Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Doom Patrol Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2018 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

They've done a bunch of character posters.  Here are a couple that worked for me.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2018 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Who is the girl in the front?

——

Crazy Jane from the Grant Morrison run. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2018 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's trying too hard to be Morrison "weird".  And I agree, WHY is Cyborg there???

Marc

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2018 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm expecting Brendan Fraser to not get along with Negative Man in this show... I've heard that he REALLY hates mummies...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This show will be a real...blast from the past.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Everything about this makes me cringe. Hard pass. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2019 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This show is sort of tickling at the 'so bad its good' bit in the back of my brain.  But not enough for me to pay for DCU to watch it.  I hope it eventually gets a second life on some other service I already pay for.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2019 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Negative Man is bisexual?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2019 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The show looks to be a take on Grant Morrison's DP for the most part. In that, the Negative Spirit inhabits both Larry Trainor and his doctor, Eleanor Poole, fusing the two together into a hermaphrodite being called Rebis. That complicated set-up appears to have been sidelined while still offering Negative Man as an LGBTQ+ character.

While this is clearly Morrison's version filtered through the showrunners' approach to the material, I'm still curious. I read somewhere that the DP has had seven or so hard reboots, with each version being somehow incompatible with the others. So, here's one more... 

Edited by Brian Hague on 14 February 2019 at 6:21pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2019 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If the show follows the characterization in TITANS (which apparently is a separate continuity despite using mostly the same actors), it’s drawing a lot from the post-ONE YEAR LATER DOOM PATROL of Geoff Johns (the Chief is an abusive, manipulative asshole) and Keith Giffen (Rita is a bit damaged psychologically and reverts to a shapeless blob when she’s not concentrating. I’m betting they’ll reveal Grant Morrison’s twist on the Chief by the end of the season.

I mostly enjoyed the Doom Patrol in TITANS. Rita could be better, but I’m assuming her character arc will involve regaining her sense of self. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2019 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Negative Man is bisexual?

+++++++++++++

still offering Negative Man as an LGBTQ+ character.

Well Matt Bomer is gay, so it's not too surprising to me that they're allowing him to play a gay (bi?) character.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm glad to see Brendan Fraser getting work again. It's been a long time, no?

I get the logic of Cyborg being in the Doom Patrol -- he's a "freak" too, after all -- but he's never been in the DP in the comics and he just doesn't belong.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The first episode is supposed to "drop" today on the DC Universe streaming service.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I watched it.  It had it moments both great and cringeworthy.

Probably the WORST “auto racing” scene I have ever seen on TV or anywhere else was part of this show.  Simply horrible.

Timothy Dalton as Niles Caulder was a vast improvement over the first guy who played him in the Titans series.  Name escapes me now.

Robotman was clearly the focus of episode 1.  But I suspect each will have their turn in the spotlight.

Surprised at the amount of nudity.  Fraser’s bare ass and fairly gratuitous shots of a topless nanny were notable.  Unnecessary....but hey, GROWN UPS love comics most, I suppose.

Highlight of the episode was Alan Tudyk as ‘Mr. Nobody’. HE is bringing something very creepy and intriguing to the table.  I’ll be there for episode 2. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Surprised at the amount of nudity. Fraser’s bare ass and fairly gratuitous shots of a topless nanny were notable. Unnecessary....but hey, GROWN UPS love comics most, I suppose.

It really saddens me that the DC streaming TV series are aimed at the same narrow,shrinking,and selfish adult audience that DC comics have been aimed at over the last 35 years.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 17 February 2019 at 1:11am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Surprised at the amount of nudity.  Fraser’s bare ass and fairly gratuitous shots of a topless nanny were notable.  Unnecessary....but hey, GROWN UPS love comics most, I suppose.

----

I really didn't need to see an out of shape Brendan Fraser banging the nanny.

The whole intro to Cliff Steele was way over the top, but I think it does pay off later on in the episode when things aren't what they seem. As silly as the beginning of the episode was, I thought Fraser really nailed Robotman toward the end. He was enough to bring me back for the next episode.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

It really saddens me that the DC streaming TV series are aimed at the same narrow,shrinking,and selfish adult audience that DC comics have been aimed at over the last 35 years.
------------------------------------------------------------ --
The DC Universe service basically features a library of TV shows and movies from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, a spotty library of old comics mainly from the same eras, and these new streaming shows.  Who did you think the streaming shows would be aimed at?

Kids these days may have $75 bucks to throw around, but I don't think they're going to shell it out for a year of another streaming service.  Dudes in their 40's will.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The DC Universe service basically features a library of TV shows and movies from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, a spotty library of old comics mainly from the same eras, and these new streaming shows. Who did you think the streaming shows would be aimed at?

