Topic: Movies That Truly Scared You Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

mankind is satan, man without God. "Do what you want", "you will 
be like gods". It says Satan is the god of this world, 
and we are the gods of this world.
------------------------------------------------------------ -
This interpretation of the film couldn't be further from the way I see it, nor do I think there is any internal consistency in what you said. Who was the god of the world again?
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shaun’s first three are mine as well.

THE EXORCIST (1973)
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979)
THE SHINING (1980)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Amityville Horror has come up a few times here. I'm pretty sure I've seen it--years ago, and quite possibly a bowdlerized version on TV--but it didn't make much of an impression. I remember Rod Steiger throwing up in a sink, and that's about it.

Amityville is one I might have to revisit.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't believe something like THE EXORCIST can ever happen in reality, but for me, it's more about the relatively-plausible approach to the material, the believable performances, the imagery, music and sound. Even just listening to this movie gives me the willies!

•••

I can watch Flash Gordon fly to Mars, or Jason lead his Argonauts in search oh the Golden Fleece, or even watch a man shrink until he has to fight for his life against a common house spider, because none of these pretend to be real. THE EXORCIST pretends to be real -- and many accept it as such. Which is why I can't buy it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, eh? I live alone in an apartment. I still haven't watched the DVD. I can't. I saw it on TV. Unless someone wants to come and live with me (or at least stay a week). Hey, I'm legitimately scared.

Odd, I know. I watched THE CHANGELING again about five years ago. Despite believing there are no such things as ghosts, I could not get certain things out of my head. Even a dripping tap plays on your mind. I can't explain it.

THE OMEN and THE EXORCIST scared me.

I don't think it'd scare me now, but I saw THE FUNHOUSE in my teens. Funhouses always seemed, well, fun to me (as did funfairs, carnivals, etc.). But with that movie showing the horrors that took place in one, I can't really look at them in the same way.

And as for the final scenes in HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH and 1978's INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS...

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Amityville is one I might have to revisit."

The book scared the crap out of me.
Then I seen the movie when it was released, just didn't play out what my head had envisioned.

I guess it's much scarier in mind then I want to know.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Beware of the original AMITYVILLE HORROR, Ted.  It's really pretty bogus... it's the kind of horror film that you first have to see when you're young, for it to have any real impact.

It looks like a TV movie, and aside from James Brolin and Margot Kidder, most of the performances aren't terribly good--Rod Steiger hams it up in a big way, for one; and a scene with a mildly-possessed Helen Shaver is a laugh riot.

However... some bits here & there still tap into the fear & dread I first felt when I saw it as a kid--the main theme music and the demonic cry of "GET... OUT!!!" being two notable examples, for me.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 29 June 2018 at 5:43pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The original Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark TV movie scared the hell out of me.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JAWS
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)
THE OMEN (1976)
SSSSSSS (1973)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION is another scary film. For fuck's sake, some of those demonic possessions scenes are sickening. 

Karim Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As a kid growing up in the 80s:

Dracula (1979 version)

Fright Night (1 & 2)

The Lost Boys

An American Werewolf In London

The Howling

Return of the Living Dead

The Friday the 13th sequels

I can't think of any movies that really scared me as an adult except for 28 Weeks Later

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2018 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Jaws, how many people still can`t enter the sea?

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Irresistible premise, I love horror films but don't necessarily watch them to be scared I just... like them. There's a Stephen King quote defending his right to like ugly monsters and ghouls as much as other people like romance and heroes... I can't find it now, but it's my feeling too.

Having said that, I'll try to list some films that genuinely scared me in the "I need to stop watching this" way, but that doesn't mean they're the best horror films or even good:

- DON'T LOOK NOW (it's also crazy good)
- JU-ON (before the "japanese kid ghost" was a cliché I was absolutely terrified by this)
- THE STRANGERS
- DEEP RED
- MARTYRS (the first half)
- AUDITION
- INSIDE
- V/H/S 2 (the Indonesian cult segment)
- PET SEMATARY
- THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (saw it as a kid, thought of it not as a normal movie but some horrible footage shot by an actual madman)
- THE BROOD
- REC
- THE DESCENT (incredibly tense even before the monsters show up)
- THE THING (did I say tense?)
- 28 WEEKS LATER (best zombie opening scene ever)

Most on my list are international or vintage, Hollywood doesn't seem to produce truly scary films anymore. Maybe it's a market thing... of the recent stuff I thought IT FOLLOWS and THE BABADOOK were pretty good but not in the really scary kind.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I watched all kinds of horror films as a kid and none of them bothered me until one night I caught a made for TV film called Don't Go to Sleep, with Dennis Weaver. It absolutely freaked me out and I couldn't get to sleep for a few nights.

That was back in the mid 80s and I wouldn't watch it again until a couple of years ago and though I managed to finish , I had a constant feeling of dread as I did so! 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Richard White wrote:
I wouldn't watch it again until a couple of years ago and though I managed to finish , I had a constant feeling of dread as I did so!

