Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Solo So Low Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

One of the problems is these types of movies are getting so expensive the powers that be throw everything in to put butts in the seats. They must have a check list of characters and situations that each script has to employ to get every possible demographic. That big opening week is critical now, a movie does not get to build an audience anymore.  
Back to Top profile | search

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Interesting article in The New Yorker on about Star Wars becoming more of an aesthetic like 007 than a story. Argument bolstered by my favorite William Gibson quote:

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks for the link Conrad, I enjoyed it.
While there I came across the following
review.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/wookiee-nigh ts-solo-a-
star-wars-story-reviewed

While I haven't seen Solo yet, it really feels like this reviewer hates the source
material and is reviewing how much they hate it rather than the film.
How dare the film take itself seriously, don't they know how stupid they are?

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There was one scene in the movie where I rolled my eyes and knew the filmmakers really did not get it. When Han meets Chewbacca and starts doing everybody's bad Wookie imitation.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

How was Ant man a misstep? They're making a sequel, right? I personally loved it and loved him in his subsequent appearances.

I am surprised at the vitriol for the new films. 

I guess at some point (probably with Voyager in Trek and the 3rd X-Men film) I just decided it was counter-productive to my well-being to be mad about what people did with their fictional universes.If they take a turn I don't like I bail. It doesn't take away the stuff I like from before. Sure, I don't get MORE NEW stuff but I always have my favorites to revisit.

But  getting impossibly MAD because of how things go with these things does seem to just leave us seething and sad and mad. Just go back and watch Empire, Greg and others and imagine the future (and past of) Star Wars in whatever manner you wish. None of this exists anyway, so your imagination isn't any less valid than theirs, ultimately. It's at least no more REAL than yours, right?

Obviously arguing about comics and stuff is fun and is as old as Who would win in a fight superman or the hulk? But, I just see so much real seeming upset in the forum about this stuff and it bums me out.

I do wish that we could somehow find common ground on privilege and access, though. I'm slow to the "woke" game but I'm trying to catch up. We do need to do a better job with representation and opportunity for people of color and women. We've had a long time of doing it poorly and a lot to make up for. Even if it tilts to ONLY women directors and writers and all people of color casts for a while I'd be OK because, dang we're in need of a correction.

Anyway, sorry if this has gone on too long or strayed too far.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's a pity that so many Star Wars fans sat this one out as it was pretty good film. I thought it was a better effort and felt more like SW than either TFA or TLJ. Ah, well. What can ya do? 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I would have gone to see SOLO if people who liked the movie said it was not just good but great. A character like Han Solo deserves a great movie. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I liked Solo. Didn't love it, wasn't deeply moved by it, but I liked it quite a bit.

Someone earlier in the thread likened it to the Marvel comics of the ancient times, and I would definitely second that. I could imagine it as a flashback issue by Goodwin and Infantino. It also gave me a distinct Brian Daley vibe (as in his Han Solo Adventures novels, also from the Proterozoic era of the EU). The stakes aren't especially high, because we know that Han, Chewie, Lando, and the Falcon will all survive, but as far as it went I thought the movie was a competent and satisfyingly Star Wars-ish adventure.

Speaking of old tie-in media, I find it interesting (though not exactly surprising) that so many little particles of EU backstory have migrated back into the new canon. Han makes reference to Coronet City spaceport, the Imperial Academy on Carida, Corellian Engineering Corporation...and I'm pretty sure I caught Lando mentioning Oseon and ThonBoka, out of L. Neil Smith's Lando books. There was probably a lot more that I didn't catch, as I was never a huge EU aficionado.

Edited by Ted Downum on 05 June 2018 at 8:26am

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If I had even a whisper of interest in this movie, it died the moment I learned they provide an "origin" for the name "Solo".

Ye Gods! Save us from fanboys who run around in ever decreasing circles until they disappear up their own a**holes!!

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If I had even a whisper of interest in this movie, it died the moment I learned they provide an "origin" for the name "Solo".

