Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Cloak & Dagger (ABC Spark) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Two episodes in and I'm not really sure, but I will give it at least one more ep. I think I was able to follow Legion pretty well, and I had read the New Mutants and X-Men #117 it was based on. For C&D I've read one Spectacular Spider-Man and two four issue mini-series, and I'm having a really hard time with the quick jump cuts, sudden fades, and altered reality light/dark dreamspace things of following everything.Oh, plus people's iPhone screen messages, I'll have to try again some times on the HD set I guess. They better make a bit more sense for episode 3. I want to love this show and I'm just not. I did see the Mantlo and Hannigan creator credit pretty clearly though.

Anyone else here have the same feelings?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2018 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I barely made it through.  

I think they broke the first rule of any TV show, movie, or what have you--am I supposed to like these characters in any way?  Dagger is just a thoroughly awful person here, and Cloak is just annoying.

Likable or interesting--and nobody here is either.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Tyrone was likable enough for me, but even with the lousy Mom it was hard to relate to Tandy. Hmmm, T n' T, a bit corny... I wonder if that was planned?

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Do I need to buy something/subscribe to watch this?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just basic cable Ted. Freeform.

I watched the first 2 episodes. I might have to run into it to watch any more, I wont look hard for it.

I did have a chuckle when the priest/preacher was giving his sermon and showed a row of girls sitting in a pue with there heads bowed. Only for the camera to swing around and show them all actually looking at their phones.

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

YAWN!!!! And that's with the benefit of having recorded it and skipping past commercials.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

We're giving it another couple of episodes, but even if it's an extended series with plenty of time for setup - it's taking too long. What I'm seeing is a drug abusing girl on the streets who is a thief, a prostitute, and a runner; and a young man who's being mistreated because his older brother died, and ignored by his parents, teachers, etc.

This is not engaging. If they didn't have powers, the stories would be the same. So I want something to enjoy pretty soon.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I can't remember anything about the characters anyway except that they're Catholic and got their powers from drugs of some sort. And this series is very much for teens. I'm in my 40s. It hardly matters if I like it or not. So, skipping it. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It tries too hard to be gritty/current and 'cutting edge' in style as well as. There could be a great Cloak & dagger, even with these two lead actors, but this is off to a really bad start, worse maybe than the Inhumans, at least that had Hawaii and Lockjaw..

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Watched a few episodes... and quickly realized that ONCE MORE, "clever" writers thought they could improve upon the source material and alter Cloak & Dagger's origin. BIG mistake.... as mentioned on this thread, these characters aren't very likable.

Creators Mantlo and Hannigan managed to make Tyrone & Tandy sympathetic as teen runaways who are kidnapped and injected with the drugs that give them their powers. This series seems to struggle with the right tone, especially for the intended audience.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version