Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Q For Mr Byrne: De-Uniquing’s Legacy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As much as I enjoy the idea in fiction, I've always found the idea of an infinite number of near identical universes a bit wasteful. For instance, just before sitting down at my desk now, I made a coffee and had to choose a mug. There were six mugs to pick from on the shelf so presumably there were are five new universes that were created where I chose one of the other mugs (of course, I - this me - could be in one of the branching realities and not on the main limb). Inevitable jokes aside, I just don't see the point of there being six duplicates of me based on my choosing a mug for my coffee (and then there are the universes where I'm drinking tea or maybe had a coke instead, from the can or in a glass). I'm not saying it isn't a valid theory, btw., just that my being thirsty doesn't seem a good enough reason for creating whole new realities containing everything this universe contains except for that one tiny and insignificant detail.

•••

There is no point. There's no point to ANYTHING. It just IS.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks for the extra explanations, I am getting it now. This does not effect my affection for Boltinoff's Super Turtle at all however. :^)

Those DC earths were good in my opinion because they were a vibration apart and not caused, they 'just were'. I like that idea of Spidey Super-Stories being the comics on the newsstands in the regular Marvel world, and they used the DC 'earths' thing for the Squadron Supreme (going by Avengers in the #140s). Maybe the first Marvel alternate was a past with Avengers annual #2 back in the '60s? Marvel Two-In-One #50 was along those lines.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 14 June 2018 at 1:24pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
I like that idea of Spidey Super-Stories being the comics on the newsstands in the regular Marvel world,

Wow, I did not know that. But it makes sense! 

I'd love to read some of those, I've only seen some covers. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Wow, I did not know that. But it makes sense! "

I think Mr. Byrne credited Roger Stern with that Spidey as the main world's comic books idea. Not official, they were definitely stated as being outside of continuity in a letters page I remember though.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It would explain a thing or two, e.g. Spider-Man is attending a baseball game in one issue, obviously not concerned about police arresting him. That's the kind of thing that would make sense in a book published within the Marvel Universe.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like that idea of Spidey Super-Stories being the comics on the newsstands in the regular Marvel world,

++++

Wow, I did not know that. But it makes sense!

•••

That way lies madness.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Spider-Man: "I'd better buy the next issue to know who I'm fighting!"

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's just a cute idea not to be taken as official or serious.

I think it was a letter writer wanting a no-prize because of something Spider-Woman did or said in a 'Spidey' that was contradicted in a later regular comic, and the editor said Spidey Super Stories 'don't count'.. Maybe it was meeting Spider-Man for the first time again after they had met in the limited vocabulary 'Spidey'.

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This thread has introduced another term/concept, 'pre-uniquing'

Ha ha, guess I'll take this as my mini claim to fame here on the JBF.

Brian, regarding the pinup of a Revolutionary Cap done by Kirby, I have that Bicentennial Treasury Edition book (fun stuff!).

Going back to Captain America's relative being an earlier version of "Captain America" in Revolutionary times I found it, well, Marvel basically copying themselves as they already introduced in the Invaders comic a group of heroes called the Crusaders (who were knock offs of DC Comics' Freedom Fighters and something I had no knowledge of until years later) that included a character by the name of Spirit of '76 (who would later take on the roll of Captain America after Cap and Bucky disappeared during WW2):

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I Always thought Superman was more of a direct rip-off of John Carter of Mars than anything else.
************************************************************ ***********************
They both can leap great distances due to being on a planet with lesser gravity than their own, but beyond that they have little in common. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Superman owed a lot more to Philip Wylie's GLADIATOR.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In an infinite multiverse, we've all been de-uniqued an infinite number of times.

+++

So there is a you on another earth who had a 5 or 6 year tenure writing and drawing TRANSFORMERS? ;-)

•••

An infinite number, in fact.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version