Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Totally agree, JB.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

With all of social media to peruse, I'm hard pressed to hear a 'new' joke during late night to make it worth staying up for. I've heard all the good material when the news cycle was fresh.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Oh my golly, that voice.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, had to mute it and read the captions to make it through... Anyway, yeah, disingenuous horseshit. What those "different opinions" are matters. Unless you're going to get into that, overgeneralized whining about mean old late night hosts is ridiculous.

You didn't answer last time I asked so I'll try again (if you've done an equivalent post before give me a thread and I'll go there): what criticisms do you think are unfair? What has President Trump done that makes him worthy of praise and should silence his critics? What positions have late night show hosts been mocking unfairly? Where do you think the current administration has gotten hammered where the previous administration got a pass? Which conservative pundits and comedians do you feel are more even handed*?

I've seen a fair bit of anti-anti-Trump from you, but which of his positions and methods are worthy of praise?

*By even-handed, I mean they look to the behavior not the "team." For example, the remote possibility that donors to the Clinton Foundation would try to use their donation to curry favor with the State Department put conservative pundits into a apoplexy (which is fair). But Chinese officials and others who explicitly state they are staying in a Trump Foundation hotel to get on his good side passes without a ripple. On the other side, I've seen Sam Bee criticize Obama era immigration policy in areas where it aligned with current immigration policy she doesn't care for.

Edited by Dave Phelps on 08 June 2018 at 2:58pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Don't forget, folks... it's the liberals who are the "snowflakes" in this country!

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've been reading about Anthony Bourdain a lot after
his suicide, he is left (or maybe center left?) and
said things about Trump that he didn't like, but I saw
a quote that goes along with my post

"I’ve spent a lot of time in gun-country, God-fearing
America. There are a hell of a lot of nice people out
there, who are doing what everyone else in this world
is trying to do: the best they can to get by, and take
care of themselves and the people they love. When we
deny them their basic humanity and legitimacy of their
views, however different they may be than ours, when
we mock them at every turn, and treat them with
contempt, we do no one any good. Nothing nauseates me
more than preaching to the converted. The self-
congratulatory tone of the privileged left—just
repeating and repeating and repeating the outrages of
the opposition—this does not win hearts and minds. It
doesn’t change anyone’s opinions. It only solidifies
them, and makes things worse for all of us. We should
be breaking bread with each other, and finding common
ground whenever possible. I fear that is not at all
what we’ve done."

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Look at the source.  1791L produced this content and has a channel on YouTube of which this is but just a single example.  This is from a production company with an incredibly right leaning balance bordering on agenda...OK, it's full on crossed into agenda territory.  This is not an unbiased look at the landscape of late night television.  Within fifteen seconds it posits the theory that not only is Trump unique in the entertainment industry in that it became obsessed with a single individual (seriously?!?), but that obsession was a "panicked" reaction by a class "rapidly dwindling in its influence".  Agenda much?  I listened for a few more minutes, but as it had already laid out a flawed thesis, I quickly became bored and shut it out.  

This is nothing more than trash.  I'd say the same if it were coming from a far left production company laying out an absurdly similar thesis.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Within fifteen seconds it posits the theory that not only is Trump unique in the entertainment industry in that it became obsessed with a single individual (seriously?!?), but that obsession was a "panicked" reaction by a class "rapidly dwindling in its influence". Agenda much?

••

Remember the "Information Highway"? These guys have learned just what Rump has learned: on the internet it is possible to say anything, no matter how ludicrous, and most people won't check the facts. They will just repeat and repeat what they've heard.

Once upon a time, I created a villain called Rumor. His power was to compel anyone who heard him to repeat what he said as if it were true.

And here we are.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thomas, this is not what helped him get elected @ all. He played, & continued to play, the fascists playbook.

It’s the same playbook that was used during Brexit.

Exaggerate everything negative about those that are not ‘us’, create fear where there is no reason to fear, blame others for things they are not responsible for, & suggest a simple solution - get rid of everyone who is not ‘us’.

& idiots lapped it up. In both cases.

