Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That is pretty impressive!
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, I think we need to include STNV planets. After all it is canon now right?

I can think of Pluul and whatever that palindrome planet was called.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My fun was looking at the map and trying to recollect all the episodes.

I hope someone does a STAR WARS map. And one for DC and Marvel.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A 2D map of space seems wrong. How much of the galaxy does known space in Star Trek cover?

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So the Klingons and Romulans had to cross through Federation space to help fight the Dominion in DS9? That's quite the journey. Based on the scale provided that's roughly 2000 light years. Voyager was 70,000 light years from Earth and that equated to a journey of several decades.

But I suppose that is all part of the whole suspension of disbelief aspect leads us to want to ignore many of the oddities of the Trek universe.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Trevor, for some reason, the first thing I thought about when I looked at this map was the first episode of Enterprise, in which the NX-01 was supposed to get to Qo'noS in four days at warp 4.5. Just eyeballing this map, that seems even more of a stretch than I thought at the time. That distance looks like about 2000 light years...at warp 4.5, which is 91.125 c (if you accept the traditional view that warp speed equals warp factor cubed x c), that would take Archer and company more like 22 years.

But, as you pointed out, suspension of disbelief is unusually important when you watch Trek. Cool as they are, I've always resisted maps of the Trek universe, simply because space is so big--and, in Star Trek, it's also supposed to correspond in a broad way to real space. "Pinning down" the geography saps the fun out of imagining it yourself (in contrast to, say, an invented high-fantasy world, where a map is PART of the fun of imagining it for yourself).

That's what I think, anyway. (And I also think that no way is the Klingon homeworld "really" that close to Earth!)

Edited by Ted Downum on 14 June 2018 at 8:41am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

STAR TREK hasn't had a good grip on the size and shape of the Galaxy since the beginning. Christopher Pike tells the Talosians he's from "the other end of this Galaxy". The other end of a lens shape? Did he mean the other side, i.e. on the opposite side of the Core, which itself is 30,000 light years from Earth? And the crash survivors were supposed to have gotten there before the development of "time warp" technology?

As a teen I used to wonder about the size and shape of the Romulan empire, give how often Star Fleet ships approached and even crossed the Neutral Zone. (The obvious Vietnam metaphor seemed to be forgotten by later writers.) Didn't help that the Franz Joseph plans showed the Empire as a sphere that touched but did not enter Federation space.

Meanwhile, our brave crew traveled to the "edge" of the Galaxy several times, prompting Isaac Asimov to note that this was like saying one had built a house on the "edge" of the Mississippi Valley.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wasn't Voyager trying to come back from an 'other side of the galaxy' type of situation? I know they called everything quadrants but I do seem to remember those meaningless concepts 'halfway across' and 'other side' a little bit, and of course fourth-dimensional wormholes just happened to help them along the way faster than calculated (depended on ratings no doubt, when they were down the sped the voyage up), oh, and Kes giving them a big push once too.

Yes, all that space is moving constantly too. The oldest Trek seemed to have a static chart without factoring the distance in light would mean nothing was where it would appear to us as being. Ow, my brain hurts.

I hope nobody mentioned the four corners of the earth at any point.though, that might be the worst expression of all.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 14 June 2018 at 11:04am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Slight sidebar: Continuing reading DAN DARE adventures from before I was introduced to the strip, I have reached "The Man from Nowhere". This story starts with an alien ship literally appearing "out of nowhere" deep inside Earth's defensive perimeter. To explain how this could have happened, Dan suggests an outrageous solution: the ship was traveling faster than light!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ted Downum wrote:
"Pinning down" the geography saps the fun out of imagining it yourself (in contrast to, say, an invented high-fantasy world, where a map is PART of the fun of imagining it for yourself).

I think it depends on the motivation, my friend.

I always wanted a map of Eternia or Third Earth. Not to pick holes in it - I'm not saying anyone here is doing that - but to just have some fun. It's something tangible, not that dissimilar to a technical manual for KITT (can someone produce one, please?) or a technical manual for the Ghostbusters' equipment.

P.S. Will I ever be able to spell "dissimilar" correctly? 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Tying things down was one of the problems with OHOTMU.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version