Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Roseanne, Racism, & Ratings Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2018 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There have been a lot of folks on the internet demanding that Fox pick up the show which is pretty funny since Disney, which owns ABC, is currently negotiating to buy Fox. So if that all went through, the new boss would be same boss that already fired her and nothing would have changed.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

When I said the show made me laugh out loud, any part without one of the three leads was when I would check my phone. I think people who do not watch the show are ones that think it can work without Roseanne. Roseanne is the character that all is played off of. There would never be a chance of the show going to another network, none of those actors will ever work with Rosanne again, it would ne career suicide. There is only one thing, with the slimmest of chance, that could revive the show. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

ABC is exploring the possibility of re-branding the show and focusing on Sara Gilbert's character Darlene instead of Roseanne. Considering the jobs lost, it's worth a shot. ABC has nothing to lose.

++++++++++++++++++++
I'm still not sure it would work, but it definitely is worth a shot. Now, if the focus was going to be Jackie (Okay in small doses, but would wear out her welcome as a lead) or Becky (Unlikeable and too selfish), I probably wouldn't watch.

I just think it would be funny if they keep it going by killing Roseanne off, considering what they did with Dan in the last season of its first run.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That last season Proves that all three leads were needed to make that show work.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I do not approve of Rosanne's controversial statements, but...if the show wasn't cancelled I would still be tuning in to watch it...why??  Because Roseanne the person and Roseanne the tv character are not the same person and I can differentiate between that.  I mean Michael Jackson may well have been a pedophille, I was never sure, but I can still enjoy his music.

Heck, even John Byrne has a bad rep if you read some of the trash on certain sites.  I do not know JB personally and I may agree or disagree with some of the things I hear he says or whatever, but it will not diminish my love for his writing and art over the years.  I can distinguish between the person and the talent.

Roseanne probably has some mental illness issues so should we destroy her career and everyone else associated with the show?  No compassion in the rush to persecute maybe?

Edited by Jeff Scott on 02 June 2018 at 4:33pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

No compassion in the rush to persecute maybe?

óó

Itís not about persecution. Itís about not condoning racism through inaction. 

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

You do not have to condone racism through inaction, heck, Roseanne even apologized...I think she realized after she mouthed off how bad her actions affected other people.  I don't think she is a racist, she just uses very bad judgment when talking!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Roseanne is an entertainer.  She's made millions upon millions of dollars for not doing any actual work which contributes to a functioning society.  A lot of what she's done in the last 15 years is reality television, not acting.  Her job is to make people laugh, and help them have a good time as they take a break from their daily lives.

So when she does something like this, which doesn't entertain people or help them have a good time, in fact, which does the opposite, angers them and makes them unhappy, she has screwed up and is bad at her job.  This isn't her first strike, either.

If I repeatedly screw up and do a bad job, I will get fired.  Why should she be any different?  Is what she does just super important, and no one but she can do it?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Talented people are still talented even if they are creeps in some way. It's not place to call for someone's job to be taken away by a private company, it was the company's choice. I cannot however imagine the kind of willful blindness or moral gymnastics it would take to not 'believe' Roseanne or Donald Trump are not racist. I really weep for neither as any kind of victim treated unfairly.

Did you see that magazine photo of Roseanne dressed as Hitler with a tray of little burned gingerbread people from an oven? Holy sh... not racist? You'd have to be blind. There are various photos from that session all over the web. How out of context could that possibly be? No amount of money could get me to do something like that no matter if it was someone else's idea.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 02 June 2018 at 6:48pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jeff Scott wrote:
You do not have to condone racism through inaction, heck, Roseanne even apologized...I think she realized after she mouthed off how bad her actions affected other people.  I don't think she is a racist, she just uses very bad judgment when talking!

This isn't the first time she's likened a black woman to an ape.  Racism is complex, and there can be varying degrees of racism.  I remember reading jazz saxophonist Art Pepper's autobiograpy.  Pepper was a brilliant musician but a vile person in many ways.  He served time for drug-related offenses, and in discussing his prison years he shows deeply racist attitudes when talking about some of his fellow inmates who were black.  Yet later in the book when he mentions John Coltrane, he puts him on a pedestal and praises him to the skies both musically and personally, and he has positive things to say about other black musicians he worked with.  Rather than viewing racism as an either/or, "you are or you aren't" situation, it's more realistic to acknowledge that people can have varying degrees of racist attitudes and behaviors.

At any rate, Roseanne wasn't fired for being a racist but for saying something offensive that ABC/Disney was concerned would reflect poorly on their company and hurt their bottom line in the long term.  I'm sure the fact that it was part of a long pattern of saying offensive and/or controversial things weighed in the decision.  Roseanne did apologize, but the tenor of her apology seemed insincere, as it was accompanied by retweets of further insults toward Valerie Jarrett.  If this had been an isolated incident and she'd apologized in a manner that didn't seem defensive and insincere, I suspect the show would not have been cancelled.

"Rush to persecute"?  If you are fired for behavior that your employer deems unacceptable, that is not persecution.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 03 June 2018 at 12:37pm

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
If you are fired for behavior that your employer deems unacceptable, that is not persecution.

Sure, if I did it while at work on the clock. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"It's not fair" "I'm being terribly victimized" "It's the liberal media." "How come she doesn't get fired too then?"