End of.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Rump pandered to White fear, and it got him elected. It will do so again in 2020.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Matt, did you watch the 1791L video on Bias?

https://youtu.be/GLtei
9ZoGEI

Edited by Thomas Woods on 09 June 2018 at 11:38am

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I think that video is way off base - in particular, the constant reference to a laugh track is an outright lie.  The late night talk shows in question are live to tape on the same day they air. Even a casual review of these shows reveals many instances of jokes bombing to dead silence - it’s the mark of a good talk show host in how they handle these moments.  They do not have a laugh track, and if they do then they are doing a lousy job in using it!

I think we are in a renaissance of great comedy in the late night talk show format.  I’m a huge fan of the form, and I regularly watch John Oliver, Bll Maher, and Samantha Bee on a weekly basis, and I DVR Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, and Conan O’Brien.  I watch Oliver in its entirety, but I tend to just watch the monologues/comedy segments of the daily shows.  I’m often like a catch and release fisherman, dumping episodes when I get behind.

Lately, Oliver, Colbert and Kimmel have been essential viewing, because their monologues are so topical.  Conan is deliberately counter programming his comedy to absurdist escapism, which is a welcome break from time to time,  Oliver, Colbert and Kimmel’s topical comedy is it its best when it reveals objective truth.  They regularly point out the absurdity of the Trump administration’s lies, and they do it in a way that is a comedic release in abhorant times.  We have a president who lies - good comedy exposes lies and serves as a kind of release.

And that’s one of the other issues with the video in this post.  It’s a weak attempt at comedy - it uses a “Twiilight Zone” look and a bad Rod Serling imitator to try and redefine these comedians as otherworldly.  And it fails miserably, showing once again that the far right’s comedy is as deceptive and untruthful as their politics.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

You didn't answer last time I asked so I'll try again
(if you've done an equivalent post before give me a
thread and I'll go there): what criticisms do you
think are unfair? What has President Trump done that
makes him worthy of praise and should silence his
critics? What positions have late night show hosts
been mocking unfairly? Where do you think the current
administration has gotten hammered where the previous
administration got a pass? Which conservative pundits
and comedians do you feel are more even handed*?I've
seen a fair bit of anti-anti-Trump from you, but which
of his positions and methods are worthy of praise?

---

I just noticed this, so was not trying to ignore your
questions.

I don't think anyone should be silenced and everyone
is open to criticism.

For me personally, Trump kinda walked into a room
where two actors were putting on a play, using scripts
they have been using all along, and kinda broke up the
play, tossed their scripts into the air and made them
look like the pretenders they are.

This does not mean that Trump himself is immune to the
acting, but he came out and said what he was going to
do and he meant it, and you either agree with him or
you don't.

What has President Trump done that makes him worthy of
praise and should silence his critics?

It should never silence his critics. I'm all for the
late night hosts being free to continue, but it does
just solidify resentment and doesn't try to win over
minds. "You watch CNN, lol" and "you watch FOX news,
lol" isn't going to get us anywhere.

- Getting rid of the health mandate.
- Going away from globalism and the EU. Like Italy has
recenlty done.
- Not act out of compassion at the detriment of your
own people. Limit immigration to sustainable levels.
- Enforcing laws that every president said they were
going to, but were just talking.

I can't list them all.

Where do others get a pass where this one doesn't?
I will give a few examples:

- Trump has a meeting with Russians -- Very suspicious

- Hillary is being investigated and Bill has a private
meeting with the DOJ in an airplane - nothing
suspicious here

- Hillary destroyed ipads/phones with hammers -- no
big deal, move along

- Hillary was hacked -- who are these Hackers?! We
have to stop them (instead of focusing on what the
hacking revealed)

Edited by Thomas Woods on 09 June 2018 at 1:43pm

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

in particular, the constant reference to a laugh track
is an outright lie.

---

I thought about that myself. When Comey was fired, up
until that point the left hated him and wanted him
fired, so when Stephen Colbert announced on his show
that Trump fired him he was taken off guard that
everyone cheered. But he was suddenly against it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Thomas Woods wrote:
Matt, did you watch the 1791L video on Bias?

Nope and I'm not going to either.  I get who they are by this video alone.  Not going down the rabbit hole of watching their other offerings.  

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Thomas Woods wrote:
I just noticed this, so was not trying to ignore your questions.

Okey doke.

QUOTE:
I don't think anyone should be silenced and everyone is open to criticism.

