Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Please come back Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

However controversial John Byrne might be... whatever disagreements he might have had - nobody can doubt his influence. It saddens me how a whole generation of comic book fans have no idea who he is. So, in my humble opinion - I wish JB would come back and reboot the entire Marvel Universe. Just give JB whatever he wants. Let him work his magic. The movies aren't terrible, but what JB could do in the modern form boggles the mind. Please JB - Do it for the kids!  ;)
Back to Top profile | search

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I second that ! My boy is in his teenager years. He
reads superheroes comics. But I so wish I could show him
some new stuff form JB.
He has already read all my little collection of JB's
work, and clearly enjoyed it!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Byrne's X-Men, Next Men, Fantastic Four, Namor the Sub-Mariner were among the very best titles I read as a kid. Alpha Flight was cool and his version of Wolverine was the one that made Hugh Jackman a star... no disrespect to Len Wein or Herb Trimpe or Dave Cockrum.

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It saddens me how a whole generation of comic book fans have no idea who he is.

I think that's simply how it works. No one enters a field of interest and starts with the legends. You start with what's current. Today's books. You start there and as you learn more, you delve into the history and learn who made the way for your current favorites and some aspects lose appreciation [oh they got that from there] and for others, you gain a new respect. You understand what a classic is...you learn the context for the current state of the industry or pop penetration. There's a whole slew of fans being birthed on movies and TV and don't read comics - and also a ton of new people that are turned on to comics because they want to get back to the source. etc...

It's the responsibility of the industry to celebrate itself and its heroes while paving the way for new and fresh talent. For the new talent, it's their responsibility to show deference and tell the truth about 'where they got it from'. There aren't too many interviews or articles that don't mention Mr Byrne as some kind of influence or inspiration. Even when they are trying to refer to him in an insulting way, they STILL have to give him his credit and due. You can't take that away.

No need to feel bothered, they will all learn in time.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I believe that there is an office and drawing board waiting for Mr. Byrne at any number of comic book companies, should he decide to pick up the pencil and word processor again. While I surely cannot speak for him, I have inferred from his comments that right now, he is busy doing nothing. There are a lot of readers who are indeed missing out on some fine writing and art... but there is also plenty of archived material available for them to see how it's done right.

When (if) he comes back to comics... or to novels... or more Star Trek... I'll be right there. But I'm afraid that mighty as Juggernaut John Byrne is, even he can't save the comic industry by himself.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't want to be Mr. Fix-It any more -- even assuming the companies think they're broken.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I can't imagine JB doing any Marvel or DC work unless allowed to work in a "pocket universe" where he could effectively ignore ridiculous accretions and retcons etc., a la Hidden Years. That way there'd be nothing to fix because nothing would be broken.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm with Drew here. When I was a kid and a already a huge JB fan I thought Jack Kirby's art to be so weird.

Even when I started getting into drawing I couldn't properly get it. Then it finally clicked and I felt so silly.

I find pretty hard for any future generation of Marvel and DC fans to stay completely unaware of the importance and impact of our host's work.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I can't imagine JB doing any Marvel or DC work unless allowed to work in a "pocket universe" where he could effectively ignore ridiculous accretions and retcons etc., a la Hidden Years. That way there'd be nothing to fix because nothing would be broken.

•••

I'll confess, if Marvel offered me HIDDEN YEARS again, I would have a very hard time turning it down. Still so many stories to tell!

But I'd have to have the most detailed and precise contract in human history!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A problem with the "pocket universe", of course, is how many fans (and, more damaging, retailers) are resistant to stories set in the Past.

(I've told before the story of the fan who came to my table at MidOhioCon, to inform me that he would not be buying HIDDEN YEARS because he didn't like "stories set in the Past." He was wearing a STAR WARS t-shirt.)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I support whatever JB wants to do. Considering Marvel has a new publisher, there might be opportunities where there weren't any before. One can only hope, but it has to be something that JB is interested in and passionate about doing.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The return of "Hidden Years" would make me buy a X-Book again!
This is an oath!

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version