Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I saw the tweets, don't see how anyone could post stuff
like that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Those comments are indefensible. Who would even think that way? Some subjects aren't funny.
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Having enjoyed both GUARDIANS films I really don't know who could fill Gunn's seat.

Dave B Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Subject matter that is not funny in the least.  It's also troubling that it was known before GotG2, and no action was taken.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Very sad. Both the tweets and the outcome. 

Incidentally, can't think of a social medium I hate more than Twitter. Just damned noise. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Assuming James Gunn is not a pedophile, I feel badly for what has happened to him. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Some subjects aren't funny.

-----

Sorry, but I call bullshit.

There have been an endless stream of jokes about subjects that aren't funny: priests molesting children, cancer, the Holocaust ... Ever heard a dead baby joke?  Because we used to tell them at school daily - and I went to Catholic school.   'How do you make a dead baby float?' 'One scoop ice cream, one scoop dead baby.' WAKA WAKA.

By today's standard, apparently I have to convince people I'm not a cannibal.  

I was at a comedy club a couple weeks ago where a group of comedians, name comedians to some degree, were working out some new bits.  The most common themes: school shootings and #MeToo.  So dead kids and rape.  Did people laugh? Most of the time.  A couple jokes didn't quite work, went too far or hadn't found the right punchline.  A couple times it even got a little awkward.  But no one clutched their pearls and stormed out either.  Comedy is often in really bad taste. 

This isn't to say Gunn's jokes were funny.  They weren't, but that's immaterial.  Disney knew about this years ago.  He publically apologized for it six years ago.  Everyone had moved on until he pissed off the wrong people and they went after him.  And today, unlike six years ago, Disney feels obligated to take action.  

Let's be honest, though - had a random FOX news anchor posted this sort of thing, James Gunn would have been one of the ones torch in hand calling for their head.  But someone turned the tactic against him and he got burned.  It's too bad for a lot of reasons, but very few of those reasons have to do with the perceived taste of the jokes in question.

Edited by John Popa on 20 July 2018 at 4:49pm

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

He publically apologized for it six years ago.

---

"This isn’t Gunn’s first digital era controversy. Six
years ago, he apologized publicly for a 2011 blog that
was criticized as sexist and homophobic. In an entry
titled “The 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex
With,” Gunn speculated that Iron Man could “turn” the
lesbian Batwoman into a heterosexual, labeled Gambit a
“Cajun fruit,” and called Batgirl, who is a teenage
mother in the comics, “easy.” Facing a backlash, Gunn
said he regretted making “poorly worded” statements."

That is the only thing I could find on six years ago.
Do you have links about the tweets already being an
issue?

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No, sorry, you're right, I misread a comment where he said 'in the past I've apologized for humor of mine that hurt people' and assumed it was about the same thing.  Sorry, I skimmed a bit trying to read a bunch of articles at once.

Based on that, my statement about that Disney knew about this before is more than likely incorrect (but I'll leave it so your comment makes sense.)  

Edited by John Popa on 20 July 2018 at 5:05pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The people who crusaded this up are opportunistic knuckle-draggers working on behalf of a prominent conservative media figure who Gunn called an asshole in a tweet the other day, a petit-Limbaugh type who makes his living cracking jokes of equivalent taste about blacks, women, gays, Arabs, sexual assault, etc. There's zero good faith driving this, just retaliation, and Disney shouldn't have capitulated. They knew they hired the screenwriter of Tromeo and Juliet.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think people need to stop treating Twitter like their personal living room or a comedy club. Offensive jokes that are appropriate in the context of a comedy club or among a small group of friends who understand your intent take on a different tack out in public.

I think we also need to acknowledge that people can grow. There’s a difference between someone who is recalcitrant about their past and someone who realizes they were wrong and resolved to change. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Seriously, it used to be when a Republican politician made the mistake of criticizing some typically vile Rush Limbaugh bloviation, they'd be forced to issue a craven apology within a week. Now somebody who helped make $1 billion for Disney has been hounded out of his job 48 hours after mouthing off to a right-wing fringe figure. It's a particularly concerning canary what just dropped in our coal mine. 

