Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Taxpayer Syndrome And "Gravy" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Long-time forum members will no doubt have heard "taxpayer syndrome" and gravy discussed over time!

Here in the UK, some train companies have WiFi on board their trains. Some may ask you to pay for it (metered), others may offer it only in First Class, and others may not have it at all. I have noticed, via social media, more and more complaints about the lack of WiFi on trains - and buses, too.

Isn't this in the same ballpark as "taxpayer syndrome" and "gravy"? Or at least a similar ballpark?

When I buy a train ticket (e.g. Birmingham to London), I'm paying to travel on a train. I'm paying for a seat, although that can't be guaranteed unless I reserve a seat. I may have to stand if it's crowded. That's fine. 

But I don't consider WiFi a right. It's a privilege. It's "gravy". As far as I am concerned, the price I pay for a ticket, whatever the amount is, is about the train driver getting me from A to B. It's nice if there is WiFi (although I prefer to read books on trains or admire scenery). But I don't consider it a right. I don't consider that the ticket entitles me to 100% WiFi access for free. Never.

I post this because, over the last 5-6 years, I've seen a minority of people arguing with a bus driver or train conductor over the lack of WiFi. One guy, who was very rude, said to the conductor, something like, "I've paid for a ticket, and I expect to be able to access the internet." If I'd been the conductor, I'd have said, "No, sir, that ticket gets you your seat and a trip to the destination you have booked."

So, is WiFi "gravy"?
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Is a toilet on a train 'gravy'?

I've been on trains without toilets, but most have them. It goes beyond just a seat and a trip to the destination, but I think most would argue it's closer to a right than a privilege.

WiFi (in general) has been tending towards being something of a necessity. It's an essential for a lot of things, not least checking on travel connections, train times, bookings, info on your destination, bill paying, and so on. Now you may not have to do all these things urgently on a train, admittedly, but they can make your life a hell of a lot easier.

Personally, I'm not at the point that I expect trains to have Wi-Fi. When they do, I think it's a nice touch, so I don't think people should be rude about it to the train company employees.

The fact remains though that the trains in the UK all run on infastructure provided by Network Rail, which is funded by the government, who gets that money from the tax-payer. Maybe that explains the tax-payer syndrome.

I feel Wi-Fi at airports should definitely be available for free. On trains, I think it's a 'nice to have'. I go back to the UK frequently, but as I'm a Canadian resident, I don't have a data contract on my phone when I'm in the UK. Therefore being able to tap into Wi-Fi networks when travelling in trains is a great aid and you can feel a bit lost without it. As I said, it certainly makes your life easier and I imagine it's not a great cost for the operators to offer it.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The general public seem to have developed a sense of
entitlement that`s out of proportion to what most
business`s can afford.I tire of seeing the comments on
Facebook sites of well known stores and people requiring
things so niche as to be stretching the bounds of
credibility!
One person asked if pre-packed sandwiches could be made
without butter or margarine, as they didn`t like either,
i felt that if they`re so picky, they should buy a loaf
and make their own!
I`m sure free wi-fi will eventually be the norm, but
many companies have other priorities at the moment.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You hit my thoughts Bill.

This false sense of entitlement many have developed is spreading at break neck speed.
Not sure if it comes from years of businesses one-upping the other to win your patronage or not, but it's made many people rude and demanding to ground level employees that are unable to make such decisions.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In a way this is nothing new though... I'm sure a hundred years ago there were people with horses or who walked complaining that they shouldn't have to be footing any bill for paved roads. Also people perfectly fine with gas lights and crystal radios not wanting electrical lines all around the line of sight, plus all those poles.

But no, I could care less if there is 'free', or even available at all, wi-fi on buses, trains or ferries, however I do expect some kind of connection in hotels.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don’t expect it while I’m in transit, but like Rebecca, I expect it in hotels - because, generally, i’ll Be in a different country, & I stay in hotels for long periods of time.

Different situation entirely to travelling on a train

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, hotels definitely only get my business if they offer free Wi-Fi in this day and age. Hate the hotels that try and squeeze extra pennies from you by charging for Wi-Fi.

I am 100% sure that Rebecca is right that a hundred years ago there were people with horses :)

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

TANSTAAFL

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

How did we ever survive in hotels prior to WiFi? ;-)

I guess we talked to people. Or just read a book in our hotel rooms...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The wi if Robbie, is to communicate with my family while I am away for two weeks/three weekends @ a time. I have books, I go out, but I want to communicate with my family whilst spending over 10 weeks per year away from them

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I don’t expect it while I’m in transit, but like Rebecca, I expect it in hotels - because, generally, i’ll Be in a different country, & I stay in hotels for long periods of time.
Stay away from Cuba! ;)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Once more with commas? :^)

I'm sure a hundred years ago there were people with horses, or who walked, complaining that they shouldn't have to be footing any bill for paved roads.

---

I need some kind of internet connection for more that recreational/social reasons. They make you do various things this way now I'm surprised anyone can go a couple of weeks without needed to connect. I could find an internet cafe or library of course if I have to, but so much better privacy-wise not to.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version