Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: SPINNERS ARE BACK?????? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 19 2018 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Nathan, the variants will certainly offset the price. Getting comics out to more venues can only be a good thing in the longrun.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 20 2018 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Fandangled new ones probably got the Bluetooth and the internets, not like our day when we had to spin ‘em by hand... grumble gripe...

All that aside, that’s a nice nostalgia touch for the cave.

Cheers!
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 20 2018 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Matt, as a comic shop owner, how likely are you to participate in something like this?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 20 2018 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Glenn, I no longer run a brick and mortar shop, having decided  to sell online and as a comic book vendor at a flea market (I actually make the same "take home" pay, and have more freedom these days), but I have been pushing for comics to be available in more outlets for some time. As I note above, getting comics into more venues is only a good thing, so I support the endeavor.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: June 21 2018 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As I note above, getting comics into more venues is only a good thing, so I support the endeavor.

••

This is what makes you one of the good ones, Matt.

Seems I have spent altogether too much of my career watching too many selfish retailers (still possessing too much of the dealer mentality) howling like scalded cats any time anyone suggested their choking monopoly on the product should be broken.

One of the worst moments of my professional life happened when one of the mucky-mucks at DC declared "We can't afford to offend the retailers!" Because, you know, having happy retailers is preferable to having a healthy industry.

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 21 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The nice thing about spinner racks is that they don't take up a lot of the retailers valuable floor space. They can also be moved around much easier than your typical magazine shelf.

Any "new" outlet for comics is a positive thing so long as they're stocked with the right material. But it has to be the right comics. Fill it with Archie, Sponge Bob, cartoon style books. Put in some all ages, single story issues from Marvel and DC (assuming they still publish any - which is another problem). Filling them with just the latest middle issue of a 15 part storyline is just asking for a confused, and likely, one time buyer.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 21 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm very happy to hear that GameStop and a few other places are looking at including spinner racks. Anything that gets comics into more hands is good for everyone.

Heck, if I had the space in my condo, I'd have a spinner rack myself. It evokes great childhood memories.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 21 2018 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And I agree with Paul-- I was reading Casper, Hot Stuff, even Little Lotta well before I got deep into superheroes. These venues would benefit from having a mix of books.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 21 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I got a vintage one about...geez, I guess it's been 6 or 7 years ago, now. For $200. Plus a 6-hour drive to pick it up.

I don't know what these new ones will be like...but there's nothing like that sound of the old metal ones as they rotate.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: June 21 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My earliest American comic purchases (invariable DC in those days) came from a spinner rack. British comics would usually be laid out on the long counter in our local newsagents but they had a spinner rack for US comics.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: June 21 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm not sure when I first saw a spinner rack. The store in which I first saw a big display of American comics, Eaton's in Edmonton, had them on a tall, wide display mounted against a wall.

If pressed, I might guess my first spinner was in a "drugstore" about a mile from the apartment building we lived in, tho a mile in the "wrong" direction. (I was terribly territorial when I was a kid, and rarely went beyond my familiar ground. This particular shop I discovered when I went with my Mom to the opening of a new "Tomboy" grocery store. The drugstore was next door.)

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: June 21 2018 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"One of the worst moments of my professional life happened when one of the mucky-mucks at DC declared "We can't afford to offend the retailers!" Because, you know, having happy retailers is preferable to having a healthy industry."
This is the same thought that occurs to me when I think about digital pricing being the same as hard copy. DC and the other publishers only receive 40% of a comic's cover price, with the remainder going to Diamond and the retailer.   So for a $4 comic, DC gets $1.60. Well what if DC started selling digital copies for $1.60? I bet they would sell a lot more comics, but they won't try it because they fear the reaction from retailers.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version