John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

sigh
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As someone who is very late to the Arrow party I didn't want to start a new discussion on it.  But, I picked up season 1 on dvd and was very curious to see if I liked the show as well as it seems to be by others.

I hated it.  Granted, I only forced myself to get through the first disc of 5 episodes but it was total drek.  The story, motivation, tone...it's all just awful.  

Yet another example of something so popular that I just don't understand why.  If only the actual Arrow show had some of the whimsy, fun or even camp that the '66 Batman show had.

All I saw was soap opera dialed up to "11", a wanton disregard for life by the "hero", a ludicrous back story and motivation that really didn't make any sense and absolutely no fun, wonder or morals.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Season 1 did not resonate with me at all Andy -- the idea of a cold-blooded killer as a "hero" just never worked for me at all, and it worked even less well with a hero like Green Arrow, who SHOULD have been shooting boxing glove arrows from the beginning.

Thankfully, things got better after Season 1.  Not great, but better.

The fact that this show spawned The Flash is a big plus in its favor, IMO.  If not for that we might never have seen Gorilla Grodd or Gorilla City brought to life.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Season 1 did not resonate with me at all Andy -- the idea of a cold-blooded killer as a "hero" just never worked for me at all, and it worked even less well with a hero like Green Arrow, who SHOULD have been shooting boxing glove arrows from the beginning.

•••

Remember the story Denny and Neal did, in which Ollie accidentally killed a bad guy, and to repent shaved his head and joined a monestary?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I dislike the show largely because I had a bad boss who used to come in each morning after it had been on and regale us with what had taken place, wanting to know if this character was from the comics, or if this one was... F*ck that guy, and f*ck Arrow.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John Byrne Hisself wrote:
Remember the story Denny and Neal did, in which Ollie accidentally killed a bad guy, and to repent shaved his head and joined a monestary?

EXACTLY what I was thinking, JB -- so weird to miss the mark so badly, especially on a show where markmanship is basically the main point!

:-/

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hee hee hee! That was fun! It was a neat idea, and adapted fairly well. (Okay, it made me listen to the original theme again, true... but when is that Neal Hefti such a bad ting?)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Can anyone with knowledge of special effects answer this? If a Flash series had been made in the 60s, how would they have done the super-speed scenes with the technology available?

I know, a decade after Adam West's Batman, THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN featured "slow-motion, fast-running" scenes (that felt odd to type). The music and mechanical sound effects sort of made it easy to suspend disbelief and believe Steve Austin was running fast.

But how would a 60s Flash show have done it?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

WILD WILD WEST did an episode in which everyone else was frozen while the speedsters moved at a normal rate.

(The only problem was that nothing else was frozen. When a character pushed past a curtain, it fell back into place behind him.)

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The 1990 FLASH show did the effects
without cgi. Looks like everyone tried to
stay still while he moved and the camera
was sped up during filming.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

True, but 1990 was more advanced than 60s. Genuinely curious as to how 1966 would have done the Flash.

And how would a Spider-Man series filmed in, say, 1962 have done the web-slinging?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Robbie, I'm sure the Talosians could have done it... :)

For a 1962 Spider-Man live show... maybe the same as the original Superman serials, and just animate the web swinging.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

A thing that bugged me about Quicksilver in the Days of
Future Past film, he is seen moving through a world of
stillness whilst at speed, he`s listening to music on
his Walkman, we hear the song he`s listening to, but he,
and we should have heard nothing as it was a fraction of
a second!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

That scene was a Flash scene, not at all Quicksilver. And for the Flash the music would have been wrong, too!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

That scene was a Flash scene, not at all Quicksilver. And for the Flash the music would have been wrong, too!

JB, do you think that the way Quicksilver's speed was handled in the 2nd Avengers movie more truer to the comic book version?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Trek's "Wink Of and Eye" with the Scallosians gives some indication of how they might have gone about a "Flash" series in the Sixties. Rather than having characters suddenly "disappear" ("I was looking at him. Looking right at him, and then he just wasn't there!") I'd hope they'd spring for a few frames of colored blur as the character was speeding up. Special effects cost money, however, and so they likely would not have. 

