Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Space Is Very Big... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It was with OHOTMU. It should and could have been something enjoyable. In an age before Google, I enjoyed checking out a character's first appearance, noting it down and looking for it in back issue bins; I loved that it showed real names, height, etc.

But some had to misuse it or take the fun out of it. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shooter ordered all the quantification in OHOTMU. He was no fan of the "Marvel Adrenaline Rush", with which characters accomplished things beyond their established power levels. He wanted OHOTMU to bolt everything down.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I do recall the entry for the Hulk being the most pedantic. 

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Robbie: I think it depends on the motivation, my friend.

That's very true.

I've been a fan of "Treknology" since I first saw the Franz Joseph technical manual. I try to enjoy blueprints and fleet charts and ship cutaways on their own merits, without parsing them for absolute accuracy. And yet: something about Star Trek--maybe that the franchise (at least for some of its history) has tried to maintain some internal consistency with its fictitious technology, or the fact that immersion in the details is part of the fun--gives a lot of fans an irritating tendency to do just that.

(An irritating tendency which afflicts me as much as anyone, as evidenced by my attempts to measure the distance on that map from Sol to Qo'noS using my pinkie finger as a thousand-light-year ruler.)

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB: He wanted OHOTMU to bolt everything down.

JB, I can imagine how much that must've rankled--you personally, and any writer or artist working at Marvel in those days. 

Why take a science-fantasy universe and decide to set a bunch of arbitrary, highly specific limits on it? 

(Suddenly I wonder if Shooter was trying to do what he later claimed he wanted to do with the New Universe and Valiant, and make his comics world "realistic." Seems to me like an attempt to retrofit the Marvel Universe that way was a. the height of folly and b. a little grandiose.)

Edited by Ted Downum on 14 June 2018 at 3:00pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robbie said someone needed to produce a Star wars map. It's been done several times:

You can even buy an Atlas (which of course I have)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Remember, tech manuals and such are fun in terms of broading one's sense of immersion in a fictional universe, but they can signal the death of creativity in terms of storytelling.

All TOS needed to work so well was belivability. Pinning everything down should not take priority over storytelling.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 14 June 2018 at 3:55pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Interesting. I always thought maybe the idea for the OHOTMU had come from those role-playing games like Champions where they had detailed character bio/stats sheets. I could see trading card series of baddies, goodies and joker/wild cards (Galactus and The watcher would make good wild cards), and maybe there could be a game that went with them, but thought at the time those comic book sized but yet not comic books issues looked pretty uninspiring to read through. Did they list past appearances and issue numbers? At least that would have had some use like those indexes to titles.

I never got into those Doctor Who reference books at all, I preferred things reflecting that it was a tv series and the info on the specifics and talent of that, not the fictional 'universe' being cataloged. Like that one Gene Roddenberry book on the making of the original Star Trek, it was fascinating and a bench mark for such a non-fiction work. Blueprints of the Enterprise could be fun I suppose, but having info never actually used in a show someplace is walking on thin ice, and for those reference tomes of fictional worlds someone would either have to just make up things or comb through loads of interviews, novels and archive stuff; otherwise it would have obvious big gaping holes that may or may not ever be filled in on the show.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Taking another look at this. The Romulans and Klingons have been at odds far longer than either race had issues with the Federation. How have they managed to leave a big patch of space empty next to each other?

The Klingons are this big conquest-happy warrior race and they just got bored one day and decided not to keep going? I know, I know. Space is very big but it seems strange one side or the other wouldn't have tried to box the other in. Some sort of mad land (space) grab.

The more I think about that map the worse it will be for me.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If I'm reading the map right, it has the Earth being in the Beta Quadrant. It was always said on screen that we were located in the Alpha Quadrant.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

No, Sol itself is in the lower left corner of the Terran sector, as the TNG books put it as the dividing line between Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So, if the El Aureans are waaay in the boonies of the upper right how did they encounter the Delta Quadrant native Borg before the Federation?

Yeah, I know.   Space is big.

You can pretty much buff out any of the logistical issues with that blanket statement.

Also, the galaxy isn't a flat disk the thickness of a single solar system.   There's room for the territories of all of the biggies (Fed, Rom, Kgn) to overlap in the 'Z plane'.   Someone please make me a 3D holographic map. :-)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version