Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: WWI Family Memories. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My grandfather Norval Ford was a 26-year-old farmer in Illinois when he joined the Navy during WWI and married my grandmother after returning from the war (in 1921).  He died in 1970 when I was 7 (he and my grandmother were in their 40's when my mother was born) so I never got to hear about his experiences firsthand, but my mother stills has a picture in his naval uniform aboard ship hanging on her wall.

My uncle served in WWII, my father in Korea (where he was a POW), and my oldest cousin in Viet Nam.

Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My grandfather Wilkie served in WWI alongside Harry Truman in (I think) the 129th Field Artillery Regiment. My father met Truman when he accompanied Wilkie to a regiment reunion in the Fifties; I found Truman's autograph in Dad's safe when I crow-barred it open after his death, along with some holiday correspondence from Truman to my grandfather.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My father was interned during WWII as an illegal alien (He was a Jewish Austrian citizen who, with his family, were sponsored in England just before Germany invaded Poland.  However, he and my Grandfather were later interned due to suspicion that anyone close to Germany might be spies.  The intern camps in Britain became overcrowded, so he went to a camp set up in Canada (in part to get away from his father, who didn't want Dad to go alone).  The allies later figured out that the internment camp members were harmless (in fact, most of my Dad's fellow inmates became scholars like himself). My Dad kept a diary of the experience which was later published. We still have the published copies of this.

My Father-in-law served in the Canadian military (army) and saw action overseas.  He never really talked about the war, except that he would never eat corn (it was considered food for cattle).  My wife's uncle was a paratrooper during WWII and would talk endlessly about it.  Unlike my father in law, her Uncle considered it to be one of the highlights of his life. 
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version