Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: What is your favorite thing John Byrne draws? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Body language. I'm always amazed at how natural his figures look.

••

Again, I cannot overemphasize the importance of those "gesture" drawings. Artists in the audience, persuade friend or family to help you with this. Strike a pose for ten seconds.

Back to Top profile | search

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is going to seem like a weird one, but the male torso. It’s like no one else draws it, with the implied rib cage, and then not defining every single muscle of the six pack like most people seem to, but the suggestion of the larger muscle groups. 

And of course, the turn of the wrist gestures are another. That FF page with She-Hulk in the foreground, Sue’s gestures as the small figure in the distance are great. Says so much about what she’s feeling.

Edited by Mark McKay on 16 June 2018 at 7:36am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When I was getting into the Biz I realized I would never capture the photorealism of Neal Adams, or the power of Jack Kirby, or the grace of Joe Kubert, the anatomy of Gil Kane, the quirkiness of Steve Ditko, so I decided to pursue something really kind of absurd in this gig: subtlety.

That's what I'm going after with the twist of a wrist or the cocking of an eyebrow.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Again, I cannot overemphasize the importance of those "gesture" drawings. Artists in the audience, persuade friend or family to help you with this. Strike a pose for ten seconds.
************************************************************ ***********************
Very true. In art art school gesture drawings were very important, even though at the time I was thinking "why are we spending so much time doing this?"

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB: "...I would never capture the photorealism of Neal Adams, or the power of Jack Kirby, or the grace of Joe Kubert, the anatomy of Gil Kane, the quirkiness of Steve Ditko..."

Ah. So you're the Composite Superman... Artist.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

When I was getting into the Biz I realized I would never capture the photorealism of Neal Adams, or the power of Jack Kirby, or the grace of Joe Kubert, the anatomy of Gil Kane, the quirkiness of Steve Ditko, so I decided to pursue something really kind of absurd in this gig: subtlety.

That's what I'm going after with the twist of a wrist or the cocking of an eyebrow.

You succeed, always. Also -- you are REALLY fearless in your use of perspective. You draw from angles that many artists would never dream of (Neal Adams excepted).

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Human anatomy.

While JB was good from the start he's refined his work over the years and draws bodies that look like real physiques - from the ideal heroic physiques to the wide range of "normal" bodies, fat and thin, male and female, young and old.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Can I just say "Marvel"? 

I love how JB populates normal surroundings with...stuff.  Garbage, books, furniture, cars (oh, the cars!), architectural features, a drink in a character's hand, framed photos, scuffs on walls...all the things we see and yet don't see everyday in real life.  And all perfect for whatever time period or world we are enjoying at moment. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
I love how JB populates normal surroundings with...stuff. Garbage,
books, furniture, cars (oh, the cars!), architectural features, a drink in a
character's hand, framed photos, scuffs on walls...all the things we see and yet
don't see everyday in real life. And all perfect for whatever time period or
world we are enjoying at moment.

That's one of the reasons I sometimes dig JB's civilian moments more than his
superhero stuff!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think I got that from Giles, the British editorial cartoonist. He invariably had things going on in every corner of his drawings.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

We had a couple of those Giles books, I used to stare at a single page for quite awhile, so much to see going on! The old Mad called them 'potzrebies'. :^)

Richard Scary cute animals in clothes in elaborate town scenes had a similar appeal only they were the clean and nice variety, I guess another generation had to settle for Where's Waldo. There was a Canadian political cartoonist who was very similar to Giles called just Norris, and we had one of his books. There used to be a lot of English-Canadian stereotypes in his, such as some 'Major' character having fortified tea in the Bengal lounge at the Empress Hotel and grumbling about 'standards have fallen'. And of course the near-Pythonesque Mum with hair in curlers and drippy nosed brats running amok, and they wonder why the birth-rate declines! :^D
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB wrote:
I decided to pursue something really kind of absurd in this gig: subtlety.

An interesting side effect of this was that your work on Alpha Flight specifically was a major gateway drug for me to alternative/independent/art comics (or whatever we're calling them this week).  The small scale stakes of the narrative structure and stillness of the art that eschewed over-the-top kozmik craziness and refocused on low-key character dynamics and believable interior lives (with body language to match) really called out to me when I was in my early teens and made me seek out more like it... which I think I'm still doing.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version