Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: DC is "Going" to WALMART Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I found the third issue of Superman and Justice League at one of my local Wal-Marts today. So far, they have had all issues and stocking them each month. Hope they continue to do so but noticed today they moved them from the top shelf to a lower area with less visibility. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My area has a number of online and brick n' mortar toy pirates so the odds of coming across a potential collectible item anywhere is limited at best. Michael, I appreciate the heads-up, but I was wise to that already. The trading card section is where I've been looking.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

DC is adding FLASH GIANT and another, so far untitled one in the near future, so it appears this deal is going well so far. I'd like to see them add regular comics or digests at their checkout lines; point-of-purchase displays can be effective and Marvel is doing it now.

Overall, maybe big box retailers can become an alternative to the direct market. As said earlier, whatever gets comics into the hands of readers is a good thing.
Back to Top profile | search

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've been to our closest Walmart in upper Fairfield County (shopping for other things, not foraging for DC comics!!) and I couldn't find them, either.

I think the press releases have said that approximately 60% of the Walmart stores are stocking the DC 100 pagers, so there's a 40% probability that your local Walmart won't have the DC comics. 

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

An update: the Walmart store I mentioned earlier in the last post has started stocking the DC 100 Page Giants, in the front of the store by one of the checkout lines.

Bleeding Cool (Rich Johnston): "It was announced at New York Comic Con earlier this year, but the DC Primal Age comic book tied in with exclusive Target Funko toys has been published. Rather cheekily, they have mirrored the branding used for the 100-Page Giant Comics line that are exclusive from DC Comics to Walmart."

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Never did see them at my local, gave up looking.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For Walmart, I understand only about 60 -70% of the stores carry the DC books. 

The DC "Primal Age" comics are supposed to be in Target during February 2019; I don't know how many Target stores will actually carry the DC books. 

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I picked up one of those 100 page giant comics about a year ago and paged through it, thinking how great it was to see comics at a check out line at a Walmart.
One of the stories in the book involved something like Wonder Woman fighting some kind of monster and included a pretty graphic picture of a mutilated horse with a severed and bloody head, or something like that...I closed the book and put it back down, thinking well, it would have been a good idea if they hadn't included a story the average parent wouldn't buy for their child. And if that isn't who they're marketing to, then what's the point?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2019 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It is interesting that many of the comics selected for the reprints are from the Nu52 era (such as that Cliff Chiang "monster-slayer" version of Wonder Woman.) Didn't the Nu52, y'know... fail? 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2019 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

All the New 52 crap in these killed my interest in them after the first issue. If someone wants a good reprint book get down to your comic shop and pick up the new Marvel Tales  Fantastic Four #1 comic with FF reprints by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and John Byrne. (FF Annual #6, FF #4, and FF #245.) Wish Wal-Mart would've stocked this one.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2019 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
Speculators out to destroy the industry again!
40-50-year-old men driving across state lines snatching up every available copy that was designed to attract new readers.

If this is the case, they may be in for a rude awakening.

Any stranglehold the DSM once had on the industry was broken forever by the rise of online venues such as eBay and Amazon. There are simply too many options for them to ever regain that advantage. It isn't 1995 anymore and readers are savvy enough (hopefully!) to know they don't have to pay some falsely inflated price for a comic when they can easily find it elsewhere.

Nearly every "hot" title or issue that many LCS owners were peddling for $50 or more during the speculator boom/glut can be found on eBay in such quantities that in some cases they are even less than the original cover price!

If there are any speculators left out there who are failing to see this, they are akin to those old soldiers hiding in the jungles for years unaware that the war had ended.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2019 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

All the New 52 crap in these killed my interest in them after the first issue. If someone wants a good reprint book get down to your comic shop and pick up the new Marvel Tales  Fantastic Four #1 comic with FF reprints by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and John Byrne. (FF Annual #6, FF #4, and FF #245.) Wish Wal-Mart would've stocked this one.

Keep in mind, that particular "comic" is $7.99.  At that price, for reprints, might as well just beef it up a little more and make it a trade.  I really enjoy the True Believer line for $1.00 but $7.99 for this just seems too high.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version