Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Trump at Individual Level Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In the Ontario elections we had a situation where good things that happened under the current leadership were overshadowed by some rather bad things that occurred during the same time period. People were ready for a change and the NDP alternative was not viable. People have short memories and increasingly I am seeing less and less qualified people entering political office. The ineptitude and desire to exploit office are at cartoonish levels.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 13 June 2018 at 7:42am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

LINK

Is it wrong of me to want Kim to nuke Hawaii just to prove Rump wrong?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Oddly enough there is an element of self-destruction at work I can see in some people who would back a Trump or Ford (England doesn't seem to have a s clear-cut a character like them that I know of, Farage had more than just sticking it to the EU to him)... they are angry and see a big monkey wrench to 'F' things up. Anger is not a plan, but that argument would mean nothing to these people, they do want their own neighbor to suffer and be punished (as they feel they have or will). Actually trusting Jong-Un does seem more likely to lead to Guam or Hawaii being attacked than calling him names even. They new Trump Republicans would mostly just blame Obama of course.

Another faction who feed the Trump/populist/outsider pendulum swing would be the people for whom things seem to be falling apart and they don't like what's replacing or not replacing what used to be. Not everyone in that category will get desperate enough to back chaos or crazy though. This is where the 'big jobs, big jobs' and cut spending and taxes surface glamor comes in  though under the guise of such things as 'America first', 'Britain for the British'.  Remember the people needing wheelbarrows of currency to buy bread in 1920s Germany during the liberal Weimar Republic with all sorts of banner-waving rallying fascist and revolutionary type groups and their various 'news' papers. History might not repeat but as Mark Twain said, it usually does rhyme. Putting on my Batman Junior Detective cowl. :^|

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 June 2018 at 8:54am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Interesting premise for a thread.  I think part of the reason Trump currently enjoys 42% approval (or whatever) and that there isn't more outrage about his incompetence or the corruption within his government is that his policies haven't had much direct effect on most Americans yet.  The most substantial policy he has overseen is the massive tax cut, and that isn't going to affect Americans in a negative way until the point in time in which the deficit forces them to make substantial cutbacks in Social Security and/or Medicare, which is likely at least a decade away.  This country is headed for a retirement crisis... a lot of people around my age (51) do not have enough saved and are going to be in for a rude awakening if they expect Social Security to provide more than pocket change.  Trump's policies have added to that slow-burning fire, but people won't see the effects for years. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Is it wrong of me to want Kim to nuke Hawaii just to prove Rump wrong?"

Short answer:  Yup.  That's pretty rotten and unfunny.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Short answer:  Yup.  That's pretty rotten and unfunny."

I think what Mr. Byrne wrote was in response to Trump tweeting: "no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea,” and “everybody can now feel much safer."

If Trump actually believes that we're probably all in big trouble like an attack on Hawaii at some point. :^(
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version