Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Weekend Box Office June 29-July 1 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After the last couple of weeks that saw films open to more than $150 mil, this weekend was relatively quiet.  No change in the top two.  JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM came in at #1 with an estimated $60 mil.  Important to note its take relative to the first JURASSIC WORLD.  Whereas that film didn't drop over 50% week-to-week until its ninth week in release, FALLEN KINGDOM fell nearly 60% from opening to this week.  The difference between their domestic takes at this point in their respective runs is also telling as FALLEN KINGDOM trails JW by $148 mil after 10 days in release ($264.7 mil vs $402.8 mil).  International monies are definitely the most important factor here as FALLEN KINGDOM needs just $67 mil and change to cross the $1 billion mark worldwide, something it should easily do by Friday.

INCREDIBLES 2 continues to impress as it added another $45.5 mil to its coffers for a total domestic take of $439.7 mil after three weeks in release.  It will shred Pixar's current reigning champ, FINDING DORY ($486.2 mil domestic in 2016),  by this time next weekend.  

Two new releases found themselves in the three and four spots this weekend.  SICARIO: DAY OF THE SOLDADO earned an impressive $19 mil against a $35 mil budget.  A little hard to compare with the original SICARIO because it opened in limited release and didn't expand until a few weeks later back in 2015.  That said, once it did it earned $12.1 mil.  Considering the original was a fall release and the sequel is squarely in the middle of summer blockbuster season, its $7 mil improvement speaks to the audience for which it's intended; older males interested in decidedly more adult fare.  We'll see how it tracks over the next month or so.

UNCLE DREW looked like it might be locked in a heated battle for #3, but fell several million short.  Its $15.5 mil gross is nonetheless impressive for a film that reportedly cost $17 mil.  It earned just $1.5 mil less than GAME NIGHT grossed its opening weekend back in February, a film that went on to earn nearly $70 mil domestic against a $37 mil budget.  In other words?  UNCLE DREW looks to be a surprise summer hit.

No less impressive was the limited opening of the biographical film from India, SANJU.  Already a huge hit in its home country, it opened here on just 356 screens and scored the third highest per screen average of the top ten to earn $2.5 mil.  

Finally, WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR? continues to impress.  It has held the #10 spot for two weeks running on just 654 screen nationwide.  Its $7.4 mil domestic is good enough for the second highest grossing documentary of 2018, behind only RBG's current take of $11.5 mil.  There is certainly an audience for a film that is a celebration of warmth, caring and understanding.  

Up Next:  July 4th sees the release of THE FIRST PURGE, a prequel to the entire franchise.  Then on Friday comes ANT-MAN AND THE WASP which I suspect should open to more than the $57.2 mil the original earned in 2015.   

Here, as always, are the domestic weekend estimates courtesy of our friends at Box Office Mojo

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Third biggest film of the year so far by some margin is pretty impressive for the Incredibles 2. Deserved as well, I'd say.

Solo still scraping around the top 10...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I should also add, if I can find a cinema showing Won't You Be My Neighbour? I will be going to see it. My girlfriend is a big fan of Mr Rogers and, I have to say after watching a PBS documentary on him, I'm a bit of a fan also. I like how he was so interested in music and how genuinely respectful and interested  he seemed to be in everyone.

Edited by Peter Martin on 01 July 2018 at 7:02pm

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The movie I'm curious about is THE CATCHER WAS A SPY, which tells the story of former major league baseball player Moe Berg and his WWII espionage.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version