The new conservatism? :^|

So if things are going to be so very very equal believe me, I want Trump to call Roseanne all the things he's called Rosie over the years... or maybe worse, start talking about them like he talks about his '10' daughter who he'd be dating if she wasn't his daughter? Rosanne may've been sharp at one time but I bet she'd never have thought to say what I just wrote... on our 'knees' like those apprentices for promises of such great jobs? Enough 'winning', most people are sick of it as predicted. You try to work around him, you kind of have to, and like a toddler wanting it to be all about them he still inserts himself to get attention, usually involving tv ratings. A lot of people must like the show or they'd tune out.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 03 June 2018 at 12:38pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Jeff Scott wrote:
Sure, if I did it while at work on the clock.

Depends on the terms of employment.  We don't know anything about Roseanne's contract, or whether she had been warned about such behavior before this.  And regardless, it's hardly unusual for employers to fire people for off-time statements or behavior that they consider damaging to the company's image and mission.  I suspect I would be fired quickly if I made racist statements in a public forum and my employers became aware of this. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Sure, if I did it while at work on the clock.  "

Not according to the company I work for.
As a salaried associate, If you do or say something that the company  determines may be a detriment to it's public image, and they become aware of it, you will be released.
I've seen it happen.

edit to add quote

Edited by Doug Centers on 03 June 2018 at 12:51pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Plus, since Roseanne was, up until quite recently, primarily a reality TV star, her 'job' was to be a celebrity and a personality.  When that's your job, any public statement you make in the media is 'on the clock'.

If she was secretly recorded saying this to a friend or family member in the privacy of her own home, you might have a point.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I think people who do not watch the show are ones that think it can work without Roseanne. Roseanne is the character that all is played off of.

Actually, I've watched the show on & off through the years and I think it can absolutely work without Roseanne; I see it as a FAMILY dynamic type of set-up. ALL of the cast play a part and Roseanne is just one piece. 

With clever writing, a proper spin-off could work with Darlene, Dan & Jackie being the leads.... heck, I'd dare say keep Roseanne ALIVE off camera. (Perhaps send her to a mental health facility.) Keep it positive and raise awareness to the issue, however don't make it overshadow the other characters and their storylines.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I am sure there is a morals clause in her contract. Plus she was not fired they cancelled the show and that is ABC's right no matter what the reason. They did not fire the checkout girl for her views they closed down the store and gave everyone his/her pink slip.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

One of my Supervisors was bad mouthing the employer on Facebook and he was fired 2 hours later via telephone. He later told me he did it on purpose because he wanted to get fired, but I suspect he was drunk!

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It is interesting, the picture of Roseanne from a magazine dressed as Hitler with burnt people cookies has been brought up in many places. Those pictures are used as part of the proof of her racism because there could be no context that that was acceptable. A person from the Jewish magazine that the pictures were in gives an explanation. The pictures can still be thought of as unacceptable but do they point to her being an anti semitic Jew.

http://heebmagazine.com/_heeb_-publisher-comes-clean-on-barr -brouhaha/4502

I am not defending Roseanne, just pointing out that sometimes the whole story should be told before jumping to conclusions. Yes, it does not take away from any of the other crappy things she has said or done.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I am not defending Roseanne, just pointing out that sometimes the whole story should be told before jumping to conclusions. Yes, it does not take away from any of the other crappy things she has said or done.

óóó

The whole story was told in 2009, which is when this photo spread happened and when your article dates from. Even after the explanation, people thought the pictures were inappropriate. A lot of people criticizing Roseanne for them understood the context.  Donít assume people donít know the whole story. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

A context for dressing as Hitler and posing with a tray of burnt  gingerbread men out of an oven with Xs for eyes? Context = idiots with no real connections to those horrific events.

This is like digging up and arguing the minutiae of legal precedents and wordings ad nauseum while a know-nothing fool starts trade wars with no basis but invented' facts' (aka lies to your average layman), when not alternating between kissing fascist dictator ass and demonizing vast groups of his own citizenry.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The article I cited was published after Roseanne as cancelled, and I did not know the whole story.

I would think the people at the Jewish satirical magazine feel a greater connection to the subject than most, being Jewish, including Roseanne. 

I find it in bad taste but do they get a pass, being Jewish, like a black comedian gets a pass for saying the N word?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The article I cited was published after Roseanne as cancelled, and I did not know the whole story.

-----

Look again.

The byline on the article was July 30, 2009 and refers to the "recent photo". Just because you did not know the whole story, don't assume others didn't. It's an old controversy.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Just because someone is jewish doesn't mean they are automatically connected to horrific events and get a pass to make sick jokes about them. My great uncle, I have a photo of his grave in a special cemetery in Holland, was beaten to death in a camp he was taken to for protesting jews being rounded up not even knowing what might happen to them, just participating in a protest transit shut down anyway. He was a righteous gentile. Does the Salt Lake City Utah loudmouth have anyone like that she grew up learning about? I would feel I was doing something horrible on my own great-uncle's grave, and the graves of starving little girls who's toes broke off frozen when forced to march to escape an advancing liberation! Did she even have anyone on the U.S.S. Indianapolis? Want to make jokes about oil-covered snacks for Jaws then? It's just unimaginable there could be enough money in the universe to make me do such a thing. I'm fine with Viv Stanshall or John Cleese playing dress-up to make a joke of Hitler, but what Rosanne did, and there are multiple photos from that shoot, is absolutely indefensible. I could not have watched her on tv at all if I'd seen that before anymore than I could appreciate a Charles Manson song. No joke or song is worth that, and honestly nobody should need to be told this.

With her money there is no excuse for her not getting some real help. Blaming others and making excuses is not helping her obviously, and sure hasn't worked up to now.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version