For an appallingly bad, low-budget take on the character, see if you can find a clip of him from the god-awful comedy-variety skit-storm that was "Legends of the Super-Heroes: The Challenge" from back in 1979. Hoo-boy, that scene with the couple having a picnic haunts me to this day...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Ah, LEGENDS OF THE SUPERHEROES.

In the 80s, a UK DC title published an article about the show - which featured black and white photos. In the pre-internet age, I was dismayed that I couldn't watch it; I was dismayed that it had never aired in the UK; and I was dismayed that no VHS release was on the horizon.

I did see it years later. Oh boy. Be careful what you wish for, Robbie, be careful what you wish for. I can't un-see that.

Same with the SUPERMAN IV deleted scenes featuring the prototype Nuclear Man. How I wish I could have un-seen those...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

JB, do you think that the way Quicksilver's speed was handled in the 2nd Avengers movie more truer to the comic book version?

••

Still too Flash. Altho I smiled when he tried to catch Thor's hammer!

The point that's missed is that while Pietro is much, much faster than any other human, he's not so fast that everything is frozen around him. (One editor at Marvel used to say he wanted to kill Quicksilver by having someone open a door in his path. "My" Quicksilver would see that and dodge. After all, he'd have to be waaaaay back when the door started to open!)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The first X-MEN issue I owned featured Cyclops v. Quicksilver.

I liked the battle and the outcome.

But against the Flash, I can't imagine Cyclops would've stood any kind of chance.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Those pages still miss the point that Cyclops' beams go where he's looking, and at the speed of light.

One of my ARGH! moments with Chris happened during the first encounter between the X-Men and Alpha Flight. I set up a confrontation between Scott and Northstar, noting in the margin that because of his opponent's great speed Cyclops was being careful not to hit him full on, as that could prove fatal. He wanted only to "wing" him.

Chris wrote it as Scott "missing" because Northstar was so fast.

@&$%#!!!!!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I don't want to miss the point about Cyclops, who has been from the get-go my favorite X-Man, so... may I please ask: isn't Quicksilver quicker than either Cyclops' ability to turn his head or even turn his eyeballs within his visor?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

…isn't Quicksilver quicker than either Cyclops' ability to turn his head or even turn his eyeballs within his visor?

••

Same principle applies here as with any firearms: lead the target. Cyclops would shoot where Pietro is heading, not where he is.

(My Dad instructed me on this one when I was a kid, watching some Western on TV. He noted that for the hero to hit the badguy, riding by on his horse, the hero would have to aim AHEAD of the horse.)

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

For '60s Flash special effects: during one Sunday's NFL coverage when I was a kid, they did a segment on video trickery they were experimenting with to find something else as useful as Instant Replay turned out to be. one was a technique to "drop behind" images of an object in motion. Their thought was to trace out the ball's trajectory for field goal or extra point attempts, but my thought went immediately to those comics with many actions in one panel. Unfortunately, I think this came out in the latter half of the '70s (for me to have seen enough comics to think of that), and it would have been for videotape, with no clear way to apply back to film.

One film technique is that Technicolor trick they used in "West Side Story" and that David Gerrold wanted to write the Star Trek episode "The Protracted Man" around: print the three color elements out of synchronization so that a body in motion is actually three bodies. But the Flash doesn't break down into primary-colored afterimages when he runs, and after thinking of fixes for that, it wouldn't be much different from superimposing standard color film, so go with that if you don't mind some transparency, or straight matting techniques of The Invisible Man and The Gemini Man series of the earlier '70s.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

QUOTE:
Same with the SUPERMAN IV deleted scenes featuring the prototype Nuclear Man. How I wish I could have un-seen those...

I doubt they could have been much worse than the actual film!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version