Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: BILLIONS General Discussion Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For a series starring heavyweights like Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis along with an excellent supporting cast, I find it hard to believe that this show hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves.  No awards. I can't even find it nominated for one on IMDb.  I hardly hear anyone talk about it.  It's not a show with a ton of "buzz" like MAD MEN or BREAKING BAD, but I think it's nearly as good as either of those series.  The acting is top notch and the writing is whip smart. My wife and I are rounding out a binge with just five or six episodes left in Season 3 and I find myself really looking forward to every night we watch it.  

The series is about to wrap Season 3 and airs on Showtime.  If you haven't watched it yet, I can't recommend it enough.    
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As yet, I've only seen the first season. Overall, I found it tried a little too hard to make its bad guy a little too good and its good guy a little too bad, and I found the wife's position between the two ridiculously untenable over time. I liked the performances, and the writing, moment to moment, was fine, especially where the marriage was concerned, but the show sacrificed everything on the altar of its "bad is good, good is bad" premise, which rang false or landed ham-handedly at times. 

That said, I wouldn't mind giving Seasons two and three a try to see if the show might improve by getting a little messier and allowing the characters to stop playing so predictably into the show's given dynamic.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I agree with Matt Reed's recommendation. Been loving it from episode 1. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Haven't started on season 3 yet, but I really enjoyed the first two seasons. As Matt said, great performances from all the leads.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
I liked the performances, and the writing, moment to moment, was fine, especially where the marriage was concerned, but the show sacrificed everything on the altar of its "bad is good, good is bad" premise, which rang false or landed ham-handedly at times.

Different strokes.  I don't see that at all.  I see it as what you give up for power but via different avenues. Public or private.  Non profit or for profit.  It's all a dirty game.  

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've heard it's very good and keep meaning to watch it.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I watch anything Damien Lewis is in Life on NBC Homeland on Showtime now Billions 

I loved the first two seasons this season has had some interesting twists and turns but I think I miss the family aspect of Bobby.  Laura is sorely missed this season. The character of Taylor is interesting at times but wasn't a character I wanted to see or get to know outside of the office or the relationship w Bobby.   

Chuck had this long story arc to I don't want to post spoilers but it just seemed odd how quickly or at least it seems for now to walk away from that goal.  

Edited to add I'm at least one episode behind at the moment 

Edited by John Harrison on 29 May 2018 at 1:20pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I had a chance to watch season 2 on DVD recently and enjoyed it very much. Taylor Mason may be my favorite new character on television, and the fact that they're committed to being on the wrong side somehow makes that more interesting. On the whole, I enjoyed the arcs more and enjoyed not knowing how everyone was going to behave based on a simple metric. 

I'm looking forward to seeing season 3 of this.

And John, I agree concerning Damien Lewis. I followed him into this show from the others you mentioned and will likely do the same with his next project.

I also should have mentioned how much I enjoyed the brief appearances by Mary Louise Parker's George. That's a fun character as well.

Edited by Brian Hague on 22 June 2018 at 2:48pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Without going into spoiler territory, Taylor has several very compelling arcs in the current season.  They quickly became one of my favorite characters on the series.  This season also zigged where I thought it was going to zag, as it always does, and set up what should be a very interesting season next summer.  Too long to wait!

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, Taylor really came into their own in a way I was not expecting in Season 3. And, really (also avoiding spoilers), it lead to a change in direction for the whole series which I think will make it more sustainable long-term than the original premise of the show. I'm very much interested in seeing where this goes in Season 4.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Because every discussion of the series needs this remark...

WAGS!!!!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just finished the third season.

I'm worried that there's no truly sympathetic characters left, but that's a minor gripe for a show with so much going for it. Compelling performances, great plot twists, a typical sinister turn from John Malkovich and a great ending. 

Bring on season 4!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Still didn't get a single Emmy nomination.  Not a single one.  What a shame. 

From a "biggest snubs" article in Rolling Stone:

Billions
Showtime had a rough morning. Sure, Shameless star William H. Macy got in again, but regular nominees like Homelands Claire Danes and Ray Donovans Liev Schreiber will have to save their sound bites. (See also: our Twin Peaks entry above.) But the real crime was completely ignoring the chance to finally invite Billions to the party. With shows like Better Call Saulmissing from the ballot, why not turn to a show thats only gotten better each year, turning in its best season to date earlier in 2018? Even just a single nod or two for great performers like Damian Lewis and Asia Kate Dillon could have opened a few doors for more nominations in the future. Get this one right, next year, Emmys. Its starting to get embarrassing.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version