Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: They Brought Over THAT Character To The Comics? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's NUCLEAR MAN from SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE!

This is unexpected!

Typically, throughout the history of comic books, characters (and concepts) introduced in a comic book adaptations in other media have been brought into the actual comics eventually. Usually, it's a character that became popular and so there was a demand for the character to make the jump over from the other medium into the comics. Some unquestionably popular characters started out in other media: Jimmy Olsen (radio), Firestar (Saturday morning TV cartoon), and Harley Quinn ((syndicated animated TV series).

Nuclear Man is an odd choice, but maybe he can be redeemed in the comics? I just hope he watches out for shadows, and shade from trees, or he'll be helpless!

Anyway, since he will be coming over to comics, I thought I'd use this occasion to ask my fellow posters here a few questions related to the characters that came to comics from comic book adaptations in other media. Here are the questions:

1. Who is your favorite character that was brought into the comics like this?

2. What is your favorite concept that was introduced in another media's adaptation of a comic book character and then brought over to the comics? For instance, the Bat Cave first appeared in the 1943 BATMAN movie serial, or Kryptonite, which came from the SUPERMAN radio series in the 1940's.

3. And what changes made to an existing comic character in another media that was later adopted by the comics is your favorite? For instance, Riddler's suit and tie with derby outfit, which was first used in the BATMAN TV series.

The media it came from can be any other media that adapted a comic book character. This could include not only TV, movies, and radio, but even other publications like novels (For example, THE ADVENTURES of SUPERMAN novel by George Lowther renamed Jor-L and Lora to the better known Jor-El and Lara.)

Edited by Matt Hawes on 19 June 2018 at 11:52pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There aren't that many examples of this sort of thing, are there? For the most part, the comics precede elements shown in film to some extent or another (WW's lasso twirl vs. her TV costume-change spin; Nick Fury as Samuel L. Jackson in the Ultimates precedes Samuel L. Jackson's casting in the role which then informs Marvel's decision to alter the appearance of the character in it's mainstream universe...) 

1. Firestar- I much preferred the hipper, more MJ-ish Firestar from the animated series "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends," but it was nice having a version of the character appear in the MU proper, if only to occasionally crossover with her TV co-stars.

2. Wonder Woman's naivete regarding her new surroundings in America- While the original Golden Age WW was somewhat taken aback by things she found in coming to Man's World, her half-lidded sharp-flapper-girl look told us that she was taking it all in with a knowing sense of bemusement. It was Lynda Carter's genuinely charming moments of curiosity in the second WW TV pilot that made the character seem human and relatable. These translated into the WW ice cream scene in the New 52 comics that was then put back on screen in the 2017 Gal Gadot/Patty Jenkins film.

3. Alfred- Originally introduced as sort of a burly, bumbling figure in the comics, a staple of British comedy, the thinner, mustached version based upon the version shown in the serials afforded the character much more dignity and an ability more play a great many more roles in the comics.

Now, if the thread were about changes made in the comics to reflect films and TV that we DIDN'T like, I'd have more to talk about...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 2:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
There aren't that many examples of this sort of thing, are there?...

More than most would think. Thanks for playing along, despite the criticism of my questions.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 20 June 2018 at 2:07am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 2:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

1. Harley Quinn
2. The Hall of Justice
3. Mr. Freeze’s tragic origin with his wife, Nora
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I hate reboots of any kind and how movies connect everything in a character's life, but I sort of like how Nolan's Bruce Wayne trained with the League of Shadows before turning against them.  (Of course, it sort of steals from the Shroud's origin, which Steve Englehart wrote as a Batman take-off figuring he'd never get to write Batman--about a year before he DID write Batman, on a classic run that all the Batman movies steal at least a little from.  Very circular!)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Michael, good examples! I wish I'd thought of a couple of those. :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 4:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

1. Jimmy Olsen, most definitely. His crazy adventures were among my favorites when I was a kid.

2. Kryptonite, despite its overuse.

3. Superman's ability to fly. It makes no real sense in terms of his powers being extrapolations of normal human abilities, but it amps up the drama considerably.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Legion of Doom

Superman flying!

H.E.R.B.I.E. (just kiddin')

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Who is the artist for that Nuclear Man drawing?

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 20 June 2018 at 9:42am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Robert,

The artist of that Nuclear Man piece is Ivan Reis.  

Marc

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Firstly, I texted a friend to tell them the news about Nuclear Man debuting in comics - and they don't believe me. They think I am kidding around. I will send them a web link later, but it goes to show how unbelievable it is!

1. Who is your favorite character that was brought into the comics like this?

Livewire from SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. I'm disappointed none of you guys have mentioned her. Where's the love for her? ;-)

2. What is your favorite concept that was introduced in another media's adaptation of a comic book character and then brought over to the comics?

The Hall of Justice.

3. And what changes made to an existing comic character in another media that was later adopted by the comics is your favorite?

I'll go with Superman's ability to fly, too.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Oh, and Jack McGee, I feel, might have worked if he'd been introduced in at least a few Hulk comics. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version