Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS trailer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

One of the problems with scaling up the Heisei-era Godzilla to keep up with the mega-skyscrapers of Tokyo was that the SFX miniatures and sets themselves ended up losing a lot of the visible detail work, in comparison to the earlier kaiju-eiga. The increasing miniature building scales also prevented certain street-level camera angles from being used, since the SFX stage ceiling would start becoming visible in shots.

Yes, exactly. From what I recall by 1993/94 there were lots of shots of Godzilla's image (walking, breathing fire, causing explosions) being shown behind films of real cities and such to avoid those exact problems. You rarely saw him walking through miniatures anymore.

The Godzilla films of 1999-2003 simply didn't let him get far enough into Tokyo where "gee, he doesn't look all that big" would become an issue.

Toho made the point that Godzilla 2016 was taller than 2014, but it seems Legendary upped the ante...

It's like a contest!

One thing about Shin Godzilla (2016) -- it's never clear what his internal organs even are. He's not the traditional mutated dinosaur version of Godzilla so the problem of his bones, cartilage, etc. being unable to hold up his own weight were he real might not apply. (He does have visible teeth and claws, but as a creature he's so "other" that he might not have even have a skeleton.)

I still thought he was too tall, though. And that tail was...a bit much. 

Edited by Adam Schulman on 25 May 2019 at 5:51pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I still haven't seen Shin Godzilla, nor do I plan to any time soon. The concept just doesn't grab me at all, and ithe final form is one of the uglier Godzilla designs. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian Floyd: Going to be even more interesting to see how they make King Kong anywhere near a threat to Godzilla.

--

Here's how. SPOILERS:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Kong, a baby in SKULL ISLAND, is fully grown in GvK. But he is still not a match for the bigger, stronger Godzilla, who gets the better of him in their first encounter (in a battle environment that does not favor Kong). 

But for the climactic battle, Kong acquires a very unique melee weapon which helps him even the odds, and the fray, which takes place in a massive underground cavern, is joined by a third-- and very powerful-- combatant.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nice to see a commercial honoring the original Godzilla suit actor, Haruo Nakajima:

Anime News Network Link

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The reviews so far have been mostly terrible -- including from people who enjoy the kaiju genre.

Consensus: great looking monster battles combined with a bad plot, bad dialogue, two-dimensional characters.

Sad to say, I may skip this.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I saw it last night and it was a good summer matinee movie.  It wasn't great but it was an improvement over the previous one.  Complaints about the first one were done better but still not fixed.

It still suffers from too long a run time and more importantly, the unwanted and convoluted human stories.  There are too many, they aren't clearly defined or motivated and they're ultimately pointless.

They had all the pieces they needed to make a straightforward plot that had motivation and a human element to tie into the giant monster backdrop.

Hypothetical:
The young girl from the first movie becomes infatuated with monsters after Godzilla shows up and she becomes the conduit for the audience.  She is the one who has sleuthed her way through monster citings of the past and gives us exposition when we need it.  Like their names and powers.

The misguided corporation has been trying to find Godzilla but can't but has found an even bigger monster which they try to wake up.  When they do, they lose control and that monster then wakes all the other monsters to join in destroying the world.

Godzilla arrives to save the day and aides the girl because he's the good guy.  Don't need an electronic McGuffin or any of the long, twisted situations that are in the film.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I saw it and enjoyed it well enough, the human stuff is fine and the monsters look good, especially when they're fighting.  I still think this Godzilla is a little too thick, though.  (Did I just fat shame Godzilla?)

I wanted more Rodan, but that's probably just me :)

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John, you're not the only one who has said that this Big-G seems to have been hitting the dessert cart a bit too much...

On just pure monster fight action, the movie delivers. Same for the amount of callbacks and in-jokes to the Toho films (almost to the point where I felt it was getting a little too "nudge-nudge/wink-wink" at times).

In terms of the human stuff, it was marginally better than 2014, but far below SHIN GODZILLA (2016) IMHO in terms of characters you grow to care about or root for... Charles Dance as the villain had a few charming moments, but he seemed more like a laid-back version of Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin.

Cinematography-wise, the high-paced camera action made me think more of Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS (very jarring at times), and large amount of close-ups shots of the actor's faces made it feel more claustrophobic than it needed to be... This is one place that Gareth Edwards did a better job with 2014 (and ROGUE ONE) in my opinion.

I'll have to pick up the soundtrack by Bear McCreary, and the S.H. MonsterArts figure of G-2019 is on the way, but I think that's about it for me.    

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 01 June 2019 at 5:26pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I saw it and liked it. It was way better than the 2014 movie. IMO, it was equal to Kong: Skull Island (which I also liked).

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

saw it and really liked it!

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2019 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Godzilla movie I've waited my whole life for; I loved it!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I loved it... for me, it was all about the spectacle of giant monsters fighting, with a clear set-up for Godzilla vs. Kong next year. If you can invest yourself in the numerous overblown action sequences, then this is the movie for you. The human characters were throwaways, even though Millie Bobby Brown could certainly be a mainstay in this series... hopefully.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version