Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: DC Or Marvel? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What I find interesting is how there still remains a brand loyalty in this day and age, considering the product really isn't all that dissimilar anymore.

Back when Marvel began, and lasting pretty much up until the mid-1980s, when DC "Marvelized" its universe in most ways, there was a clear distinction between the publishers in how the stories were approached, particularly with the super hero comics.

Marvel brought "realism," and the illusion of a world right outside your window, only populated also with super beings. And the heroes were more human in the way they acted. They bickered, had money problems, and such. Over at DC, the heroes all got along pretty well, and frankly silly stories were more common, and the stories seemed more formulaic, particularly with the Superman line. I'm not stating this to bash DC, it was simply a different approach, and aimed at a somewhat different and younger audience than Marvel at that time.

There was no mistaking Marvel for DC in the 1960s, and really not for a couple of decades after.

Since "Crisis on Infinite Earths," and certainly moreso in the past 30 years, or so, DC became dark and grittier, and evil Superboy ripped arms off of people, Joker shot and paralyzed Barbara Gordon, and let's not even think about the horror of "Identity Crisis." Marvel also darkened, and both think "realism" is being gritty and even nihilistic.

Frankly, other than a few details, DC characters could easily be at home at Marvel, or vice-versa these days, there's so little difference in the approach to writing the characters. I'm amazed that the brand loyalty is so strong, as a result, but I think it's just natural for humans to seek out one group to root for over another for whatever reason.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My reading era was post-CRISIS DC and I thought of it as a mini Golden Age (your Golden Age is when you were a kid, I know). DC books felt much better and creative than Marvel's those years, so DC all the way for me (plus: Batman!).

Nowadays they seem mostly interchangeable but Marvel appears to be doing slightly better.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 27 June 2020 at 2:00pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
Back when Marvel began, and lasting pretty much up until the mid-1980s, when DC "Marvelized" its universe in most ways, there was a clear distinction between the publishers in how the stories were approached, particularly with the super hero comics.
Yes indeed.  When I started reading comics in the late 60s, DC's stories were plot-driven, and the plots were often clever, complicated, and gimmicky. Marvel's stories were action-driven and often not overly complex, and it was not unusual to have several pages of characters simply slugging it out in a typical issue.  DC's characters had more self confidence and were less plagued by neuroses, and their private lives tended to be uncomplicated.  Marvel characters were neurotic and their personal lives were like a soap opera.  And DC's were clearly pitched at younger readers.  Clear differences.

This started to change in the early 70s with the influx of new writers at DC who were Marvel fans.  It changed even moreso in the mid-70s as established Marvel writers like Conway and Englehart began emigrating to DC, along with the ascendancy of fan-turned-pro Paul Levitz to editorial power.  And you're right... by the time of Crisis, any meaningful distinction in storytelling approach between Marvel and DC was completely gone, as DC wholly embraced the Marvel style.

It also does puzzle me that there is any kind of brand loyalty post-1985.  I guess in the post-Crisis world, brand loyalty is determined simply by a preference for one set of characters over the other, rather than a preference for a certain type of storytelling approach. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 27 June 2020 at 2:52pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I never understand when people say that DC and Marvel are the same or interchangeable.  They ALWAYS seem different to me!

Even when DC seemed to "Marvelize" in the early 90's, Marvel itself was turning into Image!  (All those muscles!  Muscles upon muscles!  And women with broken backs!)  Don't forget--for about five years before Image formed, all those artists were doing their thing at Marvel.

Right now, DC is totally pursuing that "classic" Image look--the artwork (especially the inking), the coloring, the paper, the sort of "overblown-ness" of it all--reminds me of late 90's/early 00's Image.  Meanwhile, Marvel seems to be pursuing that "Indy" look and feel--decompressed and talky storytelling, way too much art with "coloring book" lines waiting for the colorist to do all the work, etc.

I suppose for a short time just after CRISIS in the late 80's, both companies were doing their best impression of Marvel, but usually they seem very different to me.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 27 June 2020 at 3:50pm

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2020 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Marvel all the way for the characters.
I only ventured to DC to follow creators and even then the characters didn't hold my attention like Marvels. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2020 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Marvel. I knew Marvel backwards.

With D.C., I knew OF things, rather than knew things.

The first D.C. comic I bought on a regular basis was The New Teen
Titans - & that was following the cross over with The X-Men.

I slowly increased to include Batman & the Outsiders, LSH. & then
increase a lot around Crisis.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2020 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When I started reading in the early 70s, it was almost entirely DC. A subscription to THE FLASH (my brother subscribed to ACTION) and I bought SUPERMAN, BATMAN and JLA with some frequency. My brother got a small pile of comics at a garage sale around 1972 and it contained some issues by this outlier company I knew of but never really read... a Fantastic Four reprint with a cool Hulk encounter, a Submariner where he also fought the Hulk, a Tales of Suspense with Iron Man and Cap, a couple Avengers issues with gorgeous Buscema / Palmer art, some Silver Surfers, a Daredevil and a couple Spider-mans. Those dozen or so comics were a pretty good sampler of DC's competition and I was intrigued enough to seek out more off the stands though it took a year or two (not sure why). By the latter 70s and particularly in my biggest collecting days in the 80s, I was almost solely into Marvel for new comics. I still bought DC back issues but other than John's Superman / Action and Miller's Batman and a few others, I was otherwise 99 44/100ths% pure Marvel. For some reason I still enjoy early 70s DC but other than that small slice of time, I remain a Marvel guy through and through.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2020 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I love 'em both but I've always been more of a DC guy.

And I love Superman above all.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I go 50 / 50.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In my childhood (early seventies) I didn't have a preference. I never really thought of it in a DC vs Marvel context. It was actually, "look they have DC comics here so they'll have Superman and Batman" or "they have Marvel comics, I'll look for a Spider-Man".
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As I mentioned, Marvel “happened” for me in 1962. I’d been aware of the monster titles (read at the barbershop), but it wasn’t until FF5 that I really became aware of Marvel as a distinct entity—tho not by that name. I had no idea what that tiny “MC” on the covers stood for. (Didn’t know what “DC” stood for, either. In my mind they were “DC Superman”.)

Since my mother severely restricted my comic purchases, when I started buying Marvel regularly, I had to drop DC titles. There was a fear inside me that the DC Police would show up at my door when they found out.

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I only discovered the meaning of DC a few years ago thanks to the Internet.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version