Kids these days may have $75 bucks to throw around, but I don't think they're going to shell it out for a year of another streaming service. Dudes in their 40's will.

And that's the problem. Why aim these once all ages characters and new shows at a narrow and shrinking older audience instead of trying to appeal to a wide all ages audience. Of course, this type of selfish crap is to be expected when you put a selfish fan turned pro in charge of a streaming service platform that is entirely based around properties that were originally created for and aimed at all ages.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The DC Universe service basically features a library of TV shows and movies from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, a spotty library of old comics mainly from the same eras, and these new streaming shows. Who did you think the streaming shows would be aimed at?

Kids these days may have $75 bucks to throw around, but I don't think they're going to shell it out for a year of another streaming service. Dudes in their 40's will.

And that's the problem. Why aim these once all ages characters and new shows at a narrow and shrinking older audience instead of trying to appeal to a wide all ages audience. Of course, this type of selfish crap is to be expected when you put a selfish fan turned pro in charge of a streaming service platform that is entirely based around properties that were originally created for and aimed at all ages.

-----

TITANS and to a lesser extent DOOM PATROL seem to be imitating Netflix's DAREDEVIL, which by all accounts was one of the most popular titles on Netflix and found an audience much larger than the comic reading populace. I disagree with Steve that this is aimed at dudes in their 40s. Dudes in their 40s and 50s are shaking their fists and saying, "That's not my Teen Titans" and "That's not my Doom Patrol." Hell, even kids in the 20s who grew up on the Teen Titans cartoon are shaking their fists. It's not aimed at them.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

TITANS and to a lesser extent DOOM PATROL seem to be imitating Netflix's DAREDEVIL, which by all accounts was one of the most popular titles on Netflix and found an audience much larger than the comic reading populace. I disagree with Steve that this is aimed at dudes in their 40s. Dudes in their 40s and 50s are shaking their fists and saying, "That's not my Teen Titans" and "That's not my Doom Patrol." Hell, even kids in the 20s who grew up on the Teen Titans cartoon are shaking their fists. It's not aimed at them.

The Marvel Netflix shows started to lose viewers with each new season. Putting out R rated versions of characters that were originally created for and/or aimed at kids and all ages is a nice trick, but it's something that quickly loses it's shine and appeal as it goes on due to people becoming jaded and numb to the "edgy" and "mature" content.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2019 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Never saw a bare boob on Netflix/Marvel.  Nor an F-Bomb was ever uttered.

For as edgy and mature as they were....they had a line.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2019 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I think there's a distinction to be made here between Titans and Doom Patrol as properties.  The most well-known version of the Titans outside of comics is the animated version, far and away, which is definitely aimed at kids.  This Doom Patrol version seems more focused on the Morrison version, which was not aimed at kids.

But both Titans, which in its character selection et al. is clearly invoking the Wolfman/Perez era and the Morrison Doom Patrol are books that were out there and popular when I, a dude in my 40's, was in high school/college.  This connection is bolstered when you look at the DCU comic selections released when each series premiered on the streaming service, which are predominately from that era (late-80's/early-90's).  

This streaming service, for good or ill, is most definitely aimed at the nostalgia of my age group.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2019 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

This connection is bolstered when you look at the DCU comic selections released when each series premiered on the streaming service, which are predominately from that era (late-80's/early-90's).

-------

It can be difficult to tell because DC Universe's navigation is shit, but it's comic selection has a lot more 90s, 00s, and current stuff up to Rebirth. If you are seeing the Wolfman/Perez era and Morrison books being promoted, that's because they are some of the source material for the current seasons.

DC Universe also includes most of the animated series from the Max Fleischer Superman to today. (The omissions that jump out at me at the moment are the Ruby-Spears Superman, Krypto the Superdog, Beware the Batman, and the current Justice League Action). As well as the DC Nation shorts aimed more toward children that aired on the Cartoon Network. Most of the Superman and Batman-centric DTV Animated movies are on there too.

There's plenty of Millennial-nostalgia to be had there.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I have a lot of affection for Morrison's DP run (as well as Richard Case's unique and moody art), so I'd probably like this quite a bit.  Only real question I have is not exactly why Cyborg is here as much as why he's here, Teen Titans, and the JL movie.  That's a whole lotta Vic.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I really want to like this show but none of the characters are anyone I care about.  Modern writers just seem to have no idea how to make a character sympathetic and compelling.

I know they're going for deep, flawed and layered but to me, it just comes out as not caring what happens to them because they're creeps.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version