Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk
Topic: LeBron to the Lakers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's been a loooong five years for the purple and gold.  I have a history with this team.  Not only was it originally from Minnesota, my home state, but I was a fan of Shaq when I lived in Florida and he was with Orlando.  Our respective moves to LA happened the same year, so it was only natural to switch my allegiance to the Lakers.  It's something I've only done once, but I didn't grow up with professional basketball.  The Timberwolves didn't come into being until my last year in Minnesota, one that saw me move to Florida, so I've been a casual fan of theirs because of my lack of history with them (also something I'll only do with the NBA: root for two teams in the same sport!).  

That history aside, y'all know what the Lakers were from '97 - '10.  Don't need to explain it except for five championships over that span.  I was an avid fan.  And then the wheels came off.  I eventually had to stop watching when they set their first record for futility at 55 games lost in a single season in '13-'14.  It only got worse from there.  Family squabbles and infighting, bloated contracts and uninspired coaching turned this once storied franchise into a five year black hole.  

So, yeah, I'm more than a little excited about LeBron coming on board.  It's always a great thing when the team you root for has a chance to recapture some of the magic of years past.  

Link to LA Times coverage
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A few days ago, Warriors fans were reacting all over the net to Kevin Durant signing a two year contract, saying that they were a guaranteed lock to win at least two more finals and acting like they're the greatest team ever (I'm still laughing at that one).

I bet most of those fans are singing a different tune today. The Warriors might make it to the finals again, but it won't be a cakewalk  for them now. (The Cavs are only going if they buy tickets.)

Right now, with the signings they've done, the team is over the cap. Will be interesting to see how they deal with that. But I hope the talk about getting Kawhi Leonard stops. Not going to happen. For one thing, even if they had cap room, it would require a multi-team trade because there's no way the Spurs would trade him to the Lakers. He probably won't be a Celtic, as some have speculated, either. Because Boston isn't willing to give the Spurs what they'd want (Kyrie Irving) in return. I've talked to a few fans who follow the NBA more than I do, and they believe he could end up with the Pistons.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

How interesting the reaction is to this move compared to when LeBron transitioned from Miami to Cleveland.  Huge ESPN announcement.  Sports world in an uproar. Social media in an tizzy.  A rather subdued reaction here on the JBF (Link) but more than a couple responses over a couple of days!  

After this move, outside of LA and the sports news, it's a collective shrug.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think people are just overwhelmed with thoughts on how this will affect LaVar and LonzoWire. :D

Edited by Michael Roberts on 03 July 2018 at 10:28am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version