Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Exit Capaldi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I caught the last twenty minutes or so of the final Capaldi episode last night.

They can always get me misty with a Lethbridge-Stewart reference, but most of the rest of it just made me mad. The Doctor has his memory restored (apparently) and this is represented by.... ^#&^ing CLARA? For a moment I thought we might see a parade of Companions, but no. Mary Sue was all.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Doctor has his memory restored (apparently) and this is represented by.... ^#&^ing CLARA? For a moment I thought we might see a parade of Companions, but no. Mary Sue was all.

-----

In Clara's final episode, the Doctor's memories of her were erased. He remembered he knew someone named Clara and what that they did together, but he couldn't remember any of the specifics about her. That bit was tying up that loose end.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In Clara's final episode, the Doctor's memories of her were erased. He remembered he knew someone named Clara and what that they did together, but he couldn't remember any of the specifics about her. That bit was tying up that loose end.

How did that qualify as a "loose end"? Sound more like untying something already tied!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The final Capaldi episode WAS a parade of former companions; it's just he only had three in his run so it was a short parade. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

One thing I haven't particularly enjoyed about the Moffatt Era was how companions had to be special in some way.

I miss the contrast of the Doctor and his mystique being a contrast to the ordinary human companion.

It also feels like they've taken a leaf out of some comic publisher's books. Everything has to be interconnected, civilians have to have something about them, civilians have to be linked to a villain or a profound occurrence decades earlier, etc.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The final Capaldi episode WAS a parade of former companions; it's just he only had three in his run so it was a short parade. 

-----

I was just happy that they didn't trot out River Song again.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"One thing I haven't particularly enjoyed about the Moffatt Era was how companions had to be special in some way."

The Moffatt era? I think you should rephrase that. It would be more accurate to say it's been a tenet of 'New Who' ever since it came back.

Look at the companions under Russell T Davies. Rose and her 'love' with the Doctor and her merging with the heart of the Tardis, Martha and her walk around the world to preach the religion of the Doctor and get everyone wishing a Space Jesus version of him into being to save the day, Doctor Donna and the magic button that defeats all the Daleks!

If anything Amy Pond seemed normal by comparison. But yeah, Clara sadly did fall into full blown Mary Sue territory. So it's more like Moffat just continued the trend, as if he didn't want the companions in his era to pale by comparison.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The first two or three Capaldi episodes were all right, but I got increasingly irritated as they went on. By the end... Let's just say things seemed indulgent.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I enjoyed Capaldi's last, Clara free season.  The first season seemed to be apologizing that Matt Smith was gone.  The second season was Clara and her Timelord sidekick.  But freed of her, Capaldi was pretty good, and I didn't mind Bill at all.  His final Christmas special, though, was pretty tepid.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I only started watching WHO regularly during Matt Smith's last season, and I frickin loved Moffat's entire run. Capaldi was just about a perfect Doctor, playing the mean old softie God and Verity Lambert intended, and I enjoyed Clara very much, both for her looks and her personality. Looking back, the first or maybe second nuWho I ever saw was the episode introducing River Song, and I found that entire storyline to be very compelling. Missy was a hoot. 

Moffat did peter out at the end; Series Ten was almost evenly divided between great first part episodes and deflated second part episodes. (Not that inconsistent quality represents a shocking departure for the show, based on what I've seen.)

I wish Capaldi had stayed for the new head producer.I'd have liked to see what he could do with a fresh collaborator.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Everyone has a right to their Doctor and to enjoy Who on their own terms. That said, it seems a little strange to have someone calling the twelfth Doctor perfect without recourse to what came before (and invoking Verity Lambert, she who worked on the show for all of two years).

If Capaldi was just about a perfect Doctor then good for you. Myself, I prefer the Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee/Baker take on the character which was simultaneously split four ways and still the same hero.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It was a joke, dude. I grew up aware of Doctor Who, but as a non-watcher, in multi-second flips through PBS I absorbed a parade of mean old men, broken up by a couple mean younger men. When I heard about 24 year old Matt Smith's casting, it interested and appealed to me the same way the idea of a kid out of college replacing a (voluntarily) retiring Captain Kangaroo would have appealed to me. And I liked him, but Capaldi fulfilled my platonic ideal of Doctor Who which is obviously informed by the first four actors who played the role.

I've watched some of the old serials and Troughton is my favorite of that vintage. I found him the most appealing personally, and he had the most compelling stories. Not sure if there's a link.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

So when you wrote 'Capaldi was just about a perfect Doctor' it was a joke?

So what it is the no joke version? Please articulate.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The part about God and Verity Lambert was a joke. I unironically believe Peter Capaldi was a perfect Doctor Who. 

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Moffat did too many regeneration scenes in his run - not least because he bungled every one, right up to the end.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I unironically believe Peter Capaldi was a perfect Doctor Who.

Doctor who?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I'd trade a lot for a single season of William Hartnell on his game. The earlier you go you have to remember it was practically a live program with almost no budget for second takes never mind effects. Like the 1933 King Kong they made up for the limitations and muffed lines or wobbly wall with some great imaginative writing and design.

All the CGI and fifteen takes of every line... and yet they came up with junk like a Christmas planet where it's always winter but nobody starves, and a creature hatching from our moon that was really an egg that laid a new moon (with craters and the same mass... how absolutely stupid)!

The best of the new Doctor by far to me has still got to be Eccleston. Capaldi or not Capaldi was never the problem, nor Colin Baker or not Colin Baker; it's the production side that's often been embarassing.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version