Not what I meant. The general viewpoint of a significant portion of this country is that he's doing a terrible job. Even a portion of those happy with the results are upset about the methods.

So what are those people supposed to look to in order to calm concerns arising from his actions?

QUOTE:
This does not mean that Trump himself is immune to the acting, but he came out and said what he was going to do and he meant it, and you either agree with him or you don't.

So where is the "easy and so much better" health care plan, Mexico-financed border wall, "easy to negotiate" Middle East peace, etc., etc.?

And why all the lies?

QUOTE:
It should never silence his critics. I'm all for the late night hosts being free to continue, but it does just solidify resentment and doesn't try to win over minds. "You watch CNN, lol" and "you watch FOX news, lol" isn't going to get us anywhere.

But that's not what they do. It's "Fox News says something is bad when Democrats do it and either say it's good or turn a blind eye when Republicans do it, LOL." It's "CNN has misplaced priorities, LOL." When they make fun of actual supporters, it's white supremacists carrying tiki torches or the Trump voter who is complaining about ICE deporting half of his staff.

And if Obama was still talking about his inaguration crowd a year later, he'd get mocked, too. (Of course, if Obama talked it about it on January 21st, Fox News would have given him crap for it...)

QUOTE:
- Getting rid of the health mandate.

I don't understand why conservatives are against this one (the ones genuinely against it; not the ones milking it for political reasons). The whole root of the mandate was "if you want coverage for pre-existing conditions and help buying health insurance, you need to do your part." That's a pretty conservative notion. I agree it's the least popular element of the health care law, but I don't like the fact my credit card company wants their money back either.

QUOTE:
- Going away from globalism and the EU. Like Italy has recenlty done.

And replaced it with what? How do we benefit?

QUOTE:
- Not act out of compassion at the detriment of your own people. Limit immigration to sustainable levels.

Hasn't actually done anything about that. Plenty of monstrous deeds and pissing off the world enough that we're taking hits in the tourism industry, but the thing they're supposedly trying to stop (illegal immigration) seems to be undergoing an uptick again. (And if they were really worried about immigrant labor for reasons other than juicing racists for votes, they'd put policies in place that affected the people who hire them.)

QUOTE:
- Enforcing laws that every president said they were going to, but were just talking.

Such as?

QUOTE:
I can't list them all.

As long as you're happy...

QUOTE:
- Trump has a meeting with Russians -- Very suspicious

Which one? The one where his son met with Russian before the election to get dirt on Hillary? (And then made a false statement about?) The one where he leaked Israeli intelligence? The one where he ditched the media first?    

People are treating certain meetings as suspicious because these things don't happen in a vacuum. A significant portion of his campaign had meetings with Russian officials and then lied about them. Suspicious. Our intelligence apparatus all agree Russia conspired to help him get elected and rather than say something like "I don't care if Putin did anything or not. I was elected to put America first." Instead he's all, "um, maybe it's a fat guy in China."

QUOTE:
- Hillary is being investigated and Bill has a private meeting with the DOJ in an airplane - nothing suspicious here

Where's the "getting a pass" part? It was widely reported and criticzed and, as a result, the individual in question, to avoid the appearance if impropriety, recused herself from the investigation and agreed to defer to the FBI's recommendation.

QUOTE:
- Hillary destroyed ipads/phones with hammers -- no big deal, move along

It ISN'T a big deal if you're aware of Government IT policies. Even when a system isn't used for classified processing, your typical Government computer will have plenty of sensitive unclassified information (FOUO, personnel info, etc.) so standard practice with disposing of that hardware is to make absolutely sure the data isn't retrievable. I would hope that the Trump adminstration is doing the same thing.

QUOTE:
- Hillary was hacked -- who are these Hackers?! We have to stop them (instead of focusing on what the hacking revealed)

Again, mainstream media was happy to report on both the information and how it was obtained, so where's the pass?

QUOTE:
I thought about that myself. When Comey was fired, up until that point the left hated him and wanted him fired, so when Stephen Colbert announced on his show that Trump fired him he was taken off guard that everyone cheered. But he was suddenly against it.

Yeah, it's almost like WHY Comey was fired mattered or something.

