Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Buffy Reboot Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After a failed attempt at bringing the franchise back in film form in 2010, looks like 20th Century Fox is rebooting Buffy as a television series with Joss Whedon aboard as exec producer.  No pilot or network yet.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I enjoyed the original immensely. Not sure what they can do that wasn't already done well by the original series.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I just can't imagine this turning out very well, no matter who's cast or who the director or writer is.

To mangle metaphors, you can catch lightning in a bottle only once.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So many past and current genre shows have been influenced by Buffy to the point that I feel any remake will feel cliched.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

See, now we’re moving from 1980s nostalgia-milking into the 90s. POWER RANGERS, BUFFY, etc.

Please, just stop. Stop! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I enjoyed the original immensely. Not sure what they can do that wasn't already done well by the original series. 
--------------------------------------------
Technically 'the original' would be the movie.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'll reserve final judgement too I see it. It's obvious to see the continued impact of Buffy on so many of today's shows. So I'm doubting it would be that same "ahead of it's time" Buffy was, stylistically speaking, and afraid it will just be more of a clone.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Steve De Young wrote:
Technically 'the original' would be the movie.

Thank you, Mister Pedantic. ;-))

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, if Whedon's on board... no, sorry, still doesn't matter. I'm not interested. I love the original series, and I'm just not ready to see another take on it. 

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Buffy is one of my favorite shows ever.
If Whedon is in on this then I'm completely interested.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If it's a sequel series featuring a new slayer and such, it could work. If it's a full on reboot, probably not. The tv series, for all it's faults, had a certain magic to it that made it work, messing with that doesn't seem particularly advisable.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 4:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Question: Was the TV series just a follow-up from the movie or did it completely ignore what happened in it? I saw the movie in the theaters and have never seen a single episode of the TV show. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It basically ignored the movie. They do say she had to leave schools because she started a fire at her old school, so they kind of wink at the movie. In the movie, though, Buffy's a senior with socialite parents, on the show she's a sophomore with a middle-class single mom.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The movie was also tonally off from the series.  Although Whedon wrote it, he did not direct it.  While there are some signature Whedon moments and dialogue, the whole lacks his vision from a creative control standpoint. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I don't mind there being a reboot, but the original series, as well as Angel, was/is much beloved by the fans.  Odds are I'll pass on seeing this as the original series was just a ton of fun.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I'd prefer a sequel series featuring a new Slayer with a new set of supporting players. A reboot will bring too many comparisons to the original cast.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Why are reboots so popular as opposed to doing more stories IN the Buffyverse? Or continuing stories with the same characters but different actors?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It basically ignored the movie. They do say she had to leave schools because she started a fire at her old school, so they kind of wink at the movie. In the movie, though, Buffy's a senior with socialite parents, on the show she's a sophomore with a middle-class single mom.

——

In one of Angel’s flashbacks in the two-part Season 2 finale, we see Buffy’s LA life before her parents divorced and when she was training with her original Watcher.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The upcoming series is not a reboot.  The show runner recently made it clear that this is a continuation of the Slayer saga.  

So...YAY!  Because I wouldn’t have watched a true reboot at all.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The 1992 movie was directed by the producer's wife, who had never directed before. She reportedly gathered the actors and crew on day one and said the script was obviously terrible and that this was an opportunity for everyone involved to just have fun with what was clearly a silly concept. She encouraged them to come up with their own lines and bits of business to keep things interesting. Rutger Hauer chose the Hawaiian shirt he wore as the elder vampire because, well, you've never seen a vampire in a Hawaiian shirt before, have you? Paul Reubens' funny, interminable death scene came from him just goofing around with the scene. Donald Sutherland, already a graduate of the Robert Altman school of improvisation, took it amiss when Joss Whedon, who was on the set when he could be, tried explaining that the next line was a joke, and it would be funny if Sutherland said it the way that it was written. Sutherland thereafter made it a point to say nothing as it was written, which engendered considerable resentment on Whedon's part and is the reason why Buffy's Watcher in the two-part flashback episode "Becoming" is nothing like Sutherland.

The end of the film was supposed to culminate in the burning down of the school's gym, but the production had run out of money to pull that off. In the opening few minutes of the Buffy TV series, we find out that the reason Buffy and her mother had to leave town and move to Sunnydale was that Buffy, in this version of the story, DID burn down the gym to kill the vampires. The show also makes no mention of her romantic interest from the film, Pike, who had been played by Luke Perry. With "Becoming," Whedon effectively wrote over the events of the film with a version that more closely resembled his original script. 

Buffy the TV show was a spin-off of Whedon's script more than it was any sort of continuation of the film. For those who are curious as to how that script read, the novelization of the film, written by Richie Tankersley Cusick, was based on that and not the off-the-cuff, on-the-fly improv fest being filmed at the same time. And even that couldn't be bothered to get most of the jokes right.

