Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 1  

This is one of the best typos ever. X-MEW: The book starring mutant superhero kittens!

••

X-MEN - ELSEWHEN.

Tho this is why I have been thinking XME might be better!

(Hm. XME for XMINE! Hadn't thought of that until just now...)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 2  

Anyway, I’m digging the strato-jet model. And I’m definitely thinking that the Blackbird became an X-Men thing because someone misinterpreted some strato-jet art, at some point.

••

Fortunately, it wasn't me! I was beginning to think I had drawn an SR-71 on a zoom-in splash, but no.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 3  

Here's a rather radical change to let my copy flow properly. . .

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 4  

Fun to see the pages evolve! 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 5  

X-Mew's leader would have to be Kitty then! :^)

The real Pink Pearls are great, I once had a giant sized one even (a bit awkward that though). I tried an electric eraser one time with those German white rubbery things in stick form to fit it... got an electrical shock from it somehow and it's sat in drawer since. It really didn't work well anyway, more smudging soft pencils and ending up with a blackened eraser head. That's what i got for complaining to someone about time spent erasing on one job... back to the real deal Pink Pearls. :^(

I admire model building! Actual and virtually! I only ever physically built one once, under orders, when a speciifc WWII Japanese plane was needed a lot for something and I had already shown myself totally incompetent by adding struts to what I thought was a generic trainer plane but which turned out to be a very specific Canadian Lysander that had no struts. Oops! I also went out and bought as many Air Classics magazines as I could find. Auto-cad courses and software always seemed beyond my means financially back then. Knew one woman who spent a fortune on a deluxe Autodesk setup and worked for maybe a year doing flying logos for tv stations until a tenth the price competitor with a newer-better-faster-cheaper system undercut her (and then someone maybe did the same to that person a year or so later).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 6  

I was trying to think when I first used modeling in my work. Technically, it was probably a cover of ACTION COMICS (Superman and Green Lantern*) where I used a very simple program that generated multi-faceted spheres of different sizes.

But I'm pretty sure the real, true, built for that purpose one was the time machine in OMAC. Which leaves me wondering what came next!

---------------

* ...ain't got nothin' on me!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 7  

I guess when lettering goes on virtually you can flip the whole page like that... not have to redraw. And it's also a sign of skill that something looks so good in mirror-image. I used to hold stuff up to a mirror to look for flaws. Nothing nicer than using whatever will work!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rawle Charles
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 8  

Mr. Byrne thank you for the privilege of access to your work. I've been a long time fan, and associate your comics with many pleasant memories from my youth. 

One such memory,  and quite possibly the catalyst for my continued enthusiasm, has to do with being hospitalized in Elementary school. My twin brother picked up two brand new comics from a convenient store spinner rack for me. One was Avengers #196, Taskmaster's first appearance with that awesome George Perez art. While the other was Uncanny X-Men #131, with a young kitty Pryde being chased by hellfire club forces, and Storm, Wolverine, and Colossus trapped in cages by another faction of said forces.  

As cliche as it sounds,  that book changed my life. 

We read a lot of DC comics back then, and loved the Legion of Super-Heroes most of all. But both of those books were 'REAL' in a way those DC comics had never been. Not only was there a cinematic quality to the visuals,  the story felt dramatic in a way that was unfamiliar to me at the time, but nevertheless quite rewarding. There was a grittiness to the world and weightiness to the art. The splash page with Kitty running from the hellfire club goons pulled me right in, the car slamming into Jean's telekinetic wall, the White Queen's telepathic torture. I wanted more...

This was the gateway drug I'd been waiting for, of course, we were hooked. In time we started saving our allowance so that we could buy more and more comics. You were also the first comic professional whose name we learned. 

When you left we continued to read the X-Men, because at this point they were familiar friends. But that just meant we needed another two bits to buy that other book you ended up on,  the Fantastic Four.

Basically, what I'm trying to say,  in my wordy way,  is that I'm thrilled to be able to experience this Elsewhen project in real time,  and glad you revisited these old friends, who in a way you (Chris and team), introduced me to so long ago. Unfortunately, Marvel comics as a whole no longer feels as welcoming as it once had, and has managed to alienate me as a reader, but I'm truly fond of the characters themselves and feel fortunate to have had your runs on many of them to thank for that.  

While i would absolutely buy this Elsewhen and any such future effort,  I'm glad you were willing to share this project with your fans (for free). I'm also glad that while I watched you create this tale, I had an unexpected reunion with an enthusiastic 10-year-old in a hospital bed. 

So in short...thank you!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 9  

And it's also a sign of skill that something looks so good in mirror-image. I used to hold stuff up to a mirror to look for flaws.

••

There used to be an editor at DC who would do that with anything and everything. Hand him a cover, just to show it to him, and the first thing he'd do was hold it up to the closest window, backwards. Looking for what was wrong with it before he even considered what it was!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 10  

So in short...thank you!

••

To you, and to all the others who have expressed their thanks in this thread, you're welcome!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

Nice post, Rawle!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

X-MEN - ELSEWHEN.

Tho this is why I have been thinking XME might be better!

++++++

Dagnabbit! I somehow missed the official abbreviation of this non-comic!

Also, I tend to often have cats on muh brain!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version