Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: So there’s a MAGNUM, P.I. reboot coming.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...and I hope it dies a quick death.

1. They cast Jay Hernandez (El Diablo from SUICIDE SQUAD) as Magnum, and there's nary a mustache in sight.

2. Higgins is now a woman....and younger than Magnum.

3. Rick actually looks like he could beat someone up.

Hope it dies a quick, merciful deatn, as I said already. I will NOT be watching.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 20 June 2018 at 8:46pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Didn't follow MAGNUM, but I feel your pain.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This looks fucking terrible. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't watch procedural, one-and-done in a single hour detective series any more, full stop, so I will more than likely give this one a hard pass.  But I thought the trailer was fun. That...plus?  I don't want to wish anyone to be put out of work and that includes the hundreds of people working on this show.  If it finds an audience, fine.  If it doesn't, also fine.  But I won't wish its demise.  

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was never a huge Magnum fan, but I probably wouldn't watch this simply because Magnum was Selleck.

But: Jack Lord was Steve McGarrett (and still is, as far as I'm concerned), and yet the Hawaii Five-O reboot has cruised on for seven or eight seasons now. Maybe New Magnum will catch on, too, but I won't be watching it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Anybody can be Iron Man," said Jim Shooter one day, demonstrating to us the degree to which he did not understand the character -- or any characters he declared to be "just a costume anybody can wear."

Hollywood thinks the same. Magnum was Tom Selleck? Jackie Gleason was Ralph Cramden? Robert Conrad was Jim West? William Shatner was Captain Kirk? Not if there's a buck to be made. And not if the timing is such that the original audience has aged out of the picture.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not if there's a buck to be made. And not if the timing is such that the original audience has aged out of the picture.

I fail to understand how it makes sense to use a legacy property while alienating the legacy audience. Then...who is this show for? You can't bank on the name with newbies, and you're not going to keep the old timers on board because you just broke their toys. 

If you want to do an action show based in Hawaii, don't remake Five-0, just create a new show. 

That's what they did with the first Magnum!!!

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 21 June 2018 at 10:35am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian, they did...One West Wiakiki, with Cheryl Ladd, it
lasted two series.I enjoyed it!
The Hawaii 5-0 reboot is ok, but they seem to `play
soldiers` more than be actual detectives.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

We (mostly the wife) watch the current 5-0 reboot. It started off ok, but they’ve basically made McGarrett part Batman and part Flash. It looks like they’re following the same mold with the new Magnum. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I read somewhere that the original plan was to use different music for the reboot of HAWAII 5-0. I still think the main reason for the reboot was an excuse to use the theme song so changing the original score makes no sense. For once, smarter heads prevailed. MAGNUM PI was Tom Sellack, not the opening music so if they don't get someone with his buckets of charisma, I can't see it lasting.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Who is the show for? Amazingly enough, there is still some cache in rebranding product towards younger viewers unfamiliar with the original. Younger audiences seem to be in tune with the practice of bringing something back in a new, improved form, just for them. It's a form of re-appropriation, taking something useless from pre-history and making it over again, in their image. 

Sure, new stuff is fine, but knowing this particular new show is a better version of some dumb thing from the past? That seems to score points and engage their curiosity.

Who wants some old, dumb guy with a mustache as Higgins? Our new Higgins is HOT! SO-O-O-O much better than what Mom and Dad had to live with! It doesn't matter that five minutes ago they wouldn't have known Higgins from haggis. They see the trailer, maybe check Google,  and know old people don't like what's happening. A quick YouTube search tells them why. And that their new version beats the old one by a mile. Up high! (Whack!) Suck it, old people!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't like any reboots, but remaking a detective show is especially egregious.  All too often, the star IS the character.  That's why I happily watched the ROCKFORD FILES and KOLCHAK remakes go down in flames.  (Yes, Kolchak was a reporter.  Close enough.)

James Garner WAS Rockford!  Peter Falk WAS Columbo.  Tony Shalhoub WAS Monk.  I didn't even watch it, but Angela Lansbury WAS Jessica Fletcher.  And Tom Selleck WAS Magnum.

Maybe other actors were considered at the beginning, but very quickly each actor owned each detective, and vice versa.  Rockford was an excuse to watch Garner, Columbo was an excuse to enjoy Falk, etc.

Maybe if it's adapted from another medium, like NERO WOLFE or PHILIP MARLOWE, I wouldn't mind seeing new casting for those every 20 years or so, but the made-for-TV detectives are made for the stars who bring them to life.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 22 June 2018 at 12:30am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Filmmakers forget that their original product is different from the stage. "Hundreds of actors have played Hamlet," they will say, forgetting that Hamlet was created to be played many times by many actors.

But it's different for movies and TV. In most cases producers do not think in terms of decades and multiple iterations. Unless they're working on DOCTOR WHO, they don't go in assuming different actors will play the same characters. Consider STAR TREK. When a second pilot was ordered and Jeffrey Hunter was not available, Roddenberry did not call William Shatner's character "Christopher Pike". He created a whole new guy.

There is a dichotomy at work. Movies have a greater sense of permanence, yet we get used to multiple James Bonds, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzans. TV shows are ephemeral, yet perhaps precisely because of that the actors who "create" the roles become permanently attached to them.