It is interesting that the new show seems to be a continuation of the series. I wonder if they intend to incorporate or mention the events of the comics, which fans have been assured are in continuity; a case of "in continuity until they aren't," perhaps? Time will tell. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 28 July 2018 at 12:49pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

A continuation is good, because we get new characters
and the option to see what the Scooby Gang are doing
now.Plus, does anyone REALLY think of the movie when
`Buffy` is mentioned?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Thanks for the info, Brian. I was aware of most of the broad strokes regarding the movie (such as Whedon using his original script as the backstory of the series), but not all of the details you provided.

My level of optimism for this new show jumped up a few points with the news that it's not a remake/rehash. There's plenty of potential for a legitimate sequel which breaks some new ground and develops some new characters, after all.

A race-swapped Buffy Summers? No, thanks. A new character who happens to be Black? Sure! Just make her interesting, and be faithful to the existing lore. That's all I ask.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I am not the opponent of "race-swapping" that many on this forum are. In some respects, I could see the benefits of simply startling the story over, and allowing it to go in its own direction. By tying the new show to the previous one, and presumably to Angel, additional onus is placed on the creators to "follow up" on unanswered questions ("What did happen to the characters at the end of Angel?" "What is Buffy's connection to The Immortal?" "How many actualized Potentials are out there now?") 

The comic series already took on these questions and answered them in its own way, but comparatively few viewers have ever read those. Again, did the comics "happen" in this show, or didn't they? A reboot would have allowed the show to go its own way.

As it stands, I'm pleased nevertheless that the new show now has left room for Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan, and co. to return in some capacity, but just that alone draws focus from our interest in the new Slayer, whoever she may be.

Any way they decide to play it, I'm a Buffy fan and will tune in initially, regardless of premise. I hope that whatever they do, its successful enough to stick around for awhile, whether I remain on board or not. 

I finally had to break with ST:TNG and the sequels, but I never wished the shows ill. They just weren't for me*. If this turns out the same, I will still hope it finds an audience and long life.

* Even while I was actively despising Enterprise and Voyager, I didn't necessarily want them gone. I just wanted them to be better. MUCH better... MUCH MUCH MUCH better...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I’d just rather see new stories set within the existing universe rather than a new take on the same characters and stories. The latter is lazy, to my eyes. 

I’ve often noted that think that certain actors are indelibly linked with their characters, and should not be recast. Buffy, as played by Sarah Michelle Gellar, is iconic. I already have a great version of Buffy Summers to enjoy. I don’t need to see someone else running around with the same name. I’d find it much easier to invest in a new Slayer with new villains and new problems. 

As for the lingering questions left at the respective ends of BUFFY and ANGEL, I don’t think it would be too hard to avoid them, if that’s what the showrunners decided to do. New city, new Slayer, new threats. Maybe she’s one of the activated Potentials. Maybe not. It’s been 15 years since the destruction of Sunnydale. A lot could have happened, during that gap!
The showrunners can surely play with certain existing toys in a selective way without being disappointing and/or relying too much on character cameos and references to past stories. I would vote for “same basic concept, new characters, new location”, rather than being rooted too much in what we already know. 

Setting the new show in the existing universe would bring with it a certain expectation for cameos and whatnot, but I’d prefer that they go the ST: TNG route of focusing on the new cast and new stories before—very selectively—bringing in a few beloved characters and/or concepts. Maybe just having a member of the original cast as a sort of elder statesman would work, too. 

Also, as an aside, while I do think that BUFFY and ANGEL were both fresh and exciting when they aired, they’re also partly responsible for the Whedonization of modern pop culture: The constant snark, pop culture references, and knowing acknowledgement of genre tropes made by the characters, etc. A great many shows and movies have followed in the footsteps of BUFFY. Makes me wonder what a modern BUFFY could bring to the table, since the show’s influence has sorta taken over genre storytelling, now. Perhaps more of a return to a traditional horror style? Something a bit darker and scarier?

Also, BUFFY was, in many ways, a superhero show. She was very much a riff on Spider-Man, during the early seasons: Always trying to balance her superhero job with school, work, and her personal life. Now that superhero movies and shows are all the rage, what can a new show bring to the table in a way that won’t seem derivative, I wonder?

Guess we’ll see.

Also, I really, really need to rewatch BUFFY and ANGEL. It’s been, like over a decade! Maybe longer!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Even while I was actively despising Enterprise and Voyager, I didn't necessarily want them gone. I just wanted them to be better. MUCH better... MUCH MUCH MUCH better...
++++++

I also never actively wished ill against the sequel series. They were their own thing, and took place long after TOS. It’s the prequel/reboot stuff that really gets me, since they actively seek to overwrite and/or leech off of the parent series. Namely, ENTERPRISE and STD. 

BUFFY and ANGEL both still work perfectly fine, and a full-on remake, with the same characters, seems unnecessary to me. Better to take the story and the lore forward. Try some new ideas. Take risks. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version