That was my feeling with THE EQUINOX.  Mentioned it in my picks.  Scared the shit out of me as a kid.  Had nightmares about it well into an age when those kinds of things shouldn't scare me.  Then I saw the Criterion edition on the cheap years ago and bought it.  Scared to put it in, I finally watched it.  Not nearly as frightening as it was to a kid of eight, but it still had a demonic sense of dread and fear that I couldn't quite shake.  I'm sure it had a ton to do with time and place, even nearly 50 years later, but whatever it hoped to accomplish...it did for me.  It's a fairly well-regarded, influential horror film albeit one most don't know a thing about.  It wouldn't have gotten a Criterion release if it didn't have significance!  

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

That Criterion edition is a beaut Matt. I remember them getting the rights to it when they planned a horror imprint that sadly never came to fruition.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

As a kid, I didn't watch many horror films on TV.  However:

I did see "The Birds" when I was about 12 on TV.  The scene with the guy in the phone booth with his eyes pecked out freaked me out.

As an adult:

A friend of mine and I went to a midnight showing of Romero's Night of the Living Dead.  We had to walk the long way around after the film to get to our car, and man o man, it was really unnerving.  Parts of that film were really scary.

The remake of "Dawn of the Dead" had its share of scary moments, especially when the outbreak first occurs.

I still haven't gotten my nerve up to see The Exorcist or the original Jaws.  I've got the latter one out from the Library, so I'll try and watch it this weekend.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Phil, i can`t believe you`ve not seen Jaws, i look
forward to reading your thoughts once you`ve seen it! As
for The Exorcist, i find it a bit `Meh`

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I was a scaredy cat so I didn't watch a lot of horror until I was older and an atheist so most didn't get to me.  That said, the films that have freaked me out:

THE WIZARD OF OZ- for me, the annual showing of this film was torture.  The witch, played so perfectly by Margaret Hamilton, badly scared me until I was around 5. 

HALLOWEEN- saw this for the first time while house-sitting for a friend whose roof creaked in weird ways and all I could imagine was Michael Myers emerging from a dark doorway. (edited to say MICHAEL, not MIKE Myers.  Though both might be a bit scary.)

THE HAUNTING- Five words: "Whose hand was I holding?"

THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?- Okay, a bit of a cheat but this movie disturbed me and scared me (for the character's lives) and it's horrific, if not horror.

PSYCHO- Hitchcock died when I was 8.  My father normally allowed no TV while eating dinner but he was a teacher and there was a teacher's strike going on and well, when Hitchcock dies, what scene are they going to show? I took a shower with the bathroom door open for years as though that would somehow make me safer. Never saw the film in its entirety for an additional 17 and then I loved it.

Edited by Ed Aycock on 06 July 2018 at 8:22am

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

JAWS

Hands down the one that scared me the most... In the summer of 1975 when the film was released, I was about the same age (and build) as Alex Kintner the kid on the raft who gets attacked just a few yards from shore right in front of Chief Brody.

Although it scared the heck of me as a kid, the movie is now one of my absolute favorites to watch. After reading about all of the obstacles that were overcome in trying to make the film, I still think it is one of (if not the) best movie that Spielberg has ever made.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Bill Collins said:  Phil, i can`t believe you`ve not seen Jaws, i look 
forward to reading your thoughts once you`ve seen it!
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------
I should clarify that I've seen bits and pieces of the film over the years and I read the book many years ago.  I still want to see the film from beginning to end.  I still haven't, but I've renewed the film so I've got 3 weeks to view it.  I'll likely watch it next week (week of July 15) as my wife will be out of town.  I'll keep you posted.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

JAWS belongs to that rare pantheon of novels where the film is so much better. Peter Benchley's bait and switch tale book is a big is more "Peyton Place" than killer shark tale. 

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Movies haven't scared me since I was very young. Soem do register as either Creepy of Disturbing though.

EXORCIST - There were no specific scenes that I thought were particularly scary but the mood especially when they started the exorcism was creepy. What really freaked me out was the music during the end credits. I was also impressed with how well Max Von Sydow played old. I really thought he was that age. 

RING -Saw this in the theater on a "dark and stormy  night" I thought it was the creepiest movie I saw in years. 

THE PROPHECY - Saw this when I was young. Remember it as scary as I was watching it alone home and there was a neighbourhood wide black out about 2 minutes after the monster appeared on screen.

THE OTHER - Still disturbing after all these years. 

GARGOYLES -Scared me when I was young especially due to the scene where a Gargoyle rises slowly at the foot of a bed. 

SSNAKE! - Saw this accidentally in my youth. Firmly established a lifelong  dislike of snakes.

THE SPELL - This was a TV movie about a teenage witch exacting horrible revenge on her enemies. There was a scene where a victim started out with  a fever and ended with melted flesh. That stuck in my head for years. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Ed Aycock wrote:
...THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?- Okay, a bit of a cheat but this movie disturbed me and scared me (for the character's lives) and it's horrific, if not horror...

Not a cheat in my book. I would certainly count it, as my question is about movies that scared you, not that they necessarily have to be horror or monster films. Heck, a film about war can be scary to many. That's why some of my own examples were not really "scary" movies, but still had something about them that did scare me as a kid.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The Exorcist
Poltergeist
The Ring

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version