Posted: 16 June 2018 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...tho not with that accent.

YouTube

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...or that hair!

Many a good point in that video. Thanks for sharing it, JB.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Starting high school I didn't have the grades to go straight into tenth grade math (Math 10), so I started in a watered down version called "Math 14". I was also in Chemistry 14, Physics 14, and French 14. This put me in something called a "4Year Metriculation" program. Assuming I passed everything each year, I would follow 10th Grade with 11th, 12th, and "2nd Year 12."

Unfortunately, I flunked the 14s and had to repeat them in 11th Grade -- where I also flunked them. So I had to repeat them in 12th Grade. Which pushed me into a "5 Year Metric". Which pushed me out of high school.

Point is, at no time did anybody ask if there was really anything served by having me repeat the same classes over and over. That was simply what one did. 14, 10, 20, 30. No consideration of maybe shunting me over to the classes where I did well, like Art, English Lit., Social Studies. Rules were rules.

(Mind you, if we consider the overall pattern of events, if I had finished high school in the requisite three years, I would have started at the Art College in 1969, instead of 1971. A different guy would have been running the Gallery, and he might not have brought in that show of comic book art...)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Point is, at no time did anybody ask if there was really anything served by having me repeat the same classes over and over.

I wouldn't know where to begin in discussing the complexities of the education system - and no doubt the UK differs from elsewhere - but it sure as hell feels like EVERYONE must fit in a box. And that everything must be binary. And that one 11+ test must dictate and define a person for life.

You know, my late uncle could take apart almost anything. I saw him do it. From moped engines to watches, and anything else you can imagine, he could take it apart and fix it. Just an internal talent/ability. Yet he was a school drop-out and there was no way for society/education to measure the talent. 

We're all different. We should be treated differently. 

Like you stated, rules were rules.

I am not saying I could design an education system from scratch if I was in such a position, but I sure as hell would try and create one that caters to the individual wherever and whenever possible.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There are so-called "open concept" schools, where the students study what they want and the teachers are just there to provide assistance. The model works for some students but only if they are motivated. My niece went to one and it was a dismal failure for her and she would have done much better with a traditional, rigid-learning school. In the perfect world, there would be many different styles to choose from.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have either a tenth grade education, or eighth, depending on if the not-cheap Christian school I went to for nine and ten counted or not (my Mom got a cafeteria job to pay for it). When I went to finish high school much later I was told there were no such records of it! They let me start at 11 after passing exams, except for maths where I did 10 again. I was getting straight As when life in the forms of other people's health problems, and some of my own, came in. :^(

At 50 should I consider finishing? Maybe if/when I'm based in the U.S. again (Canadian grade 10 might even be a U.S. grade 12).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have seen a lot of university graduates enter
management positions, and they flounder, because they
have no hands on experience or `street smarts`.I have
also seen people of supposedly average
intelligence/education work their way up from a lowly
position to management and be successful and respected,
because they know the job inside out and have lived in
the `real world`.
I was amazed that our police are considering university
graduates entering the force at detective level! For the
reasons stated above, i think it`s a stupid idea.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version