Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS trailer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We get cover of that certain song on the official soundtrack...

Oh no, there goes Tokyo...
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Bear McCreary and Serj Tankian covering a Blue Oyster Cult song, backed by cartoon band Deathklok? Madness. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In contrast, the Japanese release apparently is getting a new anime-style song instead...

Alexandros - Pray

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 10 May 2019 at 9:25pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've heard parts of the soundtrack that incorporate the classic Akira Ifukube themes for Godzilla and Rodan. Waiting to hear the Mothra and Ghidorah themes in the theater, I guess.

It's clear that Michael Dougherty wanted this movie to be as "Toho" as possible. And the trailers feel that way, mostly. Except I keep wondering "where are all the Japanese actors..." until my brain starts working again.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In contrast, the Japanese release apparently is getting a new anime-style song instead...

------

Listening to that song, I picture Godzilla pensively staring at the city from the distance while standing under a sakura tree, followed by a montage of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah getting into wacky hijinks at the beach.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

LINK to a pretty cool fan-generated Godzilla scale sheet, from his first appearance to the upcoming film.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks Doug. Here's what I find odd, possibly ironic.

On one hand, the people who designed the American Godzilla (2014) were at pains to make him look more "realistic" -- like a real reptile, he has nostrils but no nose, he has visible gills since he's aquatic, his eyes were made smaller since the bigger an animal is the smaller its eyes are relative to the rest of its face, etc.

At the same time, his size was increased to 108 meters, even taller than the biggest Japanese Godzilla (at the time). This just pushes the square-cube law issue even more. And now this year he's even bigger.

I realize that as buildings in cities grow taller, so does Godzilla, otherwise he doesn't look that impressive. This is why he jumped from 50 meters (1954-75) to 80 meters when he returned in 1984.

I'm still looking forward to the new movie. But there does come a point where "let's make him even taller!" gets kind of silly. The mentality should be "how big do we have to make him so he isn't totally dwarfed by tall buildings?" I think 80 meters was fine. I doubt going taller than that was really needed. 

(I'm not even going to get into the issues involved with "Godzilla Earth" -- he's "Plantzilla" so he's a different kettle of...um...leaves?...)

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Man, that '98 Godzilla jumps out as an eyesore.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

An example of scaling Godzilla to be impressive comes from the Marvel comics series. The second issue had him next to Seattle's Space Needlle, which they mentioned as being more than 600 feet (200 meters) high, so their Godzilla got quite the upsize. This continued -possibly by coincidence- when he got to San Francisco and the 450 ft Golden Gate Bridge towers came up below shoulder height. Some problems come when they introduce the Red Ronin robot. It is slightly smaller than Godzilla, but a scale drawing puts it at 40 to 100 meters, that being about as small as they could draw the human figure in the diagram.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One of the problems with scaling up the Heisei-era Godzilla to keep up with the mega-skyscrapers of Tokyo was that the SFX miniatures and sets themselves ended up losing a lot of the visible detail work, in comparison to the earlier kaiju-eiga. The increasing miniature building scales also prevented certain street-level camera angles from being used, since the SFX stage ceiling would start becoming visible in shots.

The Millennium-era Godzilla was reduced back down to near his original size to alleviate this, but the increasing use of CGI allowed the Big-G to reach greater heights.   

Toho made the point that Godzilla 2016 was taller than 2014, but it seems Legendary upped the ante...

And I see that we get the "victory dance" version of Godzilla representing MONSTER ZERO.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's going to be really interesting seeing a King Kong that is as big as the current Godzilla.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Going to be even more interesting to see how they make King Kong anywhere near a threat to Godzilla. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version