Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: DC Or Marvel? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Phew! Brian Hague raises some issues that I hadn't really considered before and makes some valid points.

I have always bought whatever I could get my hands on and so never considered myself a DC or a Marvel person. In fact, the more rare the issue, the higher I prized it. Here in the UK, in my area at least, Charlton were like gold dust.

I have to say, though, when Marvel first arrived it was like an explosion! The informality, the inclusivity ... and Kirby and Ditko ... wow!

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If we're talking the comics... It's Marvel by miles!

Marvel characters felt more real and relatable, the art was often more
powerful, and stories took place in the real world!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've gone through periods where I read DC exclusively. I've always liked the "feel" of the classic DCU, parallel worlds, make-believe cities, and all. Superman may be my favorite comics character of all time.

But: my formative comics-reading period was all Marvel. To this day, I get a thrill when I see old covers with the bar across the top that says Marvel Comics Group. The superheroes--Spider-Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, the FF, Nova, Ghost Rider, the X-Men, Power Man & Iron Fist, Daredevil, etc., etc.--intrigued and excited me in a way that no one from across the aisle ever quite managed to do.

I like DC, but I love Marvel--with all the emotional baggage that entails.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Started off reading Harvey Comics and Archie, with the odd issue of Superman or Batman here and there when I was little. Then discovered Spider-Man and Marvel. Found Charlton and Classics Illustrated and Gold Key.

After a break of some years, I picked up reading comics again in college, mostly DC and Marvel both. Got into Image and even worked for WildStorm for a short while.

These days, I read a mix of titles and publishers. I'm finding I follow creators more than characters or teams, mostly because I'm interested in what they'll do on a given book.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 25 June 2018 at 7:44am

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I would say that all comics readers in France are Marvel fans first. Remember that the Batman logo had to be explained to the mainstream audience when the frst BAtman films came out and consumers panels of French people only saw a mouth with bad teeth when they looked at the Batman logo !!! Then because indeed the best translations/adaptations  dealt with Marvel Comics. I personally considered DC as very cheesy and quaint. Some Marvel I considered as DC style cheesy too,  mind you (The Hulk, The Avengers, Captain America) Obviously, I changed my mind a little about this over time. But the fact is that Marvel seemed indeed so much real(alistic) to my teenage self.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've bounced back and forth through the years. Lately I've been digging Marvel just because of the movies, since the DC ones are impossible to watch (and I stopped buying the regular comics ten years ago).

But trying to put everything in the balance, I believe DC would be the winner (Batman still my favorite comic book character). Those were the comics that made me a regular buyer back when i was a kid. I clearly remember getting the last issue of the Legends mini drawn by DC and I was caught for good. I didn't stop buying comics (first the local reprints and later the american originals) for the next twenty years or so.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Interesting that Marvel mainliners (myself included at the time) often mention New Teen Titans as the title that got them following anything at DC regularly. I was a bit late catching it though, #12, the Doom Patrol story was just starting up, and that really pulled me in. A digest of old Doom Patrol reprints came out around the same time adding depth.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel by far. Even before I read the comics and my exposure was through the cartoons, I much preferred the Spider-Man cartoons to the Super Friends. Once I started reading, it was 80's Marvel at full go, so I was hooked. I've read and enjoyed DC runs over the years but I don't have the same attachment to their characters that I had with Marvel.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I guess it depends on which decade. I don't really have a preference re: "Marvel Universe" or "DC Universe." It just depends on which company is hiring more good writers at any particular time. (Or is doing less damage to their characters. Much the same thing, I guess.)

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Until '86 I was a Marvel guy. When JB
moved, so did I. Since that time, I've
collected Marvel titles but I have to say,
I'm a DC guy.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marvel.

I've loved many DC books, characters and stories but the Marvel Universe captured my imagination in a different way.

A strange extension of this Marvel Comics love is that I go to see Marvel movies opening weekend but won't see DC movies until (at the earliest) the second weekend. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

All of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, even the mediocre ones, have been better than the DC Extended Universe movies, WONDER WOMAN partially excepted. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version