Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS trailer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2019 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Consensus: great looking monster battles combined with a bad plot, bad dialogue, two-dimensional characters."

In my experience, this is pretty much the definition of a Godzilla film. I certainly haven't seen all of the Japanese films, but every Godzilla movie that I have seen can be summarized as cool monster fights surrounded by irrelevant nonsense.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2019 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ray Brady, yep... that's my thoughts, too.

Most people who go to see a Godzilla film typically go to see giant monsters engaged in cool fights, with the humans there to give some sort of reason or explanation for the fights. Therefore, this film delivers on what most fans expect and/or want from a Godzilla film.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2019 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Saw it.  Kinda liked it.  Wanted to love it...but simply couldn’t. 

Spoiler talk coming....

The plot was way too complicated and evolved with ‘people’.   The entire movie could have gone down without the stupid machine doing its thing.  

Why couldn’t Ghidorah just ‘show up and do his thing?   What better way to demonstrate that this massive 3 headed dragon-thing is an alien creature than to show it emerging from outer space and arriving on Earth?

Then his arrival awakens other kaiju (including Godzilla). Then...Ghidorah fights and kills other the other kaiju....and Godzilla is the one left to fight him...and ultimately win...making him King Of The Monsters.   

And the set up for Godzilla vs. Kong would be Kong leaving Skull Island to challenge the new king.  Do it that way and we don’t have to suffer through a woman awakening monsters and willingly/unwillingly (can’t tell which she was) setting monsters free to destroy the Earth. 
We also don’t have to suffer through an hour of searching for Millie Bobby Brown. 

What should have been an out of the park home run....was more like a blooper to the corner that only made base because the fielder flubbed his glove.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 03 June 2019 at 4:33am
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2019 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The previous movie could have been called "The Boring Adventures of Lt. Brody, guest-starring Godzilla."

Haven't seen this yet, but sounds like Hollywood still hasn't realized that once the monsters show up,  the humans should be mostly irrelevant....unless interacting with or talking about the monsters.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2019 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Consensus: great looking monster battles combined with a bad plot, bad dialogue, two-dimensional characters."

In my experience, this is pretty much the definition of a Godzilla film. I certainly haven't seen all of the Japanese films, but every Godzilla movie that I have seen can be summarized as cool monster fights surrounded by irrelevant nonsense.

There are better ones and worse ones. From the Showa Era, Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) had humans who actually mattered and were not engaging in irrelevant nonsense (the film is satirical anyway, though the monsters are taken seriously. No anthromorphic traits.) Then the series devolved into pure "kid stuff."

The better films from the Heisei Era -- The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah -- had human characters who at least felt like they mattered.

The Millennium Era stories are hit and miss. GMK, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. had characters who were at least as three-dimensional as in the Heisei films I mentioned above. 

In Shin Godzilla there are a ton of human characters and they're mainly used to satirize Japanese government bureaucracy, but the ones who get "filled out" get filled out well (though the character who's supposed to be Japanese-American is clearly just "plain" Japanese -- when speaking English she doesn't sound like someone who grew up in the U.S. This is the only Godzilla movie where I prefer the English dub!).

Edited by Adam Schulman on 03 June 2019 at 8:28pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
And the set up for Godzilla vs. Kong would be Kong leaving Skull Island to challenge the new king.  Do it that way and we don’t have to suffer through a woman awakening monsters and willingly/unwillingly (can’t tell which she was) setting monsters free to destroy the Earth. 
We also don’t have to suffer through an hour of searching for Millie Bobby Brown.

To be fair, it was about 10 minutes of screen time and not an hour of a 2 hour 15 minute movie.  

Me? I loved it for what it was.  I had problems on the character front, but that's to be expected when watching one of these films. I think KONG: SKULL ISLAND is the exception and not the rule. That said? It fulfilled everything I wanted from a Godzilla movie and more.  The "more" being some amazing CGI.  As a summer escapist film, I thought it more than delivered.  Not as great on that score as the aforementioned SKULL ISLAND, but better than the previous film and, ho boy, better than both in terms of world building.  A ton of bricks were laid with this film and I hope Legendary gets the chance to pay them off.  

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Why do we accept/expect the human element of these movies to be lacking? The main characters were awful and uncharismatic. The plot was lousy and confusing. Why is this OK in a Gozilla movie? Shouldn't we want both a good monster movie and coherent story? Especially, with the cost associated with going to the theatre now a days. Wouldn't a Godzilla film with a quality human story be amazing? 

That being said, I really enjoyed this movie, despite the leads who were uninteresting and cruddy story. Rodan was great. King Ghidorah was awesome. I loved Godzilla's underwater lair. I would have preferred at least one monster scene that was better lit, but I liked all the scenes. I thought the end credit scene was great. It tied off a little bit of story and set up for the next one. Fun time at the movies. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"To be fair, it was about 10 minutes of screen time and not an hour of a 2 hour 15 minute movie. "

Understood....

But....Sure felt like an hour.  

I'm in Bryan's camp.  Give me the best giant monster battles CGI can generate....AND give me likable human characters operating in a great story that serves both monster and man well.  

This entry fell short by half of the equation.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brandon: It's going to be really interesting seeing a King Kong that is as big as the current Godzilla.

This references a scene from the 1962 King Kong vs Godzilla movie:

KK vs G Tree Scene

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I only have 2 complaints about this movie. The first complaint is that the story with the humans was stupid, especially the bad guys evil plan. It didn't make sense that a woman who lost her son to Godzilla would help some eco terrorists awaken several monsters. My second complaint is that during the monster battle scenes (which were really cool), the director felt the need to keep cutting back to the humans so that we could see how they were fairing during the monster fight. NEWSFLASH Hollywood filmmakers we don't watch a giant monster battle movie to see how the humans are doing during the giant monsters fight scenes. Heck, we don't even go to these types of movies to see the humans. We want long giant monster fight scenes without the camera having to cut away to show us what the humans are doing. I think that the monster fight scenes were done better in Kong:Skull Island by spending a little more time showing us the monster battle scenes and by having those scenes either occurring in the daytime or well lit night time scenes. Speaking of Kong:Skull Island, I agree with Matt that K:SI was a better film than G:KOTM.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was disappointed. Like many have said the human aspects were terribly written but that blow could have been softened with better fight scenes. Bad angles, helicopters blocking the action, cutaways, very frustrating. The monsters looked awesome, maybe my expectations were too high for the total package. 

On a side note, it may be my nostalgia talking but I preferred the original Ghidora "voice", much more chilling. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

@Doug

Agreed about Ghidorah’s trademark shrieking ‘voice’ being missed.

It’s downright creepy...and wonderful.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version