Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Which TV Renewal/Cancellation Affected You Most? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Historic or contemporary, what's your answer? Pick as few or as many as you want.

I was disappointed that Channel 4 cancelled dystopian drama UTOPIA. 

I am glad GOTHAM got renewed for a fifth season. 

Historically, I was disappointed that THE A-TEAM got cancelled, but in retrospect, the "juggernaut" had had its time in the sun, and it was the right time to end. 

I am glad BABYLON 5 got its fifth season; at the time, I remember reading about how that was in doubt.
Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Carnivale. I really wanted to see that show keep going. Two seasons wasn't enough for me.

Arrested Development. It was amazing to see how little Fox valued that series. But then it came back. And then it came back again. So it worked out decently.

The Americans. At the end of season four they renewed it for two seasons and said those would be it for the series. It really showed how much support the show had at FX and put some pressure for everything to hit a strong end point. And it worked.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was disappointed when FIREFLY got cancelled. Likewise with ANGEL.

I was happy every year FRINGE got renewed.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's hard to feel an real emotional impact in the DVD age. Shows never really go away.

Back in the before time, tho, the cancellation that hit me hardest was TOS STAR TREK. In later years I would come to think of it as a mercy killing, but at the time I was heartbroken.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think "mercy killings" would make a good topic one day. Disappointed though I was to see THE A-TEAM end, with the benefit of hindsight, it would have run out of steam - if it wasn't already - had it been given a sixth or seventh season.

Speaking of STAR TREK, how interesting it must have been, in 1969, to believe that those three seasons were all that you were ever gonna get. I'd love to travel back in time to a 1969 Trekkie and say, "There are many films and spin-offs to come..." 

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would've like to have seen more of Space: Above And Beyond.

I was glad that David Suchet got to complete his run on Poirot - well, in principle in any event, as some of the later adaptations lacked the charm of the earlier episodes.

In the same vein, I would have liked Jeremy Brett to have appeared in adaptations of all the Sherlock Holmes stories.

I remember being sad when the original run of Doctor Who ended, and delighted when its return was announced.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Angel. Always Angel. I really loved the characters.

When Buffy ended it felt like it was time. Angel felt like it was in it's prime and taking off into all types of interesting storylines. And then it was gone.

I suppose reading about the intentions for the sixth season didn't help. They sounded both really epic and emotionally intense. Still feel to this day, that this show should have had seven seasons. (Sigh!)

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As for renewal. I'm not sure if this counts, but I was damn well overjoyed when Farscape got it's mini series to wrap up its dangling plot lines. (After being cancelled unexpectedly on that horrible cliff hanger.)

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Crushed when ANGEL was canceled.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've got a few:

You, Me and the Apocalypse - This was a British-American mini-series (in the logic of how British TV series works).  It wrapped up with a sort of cliff hanger - watching the series, you could sort of tell where it was going, but the network(s) decided not to continue it.  It was quirky, but well acted and quite funny.  I would have liked to see it continued.  I'm thinking of writing a play based on this to imagine where it would go next.

Time After Time - This was the adaptation of the 1979 Movie with HG Wells vs. Jack the Ripper.  It's quirky too, and was cancelled midway through the lone season.  I really wanted to see where this would go.

Timeless - Another time travel show.  These types of shows sure don't seem to last, do they?  This one ended on a major cliffhanger.  However, Sony (and NBC) are considering a 2 hour film to tie things up. I hope this gets done.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Very disappointed when Police Squad and When Things Were Rotten was canceled. 

But I realy wished that WKRP in Cincinnati would had lasted for another 2 seasons.  Would have been interesting on how the show approached the beginning of  the MTV era.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The program whose existence and cancellation has had the greatest impact on my life was Star Trek. Had things gone slightly different in almost any direction, my life could have assumed a different shape as well. Mom was a fan of the show, and my cousin was as well. Their interest propelled mine, and Trek has cast a considerable shadow over what's taken place in my life since.

Had the show been cancelled following its second season, there wouldn't have been enough episodes to syndicate it and it would likely have wound up an historical curiosity. Had it continued one more year, with both Gene Roddenberry and Leonard Nimoy gone and the role of the Vulcan likely filled by Lawrence Montaigne, it might not be as fondly remembered. Shatner was largely tired of the show by that point, and was not keeping himself in shape. The episodes themselves were becoming juvenile, poorly crafted, and unworthy of their predecessors. 

Tragic though it seems to many, including myself for many years, Trek may have debuted and left the stage at exactly the right times to have created the phenomena it became.

