Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars
Topic: Toxic Fandom is Killing Star Wars - An Article (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Not my headline, but one from today's Hollywood Reporter.  Before you comment on the headline alone, I'd urge you to read the article first and then discuss it.

I think most of the points in the article are absolutely 100% valid.  I'm especially angered at the shitty way a certain segment of SW fans have treated Kelly Marie Tran, so poorly in fact that she's taken leave of social media altogether.  When did it become vogue to irrationally hate a thing so much that you take it out on the actors just doing a job in the most racist, misogynistic, sexist ways possible? Instead of berating Marvel and DC, instead of sending hate mail or trolling the websites of creators, instead of demanding a boycott, I just left reading mainstream comics from those two companies once their product didn't align with my enjoyment. 

There's a lot of blame to go around for SOLO, sure.  Bad release date.  Poor marketing.  Overconfidence that this was the movie fans wanted to see.  But there's a very vocal minority of SW fans who make the rest look incredibly bad by doing their best to project their own insecurities onto the franchise writ large.  
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Good article. I was introduced to this phenomenon when "Enterprise" was first shown on TV. I was watching the Pilot with a friend and as the opening credits came on, he started to walk out of the room. When I asked him why he didn't want to watch the rest of the show, he stated that Star Trek is not supposed to have words in the opening credits. The blinkered fanboy mentality confuses me.

What I really don't understand is the personal attacks. I am not a fan of John Boyega's character in the STAR WARS films but I would never contemplate going after him online. I saw him in another movie and I thought he did a fine job. Same with Kelly Marie Tran. She was excellent in the latest STAR WARS film. If people didn't like her as an actress, then don't watch her in the future. Bizarre behaviour.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 3  

True that there are hateful trolls, but I don't think
that could sink the franchise.

If the movies are super awesome, and stand up over time,
people will watch them over and over, and forgive any
political message they may perceive. These movies just
don't hold up for a lot of people.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 4  

Thatís an excellent article - I think he makes very valid points.  It is disturbing to see such hostility towards Kelly Marie Tran and John Boyega, who both did excellent work in the latest movie.  

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 5  

As Aaron Sorkin said, the Internet has given everyone a turn at the mic, but not everyone has earned a turn at the mic.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 6  

In my professional life I've encountered people who expressed racial hatred against me. Not careless, off-color jokes, but serious, unmistakable tribal hatred. So I can imagine how hard it is for poor Ms. Tran. However, by many accounts The Last Jedi is not a great movie, and her character Rose Tico is not a great character. When Lucasfilm messes up like that, the young unknown actors they put in front of the camera are going to get slaughtered for it. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 12 June 2018 at 8:57am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 7  

Joe Zhang wrote:
...by many accounts The Last Jedi is not a great movie, and her character Rose Tico is not a great character. When Lucasfilm messes up like that, the young unknown actors they put in front of the camera are going to get slaughtered for it.

Subjective opinions about the film or the character aside, if some fan wants to complain about a performance or the story that's one thing.  What should not be acceptable on any planet are the personal attacks against a specific actor because they are female and Asian or in the case of John Boyega because he is black.  That kind of reaction should be unacceptable to anyone.  

I'd also posit that the two films they have been in have grossed over $3 billion worldwide.  Contrary to a very vocal minority, they are massive hits both at home and abroad.  Pocketbooks speak louder than racist, misogynistic, sexist internet trolls and hooligans. In that regard, Disney and Lucasfilm have not "messed up" but have given a majority of people around the world the films that they want to see.   Don't believe the vocal minority when they tell you that their "boycott" of SOLO (a boycott hardly anyone has heard about by a small, virtually infinitesimal segment of the audience) had any affect on its box office.  They gave themselves far too much credit and we shouldn't encourage them.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version