Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 1  

BREAKING BAD did that pretty often - opened the show with a teaser of a scene that presents a wild scenario, then spend the rest of the episode showing how it got there. One season premiere episode started with a scene that didn't pan out until the series finale the following season!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 2  

...I've been wondering if this "start in the middle" approach would work on a monthly basis, or if it would get old fast.

++

BREAKING BAD did that pretty often - opened the show with a teaser of a scene that presents a wild scenario, then spend the rest of the episode showing how it got there. One season premiere episode started with a scene that didn't pan out until the series finale the following season!

••

Hm. Didn't know that about BREAKING BAD. I suppose if I make it a motif in ELSEWHEN, I'll be accused of copying from that show, the same way microbrains said breaking the fourth wall in SHE-HULK was ripping off MOONLIGHTING.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3  

...I've been wondering if this "start in the middle" approach would work on a monthly basis, or if it would get old fast.
--------
What about doing something closer to Generations?  or Lost Gen, but moving forward in small jumps instead of reverse?  Reading those, they added a layer of imagination and deduction to "bridge" the missing time between issues and really showcased your storytelling.  That way you'd only be accused of copying yourself

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 4  

What about doing something closer to Generations?

••

I envision ELSEWHEN as a conventional monthly series. Jumps of the kind we saw in GENERATIONS would propel the stories forward much too fast.

I took that approach in G1, G2 and G3 because I had a lot of temporal territory to cover.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 5  

What about doing a Reverse splash page?  Where the splash page is the last scene of the issue?  Or what about a reverse version of the Watchmen model?  Make the cover the last panel of the issue

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 6  

I love hearing the 'behind the scenes' of the creative process! A lot more goes on than i thought.

Edited by Paul Wills on 28 September 2018 at 2:32pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 7  

Sometimes I think a big reason for my having a reputation as a Grumpy Gus (aside from the fact that I are one!) comes from a popular assumption among some fans that the companies are like clubhouses, with everybody hanging out together in what amounts to a never ending party. So when I gripe and grumble I seem to them like an exception, an outsider.

It’s something of a rude awakening for some, to discover that there is a lot of professional jealousy and politicking in the offices — you know, like in ANY office!

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh!  speaking of creative process, when working on a "team book", do you prefer to create stories that focus on the whole team with some character spotlighting during the issue (as in Uncanny) or create stories that focus on the individuals of the team that come together like a puzzle (as in Alpha Flight) ?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Hm. Didn't know that about BREAKING BAD. I suppose if I make it a motif in ELSEWHEN, I'll be accused of copying from that show, the same way microbrains said breaking the fourth wall in SHE-HULK was ripping off MOONLIGHTING."

---

Hey, to be fair, you've done just that several times on issues of DOOM PATROL which predates the show by 5 years!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

Richard, it appears you haven't followed JB's advice and read the Forum Decorum post.

You need to pay attention to the second item if you expect an answer to your questions.

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 28 September 2018 at 3:23pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

I wanted to try my hand at inking a non-action page. I really love the poignancy of this sequence.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2018 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

Nice. Good line.

(I must work on those kid’s faces!)

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version