Another show that may have overstayed its welcome and yet carried considerable personal impact for me was ST. ELSEWHERE. The program carried a number of themes and subplots forward from year to year despite its poor ratings, surviving largely on good press and sterling reviews. Dr. Auschlander's progressive liver cancer was an element the show dealt with continuously over the years. Through a series of mishaps and miscommunications at the end of Season Five, Auschlander was prepped and ready for surgery, yet left behind inside the hospital as it was scheduled for demolition by its parent company. He's seen running down the main corridor in a hospital gown, trying to escape, as the wrecking ball smashes into the front of the building as the season closed and the screen faded to black.

Had that been our final image of the program, there's no doubt it would still be cited as a series finale unlike any other. However, coming back for one more year allowed the show to rescue the character from that horrific fate, provide Ed Flanders some memorable moments in the role of Dr. Westphall, and give the creators room to create the show's actual finale, including a last shot that called the show's entire reality into question and created the internet phenomenon that was the Tommy Westphall Universe. 

Also, aside from Season One, the show is not available on American DVD, so its removal from the air remains something of an open wound. 

Phil, I had no idea "Time After Time" had been made into a television series. I hope I can track that down.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Shows of which I definitely wanted more include the original run of Cupid; Wonderfalls; Dead Like Me; Life; Mann and Machine; and Journeyman.

All of these were terrible disappointments to me when cancelled. They all held so much promise, and the stories still had so many more places to go. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Space:-Above and Beyond, i liked the characters.

Dark Skies, i liked that they intended to have each
series feature a decade, it showed promise.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I was more than a little bummed when SyFy cancelled WAREHOUSE 13 and EUREKA.  They weren't the best shows and both had run their course, but I enjoyed that they had crossovers and it seemed like SyFy was creating its own little world.  Lyndsay Wagner's W13 character even showed up on ALPHAS for one episode.  (Now THAT was annoying--ALPHAS ended on a cliffhanger!)  I actually haven't watched SyFy since.  (Not boycotting it or anything, there's just nothing there that interests me.)

I wish the SyFy world was continuing in some way.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 28 June 2018 at 9:06am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

FIREFLY - because that was just the most stupid decision made by a TV company

NOW AND AGAIN - because I really, really liked this show. I thought it was funny, had a good premise and ended on a real 'What do they do now?'

FRINGE always felt it was one step away from cancellation and I was happy to see it renewed each season

BABYLON 5 - had that been cancelled before the story had been finished I really don't know what I would have done. Season 5, however, was a real mixed bag - weak at the beginning but stronger at the end. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Two series that were cancelled on a cliffhanger:

Twin Peaks (though of course we got the return 25 years later)

Police Story. 

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

"Twin Peaks"- yes, it came back but in a form it wouldn't have had it kept going.  It's a mixed bag though.  The network interference took so much of the original aura away so keeping it gone for so long helped.

"China Beach"- probably would have worked better on cable today, I rewatched a few years ago and it's still quite good but quite heavy for the network TV of the time.

"Voyagers"- reaching back to my youth, a fun Sunday night series that a dying NBC killed too soon.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

These shows are the ones I most remember being canceled mainly for the appeared  abruptness of it. Before the "age of information" it just seemed like there was know warning. I would tune in the next week and, "Where's my show!".

KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER- Honestly, I was truly upset when, after a few weeks of looking for it, I came to the realization it was gone.

QUARK- I would often reference this show whenever a short lived sit-com I enjoyed would vanish. Like...

BEST OF THE WEST- and...

POLICE SQUAD- Probably for the best, as you can only take so much of this type of comedy. But how many one season "flops" can say they launched a successful movie franchise?!

Like I said ,these are shows that seemed abrupt. Unlike series that had natural scripted endings or that lasted way beyond any enjoyable viewing.

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

"V" (I was 11 and I did not noticed how bad the last episodes were).
"Kight Rider".

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I'm still bummed out that FOX cancelled Get A Life and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

ROSEWOOD.

Though I blame that squarely on the creators dragging out the `will Rosie and Villa get together?' plotline, and it is awful it ended on a cliffhanger that may have resolved that issue.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I was very young, but THE INCREDIBLE HULK. No resolution. And the follow-up made-for-TV-movies were very, very bad. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I concur, Mr Schulman.

An old sci-fi magazine of mine had a feature on the show. Apparently, Kenneth Johnson wanted to do a two-part finale where Banner goes on trial for the 'murder' of Elaina Marks. That would have been cool.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Deadwood and Rome. Both series felt like they had more story to tell but had to rush to an end.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version