Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Help Identifying Poster and Artist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As mentioned, it was a Post Cereal promotional giveaway.  There were other posters as well as mini comics.  I'm hoping that posting a variety of them will spark someone's memory because now it's driving me nuts not knowing the answer.  Since I wasn't familiar with the Superman in space image I thought maybe it was done specifically for the poster.  But the other images seem to be repurposed so I don't know.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mr Haslett

Thank you for the compliment, if ever we meet, the first round of adult beverages are on me. :)

Mike Nasser's style changed over time, and he improved quickly in the early part of his career, but there's really not a very large sample-size of his work. He did some work for Marvel and penciled the cover for ROM #1 which was rejected and drawn instead by Frank Miller. I saw the cover Mike Nasser drew in Roger Stern's office many years ago and it was ..... odd, it wasn't what he was asked to draw. 
From what I remember, Nasser left comics for a while and began a journey of personal discovery as it were, and changed his last name to Netzer. He's done some work since, a lost opportunity I'm afraid.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nasser (who now goes by the name Michael Netzer) is accessible on facebook if someone wants to ask him.  I'm not going to do it because I don't think it looks like his work. 

I agree with Eric that Superman's pose looks very much like something Joe Staton would draw.  Heavy Giordano inks could obscure his style beyond that.  Either that, or it's the work of Continuity Studios, which could be any of a dozen guys, or possibly more than one penciler.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks for the update on his name, I sent him an IM so if he responds, I'll post it here.  I would just wait until I got a response but it might be better if we all didn't bombard him with the same question.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't think it looks like Nasser/Netzer, and neither Joe Staton, overall. The inking is someone aping a Neal Adam's style, like you'd see in the work of Continuity Studios. And since CS did a lot of the commercial art used in marketing in that era, I'd say it's the most likely. It's good to ask Nasser, though, because even if it's not his work, he might still know or recognize who did it.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 11 July 2018 at 6:09pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

He replied pretty quickly but doesn't know either:

No idea, Andy. Looks like it started as an Adams figure around the torso and then someone else changed the legs and other things.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, there's that!

I stand by my compliment to Mr. Vandernet's knowledgeable opinions-- this one's just a little trickier than usual. Plus, I'd love to share some hypothetical adult beverages some hypothetical day!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version