Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 1  

"Smallville" on TV was a good example of Hollywood trying to "fix" absurdities from comics with their own. The guys who developed the show for television proudly touted their mission statement of "no flight, no tights" when discussing the series, yet the viewers were to accept that ther invention that the small town was littered with Kryptonite when Clark landed on Earth, mutating all these people in the town, and that somehow Clark rarely, if ever, encountered these mutated people until reaching high school age, and then it was on a weekly basis!!

Ugh.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 2  

I really love that Storm image.

I can't quite place it, but I think that the combination of the economy of line that you're using there, and the heaviness of the line you're using, gives me a little bit of an Alex Toth vibe when looking at it.

Has your pencil line gotten "heavier" over the years?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 3  

My pencil line has gotten "deader". As I noted elsewhere, quite a while back I stopped trying to do the inker's job with my pencil.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Ever since you launched this Elsewhen masterpiece, I've been pouring over your issues leading up to this story (swapping out 137 for "Phoenix the Untold Story") and watching your art evolve and I was curious as to how old you imagine Cyclops and Jean to be?  Jean's tombstone made her 24 but I always thought you drew them older than that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

Drawing them older than they should have been is bad art, not a deliberate statement. I do not even agree with the 1956 birth date on that tombstone. Should have been more like 1960 -- and updated every time that story was reprinted!

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was also looking at the "Kitty vs the Demon" story from 143 and the her first appearance from 129 and I was amazed at how your Elsewhen Kitty is a perfect continuation of your depiction of her.  Were there any of this group that you had trouble returning to? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

Colossus! I've lost his youthful face when in metallic form.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

When watching the Deadpool movie recently, I disliked the visual depiction of Colossus for looking too old and bulky. He's supposed to be a teenager! JB, you definitely gets these characters. I see that in both the dialogue and the art.

Edited by Peter Martin on 28 August 2018 at 8:57pm

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Colossus! I've lost his youthful face when in metallic
form.

===

My only nit pick... is there a misplaced line at the
back of his neck? Seems like there is a hint of where
the line was supposed to be.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 3:19am | IP Logged | 10  

sigh

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Drawing them older than they should have been is bad art, not a deliberate statement. I do not even agree with the 1956 birth date on that tombstone. Should have been more like 1960 -- and updated every time that story was reprinted!

IMO, the perfect solution, as done in other occassions/comics, is obscuring the dates or directly not writing dates, so the problem won't exist when rereading/reprinting the stories some years later.

For example: Here, perhaps, it could have been better to write "Present day" or something similar and not "1980" and in place of "2013" something as "30 years in the future" or "Some decades in the future!

Edited by Manuel Soler on 29 August 2018 at 5:00am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 12  

IMO, the perfect solution, as done in other occassions/comics, is obscuring the dates or directly not writing dates, so the problem won't exist when rereading/reprinting the stories some years later.

••

These stories were done at a time before the fringe became the center. Before the more anal fans not only developed much louder voices, but in some cases even became the people producing the books.

It was okay to say "1980" because the majority of fans understood that did not represent a literal benchmark. That in 1990 it would not be ten years since that story took place.

It was very much the last gasp of that kind of thinking, unfortunately.

This is, as noted, one of the biggest hurdles this project would face, were it to go to series. The internet would blaze with endless threads and commentary, all from people who relentlessly missed the point -- often deliberately.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version