Edited by David Miller on 20 July 2018 at 5:19pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave B Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

John Papa, please don't allow my opinion to stand in the way of your enjoyment of rape and pedophilia jokes.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Oh, since a right winger pointed it out, that makes it
all okay.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

This is one of those things I wish could be tested with
time travel. Go back a couple of days and reveal a right
winger said these things, get the reaction, then reveal
that it was actually James Gunn.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Patton Oswalt's take:  Link

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Go back a couple of days and reveal a right  winger said these things, get the reaction, then reveal  that it was actually James Gunn. 

——-

I wouldn’t expect these types of jokes from a right-winger. It’s edgelord material.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I’m not sure Gunn’s conservative critics should be celebrating here. If their argument is that people should be free to speak and not have to capitulate to “outrage culture”, they’ve lost the argument.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I would HATE to be judged by jokes I made, or frankly anything I said or wrote years ago.  However, this is DISNEY after all and these were jokes about child rape, etc.  They didn't have a lot of choice.

Marc

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The "I'm different now" defense really doesn't work for me, but we should also be holding our presidential candidates to an even higher standard then, shouldn't we?

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

When I first read this story it seemed there were a couple very outrageous tweets, but there are many. 

Roseanne was fired, ridiculed, ostracized called racist for her irresponsible "joke" tweet.  Some defend Gunn's tweets on, rape, child rape, anal rape of a sleeping female friend, NAMBLA participation and more as bad jokes from years ago. 

Like Rosanne, James Gunn is solely to blame for his actions. The right wing nut who made it a story did not put those thoughts into his head and force him to post them. Disney would have had a nightmare defending keeping Gunn when they fired Roseanne, they needed to keep this a Gunn story not a Disney story.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The real issue at hand is whether or not it's fair to destroy someones career because they said something stupid or offensive, especially if it was years in the past and not yesterday. Pretty much every person on the planet has said something stupid or made an inappropriate comment at one point or another in their lives. Should you lose you job because something stupid you did years ago? If everyone was held to the same standard that people are currently holding public figures to, almost all of us would be out on the streets.  If there is a statute of limitations on criminal charges, shouldn't we also have one with regards to saying dumb things? If you said something stupid or offensive years ago and apologized for it, shouldn't that be the end of it instead of dragging it up again years later just to drag someone through the mud to satisfy a "gotcha!" mentality?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Honestly, I have to be objective here & not subjective. Objectively, if this was Trump, like with his ‘locker talk’ tape & the other things he has said in the past, I would be calling for his head. 

So, yeah, I think he has to go. 

But so does Trump. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I think that's where I am as well, James.  Gunn came out pretty hard against Rosanne and now...this.  I get what David Miller said upthread and the literal sickness I felt at an alt-right provocateur who has said truly hateful and shameful things using Gunn's decade old Tweets to bring him down, but at the end of the day Disney has to act in its own best interests. Yes, they hired someone who had a track record of saying offensive things.  Yes, Disney shares some of the blame for turning a blind eye to past behavior on the internet that, in hindsight, should have been vetted in a much more stringent manner.  But Disney/Marvel has always touted character above creator in everything they do.  Actors who originate roles can be replaced, directors who ask for too much money or (in this case) may sully the brand are ejected.  All to preserve character and franchise above any individual.  

It sucks.  I know James Gunn personally.  I worked closely with him for nearly six months when he was one of the judges on the first season of VH1's SCREAM QUEENS.  He was as honest, caring, kind and professional an individual as you'd ever want to meet.  But Disney was stuck between a rock and a hard place.  At the end of the day business won out.  Shouldn't be surprising, but I am torn nonetheless.  

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version