Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Weekend Box Office: June 8-10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

OCEAN'S 8 topped the box office this weekend with an estimated $41.5 mil haul.  That take is comparable to GHOSTBUSTERS (2016), the most recent female take on a previously male-centric film.  That movie opened to $46 mil two years ago and went on to gross $128.3 mil domestic ($229.1 mil worldwide).  None of the previous OCEAN'S movies topped a $39 mil opening, but that comes with the caveat that none of those openings are adjusted for inflation. Costing $70 mil to produce plus marketing and prints, it's not inconceivable that 8 will make its money back but I doubt it will reach the $183.4 mil domestic (again, not adjusted for inflation) that OCEAN'S 11 made in 2001.  

In second place was SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY.  Although it didn't tumble as far as it did in its second weekend, it still bled 48% of its week-to-week audience.  With a current domestic total of $176.1 mil, SOLO is going to struggle to reach $200 mil when all is said and done.  A dramatic slide from the previous "Story" film.  By the third week in release, ROGUE ONE had earned $440.9 mil domestic.  Another caveat, ROGUE ONE was a December release and had the advantage of the long holiday season.  Even so, a $265 mil difference between the two at the same point in their release is incredibly troubling.  Disney had to have thought they had a monster hit on their hands to buck tradition by opening SOLO in May.  That decision is now coming back to haunt them.

This weekend's second new release saw HEREDITARY land in fourth place with $13 mil.  It's not only A24's widest release, but it's their largest opening ever.  With a reported budget of just $10 mil, the film is already a hit.  Given that it's getting great word of mouth and (anecdotally) repeat business, I predict HEREDITARY is going to end up being one of the standout hits of this summer.

The final new film this weekend opened with a thud.  HOTEL ARTEMIS could only muster $3.1 mil. With a C- Cinemascore and stiff competition in the coming weeks, ARTEMIS will quickly become an afterthought.  

Short Takes:  
- DEADPOOL 2 continues its winning streak.  With $278.6 mil domestic so far, it's pacing just $33 mil behind DEADPOOL (2016) fourth week total of $311.4 mil.
- AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR will pass $2 billion before the week is out without needing the Japan opening at the end of the month to get there.
- WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR? the Mr. Roger's documentary, opened on 29 screens and earned an estimated $16,207 per screen for a $470,000 opening, good enough to land in 18th place.  That bodes incredibly well for a film that will see a slow roll out that builds on glowing reviews and audience anticipation.
- HEARTS BEAT LOUD, an indie film starring Nick Offerman, Kiersey Clemons, Ted Danson, Blythe Danner and Toni Collette, opened on just four screens but had the best per screen average of any film this weekend.  The film, which follows a Brooklyn record store owner and his daughter who become internet sensations after a song they recorded together goes viral, earned $18,513 per screen for a $74,053 debut.  Another slow roll to build on glowing reviews (currently certified 93% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes), this will be one to watch.

Up Next: Three films will vie for first place, but I suspect there will be a clear winner.  INCREDIBLES 2, the sequel to the 2004 Pixar smash hit, should dominate given the total lack of family friendly films currently available in theaters.  TAG, the R-rated comedy starring Ed Helms, Jeremy Renner, Jon Hamm, Rashida Jones and Jake Johnson will look to take second place from OCEAN'S 8. The action-adventure film from India, RACE 3, opens wide and will be interesting to track.

Here, as always, are the weekend domestic estimates from our friends at Box Office Mojo:

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's because I'm a parent, maybe I'm just gettin' old...

...but every single time I see an ad or trailer for WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR:  Instant waterworks.

Whenever I finally see it, I'm gonna be a mess...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I remember Warren Beatty in an interview in the early 90s predicting there will come a day when we consider a $100m gross as a failure. Here we are at a point where a $200 million gross is going to be considered majorly disappointing and, basically, a failure.

Infinity War is just about ahead of where Black Panther was at the same stage of its release, but I'm doubtful it's going to have the legs to catch Black Panther, which got a late boost from the release of the Avengers movie.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Infinity War is ahead of Black panther on a cumulative basis but on a day to day comparison it is now trailing badly. I don't think that in the US, it will catch up.

Internationally of course, it's a different story
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
Here we are at a point where a $200 million gross is going to be considered majorly disappointing and, basically, a failure.

A ton goes into that, of course.  Plucked from the ether, that statement sounds ridiculous, but it's not.  Success has always been relative to budget. Last year. Last decade.  40 years ago.  A QUIET PLACE cost $17 mil to make and has grossed $324.3 worldwide ($185.5 mil domestic).  That's a massive hit.  SOLO cost north of $300 mil + over $100 mil in marketing and prints.  Current worldwide total? $313.4 mil and slowing waaaaay down.  Given the fact that every other SW film that Disney has released since it acquired the franchise has topped $1 billion worldwide, SOLO is a bomb.  No two ways 'round it.  

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, you're absolutely right, Matt, that it's a combination of budget and expectations that make that performance look so bad. And the comparison with A Quite Place is nicely illustrative.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks!  I try.  ;)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version