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Well, CBS did a reboot of MacGyver (originally ABC) and was picked up for a 2nd season (not that I watch it).

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"There is a dichotomy at work. Movies have a greater sense of permanence, yet we get used to multiple James Bonds, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzans. TV shows are ephemeral, yet perhaps precisely because of that the actors who "create" the roles become permanently attached to them."

Yes, movies seem more like (as you mention) "Hamlet"--they are events.  And, sometimes, they tell the same story over and over again.  I don't mind "King Kong" being remade every 40 years with new people.

TV shows and their characters--it has been said--are more like friends you invite into your home every week.  Can you imagine if your friend "Bob" suddenly showed up at your door with a brand new face?  "You're not Bob!"

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Mixed feelings. I hear what people are saying about certain characters being forever linked to one specific actor, however, I can see some merit in bringing back a successful television format for a new generation to enjoy. Take The Time Tunnel, as an example, I wouldn't be too upset if someone other than James Darren played Tony Newman or someone other than Bob Colbert played Doug Phillips. Those two actors (and I'm not knocking either of them) were not quite so integral to the roles as, say, Peter Falk was to Columbo or William Shatner to J. T. Kirk. The Invaders is another one where I think another actor could step into Roy Thinnes' old role of architect David Vincent if someone wanted to take a stab at a 21st century version.

PS I also have to say, I prefer the new Hawaii Five-0 to the original, which, even when I was young, I always found rather stiff and po-faced.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

But why do these reboots have to be the same characters?

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Yes, why the same characters?  In this day and age where there are 1,000 channels rerunning everything that was ever on TV or DVD sets collecting old shows, or properties like DR. WHO and STAR TREK that continue an established universe, it really doesn't make sense to keep them the same characters when the originals are still around.  The most successful of these recent reboots--HAWAII 5-0 and MACGYVER really look (from the first episodes at least, the only ones I watched)--looked like they were set up to be the SONS of the original characters.  Nothing was gained by keeping them the same, and something was lost by not making them a continuation.  McGarrett could still be called "McGarrett" (he could even be "Steve Jr.") and MacGyver actually would have been cooler if he had been the son trained by the original, and Richard Dean Anderson is still around to guest star (if he wanted).

Whether it's comics, shows, or movies, people have to realize that when you present CONFLICTING versions of a character, you are making people CHOOSE which one has their allegiance, whether it's a conscious choice or subconscious.  Jay Garrick and Barry Allen did not conflict, so fans could love both; Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, etc. James Bonds did not conflict, so people could enjoy all; by emphasizing different origins and Green Goblins in the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield movie versions of Spider-Man, they made us choose--and the latter suffered for it.

If they make me choose between Tom Selleck's MAGNUM P.I. and the new one, guess which one I'll pick.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Again, mixed feelings about the 'son of' or next generation thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I groaned out loud when Steve Austin discovered a long lost son, only for Steve Austin jr. to wind up needing bionic surgery. There's also the problem for the new viewer coming to a legacy show, of wondering if they need to have watched the original to follow the continuation (although Star Trek seems to have pulled off that trick to varying degrees of success).

Sometimes the format is bigger than the characters. If The Invaders was resurrected, there's no reason why catering manager, Colin Figgis couldn't be fighting the aliens instead of architect David Vincent. Columbo, though, needs, no... IS Peter Falk. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to this.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The new version of MACGYVER really isn't that bad, but I do think it would have worked better if the main character was the original's son. Didn't even have to be the one introduced at the end of the series' last season, either.

The two biggest changes are that Macgyver has a team rather than working alone (Jack Dalton is his bodyguard, for instance) and his father is still alive. Disappointingly, when he finally showed up, it was Tate Donovan, not Richard Dean Anderson. (And his grandfather has also b been shown in flashbacks, so they can't go that route with RDA, either.)

HAWAII 5-0, though, stinks. I managed to get through the first season, then dropped it. Haven't watched an episode since. I only gave it a shot due to the cast, but McGarrett being portrayed as practically superhuman compared to the others didn't sit too well with me. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

HAWAII 5-0, though, stinks.

Thoroughly disagree with you. It's a terrific series with a super cast. As said earlier, much prefer it to the original.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I agree. I only watched the new MACGYVER once but the new HAWAII 5-0 is great fun. I never really liked Scott Caan before (reminded me of an idiot frat boy in his older films) but the interaction between the main cast is enjoyable to watch. It lost a lot when the other two leads left the show but it is still watchable.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Eh, to each his own.

The only CBS reboot I think is better than the original is S.W.A.T.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

The Time tunnel... They did a pilot in the 90's. It is
available in the bonus section on the DVDs. It was
different in the idea, but it could have been really
nice.
They could make it again... I would watch.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The two biggest changes are that Macgyver has a team rather than working alone (Jack Dalton is his bodyguard, for instance)

=====================================================

Why does every TV hero need a team these days? The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and MacGyver. Magnum, P.I. will follow suit I guess.

Although, Rick, T.C. and Higgins helped Thomas in the original, it was for things like information, the helicopter and advice. Magnum (being ex-Navy Intelligence and a SEAL) was more than capable of functioning on his own.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version