I wasn't sad to see Comey go, but the President firing a guy, not being able to come up with a consistent reason why and then telling Lester Holt and Russians he did it because he was annoyed that Comey was investigating him should worry anyone who believes in the rule of law and that the mechanisms of law enforcement in this country shouldn't be treated as employees of the Trump Organization.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The general viewpoint of a significant portion of
this country is that he's doing a terrible job. Even a
portion of those happy with the results are upset
about the methods. So what are those people supposed
to look to in order to calm concerns arising from his
actions?

I think many who are just against his policies will
find any reason to be concerned no matter what his
methods are. The ones who just don't like him being a
jerk or acting childish, I don't know how to answer.
He is who he is and it will either be his downfall or
not. People will have to weigh his methods vs his
results.

So where is the "easy and so much better" health
care plan, Mexico-financed border wall, "easy to
negotiate" Middle East peace, etc., etc.? And why all
the lies?

He has tried, been blocked. I haven't heard anything
about a better plan, he probably doesn't have one. But
if the do have one, maybe search for it. As for lies,
they have all lied. I guess then it comes down to what
lies are the most damaging or criminal.

But that's not what they do. (FOX/CNN/critics)

Again, mainstream media was happy to report on both
the information and how it was obtained, so where's
the pass?

This would take a lot of research, links, and data to
debate. But it boils down to sides suppressing what
they don't want front page. Yes the opposition will
report the news, but will they nail it into your mind
repeatedly or report on it and move on to the next
thing? I think there is a good case that this is so.

EDIT:

So I started digging around and see various charts,
some show Hillary got the raw end of the deal on news
reporting, some show other perspectives and I guess it
is all how you gather the date and skew it, the source
of the info, and how much you trust them. I am totally
open to being wrong on that specific example.

Edited by Thomas Woods on 09 June 2018 at 7:09pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Thomas Woods wrote:
I think many who are just against his policies will find any reason to be concerned no matter what his methods are.

Wow, that's dismissive... (Next time, try dropping the "find any reason to" part. Losing the "just" would help, too.)

QUOTE:
The ones who just don't like him being a jerk or acting childish, I don't know how to answer. He is who he is and it will either be his downfall or not. People will have to weigh his methods vs his results.

True enough.

I wrote:
So where is the "easy and so much better" health care plan, Mexico-financed border wall, "easy to negotiate" Middle East peace, etc., etc.?

And then Thomas Woods wrote:
He has tried, been blocked. I haven't heard anything about a better plan, he probably doesn't have one. But if the do have one, maybe search for it.

In what ways has "he tried?" Where are the indications he worked through the policy minutae with his advisors, came up with a plan that can be sold to the public and elected officials (or heck, a plan period - his grand health care plan was "Well, Paul and Mitch? Whatcha got?"), recognized that he isn't a King but rather someone who has to work through the concerns of those who aren't necessarily inclined to support his desires, etc.? You know, trying.

The number one complaint about him is that he shows no interest in the actual work part of the job. Getting to say he's President? All for it. Using his position to drum up interest in his properties and help his friends? Sure thing. Holding re-election campaign rallies 15 minutes after he took office? Yep. Going to countries that will hold celebrations in his honor? Okey doke. Actually understanding the country he's trying to run and the world he's a part of? Yawn.

"Trying and getting blocked" implies he put forth genuine effort and nothing came of it. (Or the Obama model where his opposition was for something until he was willing to go along with it.) when did that happen?

QUOTE:
I guess then it comes down to what lies are the most damaging or criminal.

Well, undermining the country's faith in the FBI because they're investigating you is pretty bad...

QUOTE:
This would take a lot of research, links, and data to debate. But it boils down to sides suppressing what they don't want front page. Yes the opposition will report the news, but will they nail it into your mind repeatedly or report on it and move on to the next thing? I think there is a good case that this is so.

Again, every example you gave was reported repeatedly. Maybe not to Fox News levels of obsession, but hardly at the "making a perfunctory note of it because they must" level either.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Again, every example you gave was reported
repeatedly. Maybe not to Fox News levels of obsession,
but hardly at the "making a perfunctory note of it
because they must" level either.

I was editing my previous post and came out to see
your new post...

Wow, that's dismissive...

