Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Danger Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have never watched this program before yesterday.  I love it.  30 min long episodes, but good writing and acting.  Patrick Mcgoohan is grreat.  If I remember correctly this program and Secret Agent lead to the Prisoner. 

Anyone else remember the program? 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was a huge fan in my middle and lateteens. Haven't seen any episodes since then, tho I did pick up the DVD set. Given the number of strike outs of favorite series from the Sixties and Seventies, I'm kind of a fraid to watch it!!

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The original 30 minute Danger Man episodes are the ones where John Drake had an Amecian accent and worked for NATO. When Danger Man was resurrected in its hour long format (Secret Agent in the States), Drake was very much an Englishman working for a British department called M9.

Danger Man was a huge hit in the UK and made Patrick McGoohan a household name, reputedly the highest paid actor on British television at the time. McGoohan eventually tired of playing John Drake, and just as the series began filming in colour, he quit. TV mogul Lew Grade was so desperate to retain his services that he backed McGoohan's own pet project, The Prisoner.

Look out for Portmeirion (The Village from The Prisoner) doubling as foreign locations in several episodes of Danger Man.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My Dad spent a week in Portmerion after the War. He was most amused when it showed up on THE PRISONER.

(There is a fan theory that Number Six was, in fact, John Drake. McGoohan denied it.)

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Danger Man was pretty hit or miss.  Some episodes are powerful, particularly the ones suggesting the Drake's psychological turmoil in having to complete tasks for his government which he knows may not lead to a morally agreeable outcome.  Others are thin and generic time fillers.  The constant is McGoohan, who always delivers charisma and gravitas no matter what material he's given. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They used to air reruns of this in Canada for ages. It was renamed Secret Agent Man I think, or was that it's original title and Danger Man the rename?

I have the final color episodes, Koroshi and Shinda Shima, set in Japan that were made just before The Prisoner. You could see them as number 6's life before the village.

Portmerion turns up in a Tom Baker Doctor Who. My BF wants to visit it someday, he missed it on other trips.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 23 June 2018 at 11:11am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I visited Portmerion when my in-laws had a caravan in
North Wales, it`s a beautiful little place, and the
Welsh scenery surrounding it is sublime, well worth a
visit.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They used to air reruns of this in Canada for ages. It was renamed Secret Agent Man I think, or was that it's original title and Danger Man the rename?

Danger Man was the original British title, the show was renamed Secret Agent for the States (we didn't get that Johnny Rivers pop song in our titles either, we had an instrumental theme composed by Edwin Astley).

I have the final color episodes, Koroshi and Shinda Shima, set in Japan that were made just before The Prisoner. You could see them as number 6's life before the village.

You could, but I don't. I tend to take McGoohan at this word that he was playing a different a character. After all, he could have gone on playing John Drake if he'd wanted to (Lew Grade would have been much happier if he had) but he quit to do his own thing. I think Number Six was in many ways McGoohan playing an idealised version of himself.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was a huge fan in my middle and lateteens. Haven't seen any episodes since then, tho I did pick up the DVD set. Given the number of strike outs of favorite series from the Sixties and Seventies, I'm kind of a fraid to watch it!!

I also own the DVD set and I felt it held up fairly well.  Obviously, it's a show very stuck in its time, but I actually enjoy such shows.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version