Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: What Ship Is This? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

From the official Star Trek Starships Collection:

It's the Eymorg starship.

I'd forgotten about it, to be honest.

Is there really a huge number of people who will buy this?

My point for this topic pertains to such collections. The superhero figurine collections started off with heavy-hitters like Batman and Spider-Man, but within a short amount of time, they extended the issues until later issues, in my humble opinion, scraped the bottom of the barrel, releasing characters that no-one has heard of or very few care about. Again, just my view, please feel free to disagree.

I am surprised there have been 127 issues of the Star Trek Starships Collection. Will they end up scraping the bottom of the barrel? 

I think such collections would benefit from releasing fewer issues.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's from the "remastered" version of "Spock's Brain". So I'd say they are beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As may be noticed from my postings in the Toys & Figures thread, Eaglemoss has also started releasing ships based upon unused concept designs from the franchise...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You see, guys, less is more. In my view. I'd rather have a collection that did fewer issues, but quality stuff, than just go, as Mr Byrne stated, beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The James Bond Car Collection did the same, even releasing the milk float from THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS. Who on earth lobbied for that?

There are about 5-6 ships I'd have liked, and maybe I will buy them if I can find the individual issues, but I was surprised to see that listed.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

However, I did just order the Botany Bay and Deep Space Station K7.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I tend to wait to order individual issues for these collections.

One can't subscribe as that means receiving every issue (probably a dinghy that Kirk used at some point), but newsagents only stock these collections for the first 7-8 issues; after that, they become subscription or newsagent order only - which would mean receiving all the issues.

I'll have a browse on the Eaglemoss site later and see if there are any I am missing.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Suddenly a reason comes into view to give all those ships that never actually appeared onscreen a definitive design. Ah, merchandising... Coming soon: Commissioner Bele's "invisible" spaceship from "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." Yeah, the package is a little light as if there's nothing really in there, but there is, trust us. The, um, ship was super-lightweight as well. No, really. Buy two. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I guess I am in the minority but I actually rather like the redesigned Eymorg ship.

As for Eaglemoss I in general agree that some of the choices of ships which they made models of is rather questionable, especially when more popular and repeatedly used ships on the show had not received models yet.

But I am really not unhappy that the Assimilated Arctic Transport from Ent "Regeneration" got a model as I have wanted one for ages since I saw it and was even considering ordering one by made by a model maker (still might do that in the future as I would like a bigger version).

Also would like to get one from the USS Dauntless NX-01 from the VOY episode "Hope and Fear" as I really liked its sleek design.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I guess I am in the minority but I actually rather like the redesigned Eymorg ship.

•••

Why cry minority? It's not the design that's the problem, it's the replacement. If the CG wizards had to work their "magic" did they also have to redesign the ship? That's a bad case of "because we can."

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It doesn’t help that, by and large, the CG in the Remastered episodes is looking rather dated, 12 years later.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

An almost inevitable problem created by the rush to play with a new toy!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Another factor is that they went in-house for the job by using CBS Digital. I've seen work from some of the other bidders, and they would likely have produced a better result. It came down to keeping the project on the cheap side, which is no surprise!

This probably falls into my usual realm of super-nerd-nitpickery, but that CG Enterprise just doesn't look right, to my eye. The overall geometry is very accurate, but the color scheme (complete with retconned hull plating), hull lettering, and fine details are all off.

The CG model they used in the earliest Remastered episodes (such as "Miri", "Balance of Terror", and "The Naked Time") looked much more spot-on, but it took too long to render, so they replaced it with the version used in the majority of the episodes.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

"We have the originals, which work fine, so let's change them!!"

As I've mentioned, one of the minor frustrations of working on NEW VISIONS was that I found myself compelled to use the CG Enterprise in many shots, simply because the images were much sharper, and translated better to the printed page.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Why cry minority? It's not the design that's the problem, it's the replacement. If the CG wizards had to work their "magic" did they also have to redesign the ship? That's a bad case of "because we can."

Okay that was a bad choice of words perhaps. They probably should just have updated the original design, well I wanted to say "to be realistic" but that is stupid as well.

Anyway separate from the episode in which it did appear, I would not have minded if this ship had appeared in any of the TNG era episodes.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 17 June 2018 at 7:05am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I find it interesting that Hallmark is scraping the bottom of the barrel - even digging down past it a little - to what they feel must be a huge market of Star Trek fans of ships, stations, etc. But CBS - or whomever holds the current rights - doesn't find it worthwhile to take a shot at another network or syndicated Star Trek show that's accessible to most viewers. 

Surely the model for such a show exists, and the fact that "Orville" hit so well should be enough to convince them that there is a percentage of those purchasers of Star Trek paraphernalia who still want Star Trek. No, it won't be Kirk and Spock, or even Picard and Data... but a new idea and new show could probably sell itself really well.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

But CBS - or whomever holds the current rights - doesn't find it worthwhile to take a shot at another network or syndicated Star Trek show that's accessible to most viewers.

For a long time now I have had this idea that Moonves is partially responsible for that, perhaps because of the various articles in which his name is mentioned.

If I do remember correctly he doesn't like Star Trek because he doesn't get it.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Marten - possibly. But I'll bet he likes money. And advertisers. And commercials.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

JB: However, I did just order the Botany Bay and Deep Space Station K7.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them, Chief.

I have several ships from the Eaglemoss collection, all ordered individually (I have no interest in 75% of the designs they've put out). For die-cast models of their size, they're pretty nifty.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version