Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: The Influence of The Mad Titan Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The popularity of Thanos in the wake if Infinity Wars is really something to behold....

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Yes, Thanos is Hot"

Just... Wow.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I can beat that... yesterday, my mom stopped by with my 4 and a half year old nephew (keep in mind, I still consider him a baby).  He has obviously never seen an AVENGERS film, but upon first glance at my (MOSTLY Wonder Woman) action figures on display, he squealed with delight at the 'VENGERS when he saw them.  

He went on to recite his favorite members of the Avengers (including Spider-Man) and upon seeing one of my graphic novels on the dining room table SCREAMED: THANOS!!

I was taken aback that he immediately recognized and was a HUGE FAN of THANOS.  He appreciated that he was the bad guy and all, but oh how he loves Thanos!

Marc

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

sigh

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd say "Wow!" because in the time it took a few brief movie 'cameos'....and the essentially starring in Avengers: Infinity War...this character has leapt from obscurity to being part of the pop culture conscious.  

Has ANY movie villain EVER completed as heinous an act as Thanos?
There may have been PLANS to do something dastardly....but Thanos actually did it...in one of the biggest films of all time.  

The character is a bigger 'star' (influencer) than anyone DC Comics has brought to the big screen that isn't Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.

Quite an achievement for the MCU.  And a great example of how to introduce an impactful bad guy.

And the little stunt Reddit is about to pull is really funny.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 05 July 2018 at 10:43am

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm sure lots of kids' favorite "Star Wars" character was Darth Vader in 1977. I know he was mine.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

He's no Darkseid.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Seems to me 'Darkseid' (as far as movies is concerned) has been rendered.....'inert' thanks to Thanos and Avengers: Infinity War.

What on Earth could WB/DC do with the character that could even matter at this point?  Beat the shit out of Superman?  That's been done before....by BATMAN!  

The MCU got Thanos to the big screen first.....and made a bit of a phenomenon out of him.  Darkseid has been 'teased' in a few DC movie offerings.  But unfortunately those offerings (BvS and JL) are steeped in negative reactions and underperforming box office.  

What could Darkseid do as a movie villain that could even be as remotely 'interesting' and memorable as what Thanos did with a snap of his fingers?

Seems like Darkseid's future in the movies turned to dust along with everybody else.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanos still sucks old eggs.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Kirby gave DC what was potentially the greatest villain ever. One part Doctor Doom, one part Galactus, with maybe a hint of Dormammu mixed in.

And DC blew it. They turned Darkseid into a punching bag. "Oooh, look! MY character is so cool he beat up Darkseid!"

I tried to install Darkseid as a formidable part of Superman's rogues gallery, but they dropped the ball. I tried to portray him as big as he could be in JK4W. Nothing.

So now, Pepsi beats Coke.

feh

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm a fan of Stalin's Seventies stories, but considering Jack Kirby specifically did not bring Darkseid, Highfather, Lightray or Metron to Marvel, Starlin's knock-offs, which debuted just after the New Gods books got the axe, carry a whiff of scab work I have thought impossible in work-for-hire comics.

I haven't kept track of the character since the early Nineties, but what I liked about Thanos's initial incarnation was how he was distinctly perverse and crazy, yet functionally a petty gangster with a very large army. Darkseid (Kirby's at least) wouldn't have bothered with the Cosmic Cube at all, and using it to "become one with the universe" would have been a ludicrously small-time outlet for his ambitions; meanwhile in the actual story Thanos used his omnipotence to give his father the middle finger and help with fistfights. And can anyone imagine Darkseid lowering himself to flying around the universe, personally blowing stars one by one? That's the kind of thing he sentences "lowlies" to.

Darkseid is a god. Thanos is a goon.

I'm not going to hold my breath for Ava Duvernay to get it right, but there's potential for a true-to-Kirby Darkseid in a movie.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If Darkseid was Nixon, Thanos is Trump.

Can you tell I hate Thanos?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version