Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Question About A Review Of The Bride Of Frankenstein Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In the latest issue of sci-fi magazine "Starburst", a reviewer said this about THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN:

Elsa Lanchester plays Mary in this sequence, pre-empting her arrival as the monster's bride at the film's climax. It's an intriguing addition that emphasises the fictitious nature of the movie, lending it a sort of twisted storybook feel.

I can't pretend I understand what is meant by that last sentence. 

Anyone? 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Don't try to draw a thread between that opening and the rest of the movie! Not only is Mary "continuing" the story based on the previous movie, rather than her novel, she sets that continuation a hundred years or so into her future!

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I can see the opening with Mary Shelley emphasizes the fictitious nature, but I think any "twist" to it expects us to recognize (and to have been expected to recognize) Elsa Lanchester as both the author and her creation in appearances separated by the length of the movie. The Bride is only identified as "?" in the credits. I had to be told, so I am already looking at the movie as a work rather than an experience.

You want twisted? What if the Bride escaped the explosion, too, and eventually took an identity as an Englishwoman? The Universal monster movies don't take place in our world, The Wolf Man and the monster rallies are in a Europe empty of Nazis, so why couldn't Byron and them show up later, in fashion that has cycled back around?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version