Ye Gods! Save us from fanboys who run around in ever decreasing circles until they disappear up their own a**holes!!

Yeah, that was BAD.  I guess it could have been worse if he'd been at a party and holding a red cup, but it wasn't far off from that.  

Overall, the movie starts out pretty weakly but by the end, I found myself not hating it.  It's weird, I can't go so far as to say I "liked" it, which feels like way too much of a commitment, but it does just enough that I'll probably watch it again at some point.  Kind of like Rogue One.

And I must be a contrarian because the worse Solo does at the box office, the more I'm inclined to accept it.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I saw an article today that was expressing the opinion that the low box office results for Solo could be a good thing as it will force Disney to rethink their approach to the material. I would agree with that sentiment if Solo had been a bad movie. The problem here is that Solo was a very enjoyable movie that I had no quibbles with. Both TFA & TLJ made a lot more money but they were both amongst the weakest SW films in terms of quality and fan reaction. So the message Disney is going to get is that they are on the right track with "bad" movies like TLJ and on the wrong track with "good" movies like Solo. Disney, like any business, is going to follow the money and think that where the bucks are rolling in is the correct direction to go meaning that all the "fans" trying to send them a message with a Solo boycott have succeeded in doing is torpedoing a positive film in favor of more crap.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I would agree with that sentiment if Solo had been a bad movie. The problem here is that Solo was a very enjoyable movie that I had no quibbles with.

While I respect your opinion, there are clearly many who think the opposite (I won't watch it.) and that word of mouth isn't helping SOLO at the box office is something Disney shouldn't overlook. Also, in terms of quality and fan reaction, THE FORCE AWAKENS accomplished what it set out to do.... even if it was very familiar to SW fans. One thing is true, Disney is going to follow the money.

-C!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

They'll draw up a pie chart and decide the next movie must have a planet-sized enemy base/weapon rolled into one and said base/weapon must go bang.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I would agree with that sentiment if Solo had been a bad movie. The problem here is that Solo was a very enjoyable movie that I had no quibbles with.

While I respect your opinion, there are clearly many who think the opposite (I won't watch it.) 

-----------------------------
If you won't watch it, how can you have an opinion as to whether its a good movie or not?  Certainly you might have been able to tell from the trailers etc. that it isn't your cup of tea.  You may also have other reasons why you don't want Disney to get your money for this film.  But again, it could very well be a well-written, well-acted, well-directed movie for all you know.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I haven't seen it, Steve, but the fact that the movie is built around the fan-boy obsession with "explaining" things that don't need explanations--Han's last name, why Lando wears capes--is enough to keep me away. 

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

There is nothing in the film about why Lando wears a cape :p

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I often find I don't need to see a movie to have a negative opinion. I just need to pay attention to the opinions of others, especially those who like it!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Roger Ebert had a self-deprecating anecdote about being called at his newspaper by a stranger asking for his opinion of a then-current film; he replied, "I think it's the best film of the year," and was told, "That doesn't sound like something I'd like." 

I thought about that when an especially dull-witted former friend insisted THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS starring Will Smith as "one of the greatest films ever made."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I think I'd be a lot more interested in this if it were just a Han Solo heist movie where Han and Chewie are already Han and Chewie. If I wanted to watch origin stories, there are like 15 cinematic Spider-Man origins.

Not super opposed to it, just feel tepid on the concept.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Explaining Solo's name rung as hollow as Trek 2009's reimagining of how McCoy got his 'Bones' moniker.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Saw it again last night, liked it better the second time. 

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Just got home from seeing it.
I liked it. It didn't feel like STAR WARS, but it was enjoyable as a heist movie. The action sequence with the 'train' was excellent and engaging/fun. Very well staged.

To me the movie seemed to get better as it went along. The first few minutes I thought maybe I was in trouble, but it came together pretty good.
The meh parts weren't all that bad.

He wasn't Harrison Ford, but he made a fair Han Solo.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version