Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Luke Cage Season 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Honestly, I didn't even know this was coming until it was already on.  Are we really that jaded now, the companies don't even promote these things anymore?

I finally had time to sit down and watch the first episode (directed by Lucy Liu of all people!) and it opens with a scene that's sure to color my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the whole season.  Cage walks into a drug den and (after both sides admit they know nothing's going to happen) half a dozen bad guys unload dozens (hundreds?) of bullets at Cage, with all bouncing off.  Okay, that's to be expected but...

He's wearing another sweater/hoodie--that's undamaged!!!  Cage is bulletproof, but his clothes aren't!  The best thing this show (that's sometimes very slow) has going for it is its realism, right?  How--what--why?!?  Did they expect to add bullet holes (and impacts) later in post?  I don't think so, since the design on the front of the hoodie is mentioned later.  Did they think we wouldn't notice?  Or is the show suddenly a spoof?  I think even a cartoon show made for 9 year-olds would have shown the garment in shreds.

So, what exactly was the thinking here?  I can't believe that between the star, the other actors, the writer, the director, the editor, anybody who wandered onto the set, etc., nobody said anything.  The stupidity of this opening scene (that's supposed to grab and hold the viewer for the entire season) makes me wonder how bad or dumb the rest of the season is going to be.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe you need to adjust the contrast levels on your TV? His hoodie is clearly damaged and full of bulletholes in that opening scene. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This season has been a slow burn, but I'm enjoying it. I think people who have complained about the pacing of past Marvel Netflix shows may think it's too slow. My criticism is that, at times, Luke becomes a side player on his own show. It seems that the showrunner took to heart the comments on the first season about people preferring the episodes with Cottonmouth as the villain over the episodes with Diamondback and placed a lot of focus on making the villains compelling. They are, but between that and advancing Misty's story, Luke's character arc occasionally takes a back seat.

There's a Power Man and Iron Fist episode which I liked a lot. Danny's personality is much improved over his own show and THE DEFENDERS. Rather than having third seasons of LUKE CAGE and/or IRON FIST, I'd rather have a new series where they are paired together.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, you can see how I missed it.  Isn't it weird how the holes are mostly between the letters?

And seriously, with all the shots they took, don't you think the hoodie should be in tatters?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

He took fewer shots than you were suggesting above, and I suspect that his hoodie being in tatters would be more “Hollywood” than what was depicted.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I really enjoyed it.  In terms of pacing, though, I definitely have come tot he conclusion that as much as I've enjoyed Luke Cage, Daredevil, and the Punisher, if these seasons were 10 episodes instead of 13 they'd be about perfect.  I think Cage had basically one too many rematches with Bushmaster for example.  Each was well done, but tighter storytelling made it better.

I also agree about Danny Rand.  From what I hear, season 2 of Iron First, which has already been shot, took into account a lot of the criticism of season 1 and Defenders, and is going to be much more on model to the comic.  I think that better approach was reflected in his appearance here.  And they teased 'Heroes for Hire' several times over the course of the season.  So I agree that a combined third season for the two of them would be great.  I also think Misty and Colleen have good chemistry.  Could be a lot of fun.  And I think I'd prefer that to another season of Defenders.

Edited by Steve De Young on 27 June 2018 at 8:10pm

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've been enjoying Season 2, 2 more episodes to go...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2018 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Tried the first episode, but it just feels like more of the same as the first season. And that was more than enough for me...

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2018 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Finished it a few days ago.  Still enjoyed season one better...but the twist at the end has my very intrigued about how a 3rd season will play out.  

And Nightshade!  Wow!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm four episodes in...and it's looking pretty good!

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I liked Season 2, it went pretty fast...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version