Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: "Twice Up" Artwork Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hoping any of the comic book historian fans (or people in the know) might be able to answer this one.  In the Jack Kirby Artist Edition thread, there was mention that some of the pages were "twice up" artwork.  

I was reading an article here:
http://www.artofthecomicbook.com/history/art-reduction.htm

and it says "Like publishers of magazines and newspapers, comic book companies didn't regulate artist's working preferences. Judging from Golden Age and Silver Age originals, the most popular production art size was 12 1/2" x 18 1/2" (also called "double up"). As long as artists adhered to the 2/3 ratio of the printed live art zone of 6" x 9", editors didn't care how big the art boards were."

My question: why would an artist choose to work on a "twice up" board?  I would think a double-up size would be WAY more work?  And if the rate is the same, it's more work for the same money?  (My understanding what that page rates were not great in the "olden days", so any legitimate reason to not kill yourself at the art board would be a good thing I would think?)

Thanks in advance!
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I can't speak to the big pros' thinking, but I've been playing with different sizes a lot the last few years and I think I might be able to provide some insight.

I've self-published a bunch of comics, I've had a couple of jobs for smaller publishers, and I've done a lot of smaller size giveaway comics for a specialty publisher--and I've also experimented just for fun.

Smaller is quicker and easier, but mistakes are more obvious.  Figures are easier to do smaller, but backgrounds turn out to be easier the larger you go.  If you can ink with a fine point, smaller is okay, but if you use brushes or thicker pens, then bigger is the way to go.

Most of the giveaway comics I've done were published at about 4 x 7 inches.  The first one I did, the original art was 11 x 17 in., but with the follow-ups I did the originals at pretty much printed comic size (on 8.5 x 11 sheets).  So, the lines on the first one were reduced quite a bit for print, and it turned out really nice!  Fine lines always look great!  But it was somewhat wasted effort.  The later ones were smaller and therefore reduced less, but turned out just fine for that size.  After my experimentation, I can always tell when a name pro has either switched to smaller originals or switched to thicker pens or brushes.

Compare 60's Ditko to 80's Ditko--a great example  His early SPIDER-MAN was printed with a lot of fine lines and heavy detail in the buildings, etc.  His later work had thicker lines and less detail--he either switched paper or switched pens/brushes.  Sometimes, these changes come down to an artist just getting older and can't see quite as well.  In that case, it would be nice to still have the option of working twice up, but photocopiers and scanners that can fit that size are hard to find.  (Do the pros still send in original artwork?  I have to imagine it all gets emailed in or dropboxed now.)

So, basically, if I want (or need) to be messy, working at a larger size hides that messiness better.  But working smaller or larger might end up being the same amount of work--it's just whatever the individual artist is more comfortable with.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 05 June 2018 at 11:54pm

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The more I learn the more I realize I don't know.  This is great, thanks!  I just assumed the larger size meant more work, but that is a great point about the varying detail.  I always found it odd that some comics covers (in the same run, by the same artist) have amazing detail, and then other covers have much less detail.  Sigh I wish I was a fly on the wall when some of the artistic decisions were made, it would be like hanging out in the studio when some great rock band is recording an album. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've handled and seen in person various examples of original artwork from comic books (and strips) of the '40s and '50s and they were often huge (not 11 x 17" with a 10 x 15" frame). I have some photostats still of the so-called smaller sizes (which were still large) and could go measure them exactly for you, but there was an even larger size that I don't think I do have any stats of as they would have had to have been done in more than two parts (due to the photostat machine available).

As to the why... brushes and old style dip-type nib pens, and sometimes charcoal and grease-pencil for shading.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's practical: the greater the reduction, the sharper the final image.

Then paper started to get expensive...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version