I have people on my facebook friends list that post
non stop about Trump and Russia, knowing that they
were Sanders fans, and knowing they hated Trump
regardless, they just want him to hang. I cannot read
their hearts, but if I had a time machine and went
back and reversed the win and Sanders won, with
Sanders in a scandal with Russia, I would not be
surprised at all if they were not posting a damn thing
about it and not caring if he did.

That is not one sided, I think a lot of people are
like that and just want their guy in there and will
defend/attack based on that.

In what ways has "he tried?"

He tried to repeal Obamacare and was blocked, he has
tried to get a wall going, blocked. I thought I saw
him tweet that they have been working on a plan, but
no details beyond that. Seems he has sidelined it.

Well, undermining the country's faith in the FBI
because they're investigating you is pretty bad...

How can any group of authority be fully trusted? I'm
sure the FBI and CIA have done some pretty bad things
when the ends justify the means. And how is that any
different than undermining the faith in police
officers? Can't trust the police, but the FBI are
saints? True it looks bad that he is attacking them
when being investigated.

Edited by Thomas Woods on 09 June 2018 at 7:47pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Thomas Woods wrote:
I was editing my previous post and came out to see your new post...

Fair enough.

QUOTE:
if I had a time machine and went back and reversed the win and Sanders won, with Sanders in a scandal with Russia, I would not be surprised at all if they were not posting a damn thing about it and not caring if he did.

The problem with those "well, what if it was Your Guy" scenarios is that you don't believe Your Guy would be IN this situation. "What if the Democrat had attempted to appeal to white resentment to win the election" doesn't compute given their demographics and current policies.    

QUOTE:
That is not one sided, I think a lot of people are like that and just want their guy in there and will defend/attack based on that.

Yes, which is why videos that seem to purport it's a "late night left-leaning comedian" thing while completely disregarding the Hannitys of the world get annoying. Hillary bemoans the sixth Benghazi investigation and it's "what is she trying to hide?" Trump can't even get through one collusion investigation without losing it every weekend and it's "IS it a witch hunt?"

QUOTE:
He tried to repeal Obamacare and was blocked,

"Repealing Obamacare" is not "getting everyone better insurance." It's disrupting the healthcare and insurance market while you come up with... something to replace it. Eventually. When you get around to it.

"Trying" would have been to HAVE that replacement healthcare plan in hand and being able to show how it makes things better. And again, he didn't have one. He SAID he did. He SAID he was going to unveil it anytime now. But he never did and no one who worked for him was able to confirm a plan ever existed.

So hardly an example of "trying and was blocked."

QUOTE:
he has tried to get a wall going, blocked.

If Mexico's paying for it, why does Congress need to pony up the cash?

And for that matter, the Democrats had been willing to give him his wall in exchange for a DACA deal but he spiked it because he decided there needed to be a deal that would also appease immigration hawks (who of course want all the DACA people gone; which makes it a little difficult...).

At one point it was "if Democrats don't agree to this deal that deports the DACA folks, I'll deport the DACA folks," which is basically "if you don't shoot the hostage, I'll shoot the hostage." How is THAT supposed to work?

Negotiation is not "I get what I want and you get to suck it." It's knowing what you want, what they want, where you're willing to give in, where they're willing to give in, etc. Until and unless he's willing to do the work, he's not trying anything and there's nothing for anyone to block, much as he likes to claim otherwise.

QUOTE:
How can any group of authority be fully trusted? I'm sure the FBI and CIA have done some pretty bad things when the ends justify the means. And how is that any different than undermining the faith in police officers? Can't trust the police, but the FBI are saints? True it looks bad that he is attacking them when being investigated.

Pointing to specific incidents and expressing concern over what it implies about the organization as a whole is fair game. Looking for excuses to cry "WITCH HUNT!!!!!!!" on a daily basis is not the same thing.

No, the FBI and CIA aren't saints. (Although apparently supporting torture isn't a dealbreaker for Trump...) But when Obama criticized police officers it was based on their actions against innocent people (or at the very least people whose crimes didn't warrant execution). When Trump criticizes law enforcement, it's only about how they're not leaving him and his friends alone and complaining they're not investigating Hillary again. Not the same thing.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

This video was a waste of time. What a total BS !

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version