Posted: 18 July 2018 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thank`s Jim, i didn`t notice! Gary Sinise in Forrest
Gump better watch out!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ouch!
Eddie Redmayne better get ready to hand his Oscar back too!

It's just too depressing to think about. Somehow an ultra sanitised world
has sprung up while I wasn't looking, and it's not pretty!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

HAMILTON is exaulted, Scarlet gets booed out of a job.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I pity the poor sap who next plays Alex Murphy!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Extremes of both supposed 'right' and supposed 'left' should just get no support... because they're extremes. I don't even care who the actor or actress is, they should be free to take whatever role offered without some supposed 'moral' assault on them for crying out loud.Can we get that much straight finally or do we have to go through another dark age of isolated pockets of fanatics dividing everything up and fighting? An actual person who works for real changes and inclusivity does not function in this extreme judgement manner.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The problem is Rebecca is that the isolated pockets of fanatics have
already got their way. They have won... This is the new norm: a world
where a trans character can only be played by a trans actor, Disabled
actors can only be played by disabled actors, lesbian actors can now
only be played by actual lesbians... It's ludicrous.

Does anyone actually think this is progress???

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hollywood went thru decades of disrespecting racial, ethnic and cultural minorities. White actors in blackface at the beginning. Italians playing Native Ameicas. Whites playing Asians, Indians (both kinds), Polynesians. Anthony Quinn, who was Mexican, played Zorba the Greek and Quasimodo (who was French). On and on.

Eventually there was some push back and, of course, the pendulum swung the other way. White characters are played by Black actors. HAMILTON happens. Anyone who complains is called racist.

So, of course, every minority want a piece of the pie. Are they entitled? I'd say yes. Should they turn into PC police? I don't think so.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

A while back, there was a brief furor when it was announced that Mr. Sulu would be portrayed as Gay in the next STAR TREK movie. George Takei himsel protested that he did not intend the character to be Gay, but, as with much with those movies, the intent of the original writers and actors was bulldozed right over.

In the light of this thread, tho, I found my thoughts wandering. John Cho, who plays Sulu in the movies, is not Gay. Neither is he Japanese. Shouldn't THESE be problems, too?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The ad absurdum comes into view quite quickly.

My favorite movie might be LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, with Anthony Quinn and Alec Guinness as Arabs. Do I wish they weren't cast? No, definitely not. 

If a movie featuring a story set in the Middle East were made today, would I prefer that the Arab roles be cast with Arab actors? Mmm... honestly, yes. Not for authenticity as much as offering actors from all backgrounds opportunities.

How far would that preference go, though? Well, that's where it can start to get absurd, and once we hit the slope -- to mix metaphors -- it can get awfully slippery in a hurry. If every actor has to as closely as possible be what they portray, that way lies madness!

I've been watching the Israeli TV show "Fauda." One of the main characters is a Palestinian doctor with close family connections to Hamas. The actor playing her is, of course, not a doctor. But neither is she Palestinian. Neither is she Muslim. Neither is she fully Arab. Her father is French. Her mother is part Lebanese and part... Jewish. Casting her made sense in many respects. But in order what's key? She's very talented, that's the most important factor. She also looks the part. After that, she's quite attractive and fluent in Arabic. Perhaps those last two aren't even essential?

TALENT and looking the part seem to be what should, by far, matter the most in casting. Maybe nothing else?!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Let's not forget Omar Sharif playing a Russian!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

TALENT and looking the part seem to be what should, by far, matter the most in casting. Maybe nothing else?!

Hollywood too often invokes only the first half of that, especially when race-swapping.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Looking the part, for me, remains essential. Sure, it can be fudged. Alec Guinness and Anthony Quinn had to be made up to look like the historical Arab figures they portrayed. But even without the make up, the casting was very good in terms of their looks -- their bodies, faces, etc. --  they were obviously similar to the real men. And, in the end, they did wear make up. It's movies. It's all made-up! The irony is that impossibly handsome and tall (6'2") and British Peter O'Toole was actually rather poor casting in terms of looks for fundamentally plain (he looked like Michael Palin) and short (5'5") and British T.E. Lawrence.

Edited by Michael Penn on 01 August 2018 at 6:34am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

We only have to look at a few recent superhero movies and TV shows to see that the idea of actors "looking the part" has gone right out the window. Take the most recent "Fantastic Four" movie, for instance. Take the guy playing the Flash in the JLA movie. They guy playing Namo.... I mean, Sub-... I mean Aquaman.

The Wonder Woman movie gave us a minor miracle in the form of Gal Godot, but completely missed the point that none of the women on that island should look a day over 30.

Step back a bit further, and find Michael Keaton as Batman, because Tim Burton said he "didn't want to make a movie about a guy with a big chin and chest."

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

No chin/small chest Batman? Maybe Tim Burton wanted to cast himself?

Growing up with my brother, who was 2.5 years older, and bigger, stronger, taller, more athletic, more conventionally handsome, everything "superior" to little ole me, it was simply a given that he'd play Batman to my Robin. Did I want to be Batman? Hell yeah! But, I mean, even as a tot... I got it. With my very dark hair and round head, I... looked like Robin. Dammit. Just no argument.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Now I'm confused... aren't we back to saying Scarlet Johansson can't play a trans man because she isn't one?

To say it's impossible for someone to pull off something by not looking like the part they're playing is fine, I would agree Marlon Brando as Chinese didn't work for me (but maybe that was as much a lack of effects back then?)... but would anybody say that nobody could've played The Elephant Man but Mr. Merrick himself? Lon Chaney played a wide array of characters both good natured and bad, hunchback to old lady! Now there was a great movie actor!

Hugh Jackman looked wrong to me but won me over and has done the role for years as the movie Wolverine, Lou Ferrigno was not the same as the comic book Hulk but worked well on tv and ran for years also. I know these things aren't documentaries. They're different from the comics but I can grant that they're their own thing. There were actors who played King Edwards VII who were too small but it worked anyway, or Winston Churchill or Queen Victoria or Elizabeth I... someone who looked exactly like the real people or earlier verisons might have been not even worth seeing never mind remembering.

There does seem to be a line somewhere of course or we'd have someone with burnt cork still to play Othello. I don't want to say the only roles possible for midgets are as munchkins or jawas/ewoks when Peter Dinklage has shown he can play main characters and maybe it would be interesting to have him as say Toulouse Latrec (or Doctor Who) perhaps?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version