Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

Uh oh, I missed that John had updated Sauron...

Back to Top profile | search

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

See my problem is I can’t reconcile where Sauron’s left leg would meet with his torso and his tail doesn’t seem to come out in the right spot. What little I know of his look is that chest and legs are vaguely human proportions?

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

This is a rough of where I drop Wolverine down a tad change this right leg and extend Sauron’s torso and alter his right arm position. By this time I’ve pretty much gone full “Ordway” and lost whatever little John Byrne I managed to keep originally. I think I’ll have  to abandon this attempt until I get better.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

Tony: What little I know of his look is that chest and legs are vaguely human proportions?

---

Not really... 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

His torso seems to have human proportions... the rest? Not so much. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

The inker's job is to ink finished pencils, not to redraw them.

The finisher's job is to flesh out breakdowns.

I don't think either is supposed to second-guess the anatomy knowledge/choices of the penciller or breakdown artist.

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Ok I wrote “vaguely”. But if you’re inking surely you have to have some understanding of what you’re inking. How does the original pencil pose of Sauron match up with those proportions? I just don’t see it.

Edited by Tony Marin on 17 September 2018 at 8:02pm

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

God, look at that Neal Adams panel. So bloody good!

Edited by Tony Marin on 17 September 2018 at 7:57pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 11  

Tony Marin wrote:
...It’s funny I was never a fan of X-Men stuff so I always think of Terry’s inks over Marshall Rogers on Detective Comics before anything else and I recently looked up a reprint of his time on X-Men and I don’t know who at Marvel “remastered” it but it looked terrible, no where near as good as I remembered it...

Opinions being what they are, people certainly differ on them, but JB and Terry Austin have been considered one of the great art teams in comics history for a reason.

I can't help but suspect, taking your comments in context in regard to your exchanges with JB over your ink job of his art, that the criticism of those X-Men issues is more of a veiled jab at JB than the ink job. Maybe not, but then you go on and criticize his drawing of Sauron, and your praise of the Neal Adams drawing (which is great), seems to also be a "see, this is how you do it" directed at JB.

I get that you may be hurt that JB has critiqued your inks on his work, but his criticism is valid. I will say, Tony, you do have talent, but I will also say that JB has been at this for more than a little while and knows a thing or two. 

When veteran, yet overpowering inkers like Tom Palmer or Jerry Ordway redrew JB, for me as a fan of his art, it's annoying enough. They are clearly skilled professionals,  but so is JB, and when he is the penciler, it's HIS art I want to see come through the most. When someone else inks the art, who doesn't have the reputation or cache that those guys have, and changes the pencils so much, it frankly smacks of arrogance that isn't deserved.

As nice as your rendering can be, Tony, I want to see JB's X-MEN,  not Tony Marin's X-Men.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 12  

Hey Matt. Sorry if I came off that way. About the Austin comment I meant that particular reprint that I pick up looked horrible. I hadn’t read the run for a while so I checked a couple of the original copies at home that I actually had, thinking that my memory was “off”. I flipped through them and the art was as good as I remembered, this reprint though was horrible. About being hurt, of course not. The only reason I posted my attempts was to have them critiqued. I value anything John can offer. My attempt on that last page was completely my failing, I just couldn’t figure out how to make it work. At first I tried laying down every line exactly as penciled but I couldn’t make it look like a Byrne page. The first page I did felt very easy and I was happy with it as a first attempt at inking anyone.  I know my two amateur attempts at inking comic pages do not stack up against someone with decades of consistent outstanding work. I’m not doing this for a job, it’s just a fun, if not sometimes, an infuriating hobby for me that I just got back into.

Edited by Tony Marin on 18 September 2018 at 8:52am

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version