Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: TITANS (DC Universe) TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2018 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here is a slew of various DC shows including more trailers for Titans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0j9-vn6xeM

At this point, I don't know what to say.  There is "some" good in these previews that has me interested but I feel like I'm a racist.  Titans looks like it might have possibilities but they made Starfire black.  Braniac and Doomsday look pretty good on Krypton but they made Zod black(he may have appeared in Supergirl before Krypton, I don't know).  Agent Liberty gets some screen time but now he's black.

I assume that I should feel guilty for not embracing these changes since I'm usually wrong about these things but it makes me not want to watch any of them when it seems they're so blatantly forcing these things into shows.

Black Lightning actually looks pretty good even though the costumes look pretty awful(like many of the various shows).  But is it some sort of message that the villain is a "white" black guy?  Is it a criticism of all of the race swapping or just white is bad even when it's black?

I just don't know what to think.  I feel like if I was wrong and/or racist that I'd want ALL the characters to be white but I still feel guilty that I've got these complaints about all the character changes.  I just don't know DC.  Oh, and Supergirl's super suit looks terrible.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
But is it some sort of message that the villain is a "white" black guy?  Is it a criticism of all of the race swapping or just white is bad even when it's black?

Tobias Whale first appeared in Black Lightning #1 (1977) as Black Lightning's archenemy and as an albino black man. There may have been a message there, but it's certainly not commentary on anything current.

QUOTE:
I feel like if I was wrong and/or racist that I'd want ALL the characters to be white

Well, you'd definitely be wrong for wanting Starfire to be white. She's orange! And her facial features don't really match any human race.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 3:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

She's orange! And her facial features don't really match any human race.

You don't think so?  I always thought they were caucasoid.  Pupil-less and big hair, but caucasoid.  Not negroid or mongoloid.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You don't think so?  I always thought they were caucasoid.  Pupil-less and big hair, but caucasoid.  Not negroid or mongoloid.

-----

Later artists might have drawn Kori as a white girl with orange skin, but I don't think you can say that about the character that Perez originally drew. She had alien features that don't really map on to anything specifically.

It's probably like how people in the US think certain anime characters are white, while people in Japan look at the same characters and see them as Asian.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The producers did their job fixing Starfire. I will do mine by not watching Titans. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

George took special care to give Kori a distinct look, especially a kind of joyful innocence. Later artists bulldozed right over that and turned her into another cookie cutter bimbo.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I always thought Perez was trying to give Starfire hispanic features.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It just seems that the DC people working on the movies, TV shows, and comics are just embarrassed by their jobs.  Robin just has to be butch, dark, and profane because once upon a time he wore shorts.  (Which was actually a beautifully designed, perfect costume.)

At least I get the impression that the people working on the Marvel movies and TV shows actually LIKED the characters and the stories they're based on.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

<<"Batman is a killer and Robin wants to get away from
that. The idea is that he doesn’t want to become a killer
himself. ">>

Batman who never uses guns and draws the line at killing
anyone, ever. That Batman?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

An example, perhaps, of that selective fidelity Hollywood loves to invoke when it suits their agenda.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

At least I get the impression that the people working on the Marvel movies and TV shows actually LIKED the characters and the stories they're based on.

=======================================================

Good, bad or indifferent how you feel towards him, Kevin Feige ensures that this stays the case. WB just seem to let people do what the hell they want, and, after giving Feige the superhero movie model with Superman: The Movie, still can't figure out why Marvel have got it right more than they have wrong.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't get this desire by various screenwriters to have Batman kill people. Did they miss the reason why he doesn't use guns?

Also, "I always thought Perez was trying to give Starfire hispanic features." Yes. GP's wife, like Perez himself, is Puerto Rican. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

An example, perhaps, of that selective fidelity Hollywood loves to invoke when it suits their agenda.

"Let's go back to the days when Batman was basically just a Shadow rip-off before he became a distinctive character in his own right." 

And that's more coherent and historically-informed and "intellectual" than what said Hollywood people were thinking.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version