Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: So there’s a MAGNUM, P.I. reboot coming.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The 2002 Time Tunnel pilot had its own Doug Phillips, a now gender-swapped 'Toni' Newman and a Tunnel. Everything else from the 1966 show was ditched. Instead we got a show that combined elements from Sliders and Stargate SG1. Instead of Project Tic Toc, the 2002 pilot had Department of Energy scientists experimenting with 'hot fusion' and accidentally creating a time storm that alters history. Doug and Toni were no longer lost in time but now part of a team of travellers going back into history to fix the changes (fortunately this energy department had not been touched by the storm and, for some reason, had detailed records on everyone who had ever lived in the 'real' history...yeah, I know).

Personally, I felt that in this case the (re)makers had thrown away the main ingredient from the original recipe, which was two scientists lost in time. I'm not saying that if the pilot had gone to series it might not have been an interesting watch (despite plot holes bigger than the Tunnel itself), but would it still have been The Time Tunnel? Lose the names Doug Phillips and Toni Newman and you had something that might just as well have been called 'Time Storm'.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The two biggest changes are that Macgyver has a team rather than working alone (Jack Dalton is his bodyguard, for instance) and his father is still alive. Disappointingly, when he finally showed up, it was Tate Donovan, not Richard Dean Anderson. (And his grandfather has also b been shown in flashbacks, so they can't go that route with RDA, either.)

He could still be an uncle though!
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version