Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Taxpayer Syndrome And "Gravy" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

How did we ever survive in hotels prior to WiFi? ;-)

I guess we talked to people. Or just read a book in our hotel rooms...
-----------------------------------
Or watched crap on the hotel TV... But the point is you can be much more constructive with Wi-Fi. You can work if you have to, reassure family and friends over your well-being, negotiate contracts, confirm the start time and the best place to park for the wedding that you've travelled 2000 miles to attend and so on... and then share the event that night on Facebook with 600 strangers.

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 May 2018 at 9:20pm
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah, I neglected to say that I also need WiFi so I can work @ night in the hotel
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I recently flew internationally using Air Canada. Not being familiar with the airline, I did not realize that the first leg of the trip, which was 4.5 hours long, was booked on Air Canada Rouge, the budget subsidiary of Air Canada. This meant no complimentary meal, and you had to bring your own device for in-flight entertainment (which required an app that you needed to download before boarding the flight). The alternative was to buy their overpriced snack food and rent an iPad for $10. Suffice it to say I was a bit annoyed, and I would have preferred paying a little bit more for a ticket to have those things included rather than trying to deal with them piecemeal. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I`m not knocking you Michael, but surely you could
have eaten at the airport and survived the 4.5 hours
without starving? Read a book or listen to music on
your phone, it doesn`t HAVE to be digital
entertainment!Yes, i would expect hotels to have wi-fi
included for work and family contact, but if you are
on holiday or having a meal in a restaurant, it is
very liberating to interact with your fellow diners or
just take in the holiday scenery/ambience through your
senses not via a phone/tablet screen.
Edited to add:-I am puzzled as to why you`d need an
app to watch on your own device? Surely you`d have
pre-loaded entertainment on it? My phone and tablet
has hundred`s of cd`s downloaded onto them.

Edited by Bill Collins on 26 May 2018 at 8:52am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

James, I hope, as my reply shows (the smilie), that I am only making a semi-serious point.

WiFi is handy in hotels, I know that. When I've finished in a nightclub or pub, and I get back to the hotel at 1am or 2am, as it's a holiday, I like to catch up on news or stuff. Or e-mail someone. 

In pubs, well I wish some didn't have WiFi. My brother-in-law is an internet addict. We went in a pub once and he rushed to the bar and said, "What's your WiFi password?" Most of our 'conversation' was him checking his horse racing results and placing bets.

If we'd been in one of those country pubs, where they don't always have WiFi, maybe my brother-in-law and I would have been able to have a conversation!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
I`m not knocking you Michael, but surely you could 
have eaten at the airport and survived the 4.5 hours 
without starving?

That's what I thought too. But my flight landed late, and I had to run to my connection on the opposite side of the airport. It was already boarding when I arrived. Considering the second leg of my flight was 10 hours, I was quite angry and starving by the time food service started. So no, I'm NEVER going to take it for granted that I can just eat when the plane lands again.

QUOTE:
Yes, i would expect hotels to have wi-fi included for work and family contact, but if you are 
on holiday or having a meal in a restaurant, it is 
very liberating to interact with your fellow diners or 
just take in the holiday scenery/ambience through your 
senses not via a phone/tablet screen.

I toured Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, and Moscow. Spent several hours a day out in those cities, as well as every evening out dining. Still ended up using the wi-fi in my hotel room and the bus a lot to research things for my trip and take care of things back home.

QUOTE:
I am puzzled as to why you`d need an 
app to watch on your own device? Surely you`d have 
pre-loaded entertainment on it? My phone and tablet 
has hundred`s of cd`s downloaded onto them.

No. My devices are loaded with apps, and any extra space is reserved for photos and videos. I don't download music and movies on my devices. That's what streaming is for.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If we'd been in one of those country pubs, where they don't always have WiFi, maybe my brother-in-law and I would have been able to have a conversation!

----

I've found that when dining with people new, a lot of people want to talk about Trump. I'd rather just stare at my phone in silence, thanks!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Michael, have dinner with me and it'll be a 45-free zone! ;-)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

`Is a toilet on a train 'gravy'?`
well, if it`s a gravy train... ;-)

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A toilet is not like wifi. One is (arguably) a necessity and the other is a luxury. Both are value-added services.

Understanding the difference between necessity and luxury is about as difficult as knowing the difference between opinion and fact. Meaning it shouldn't be hard, but for many it is hard.

The general public has a very hard time differentiating between necessity and luxury. They have an even harder time differentiating want and need. They think because they want it, that equates to needing it, and if they need it, it should be standard, and if it should be standard anyway, then make it free, because I bought a ticket for a seat, you know.

Since wifi is so cheap to install and operate, many businesses have adopted it as a value-added service, which I appreciate.

I've come to expect free wifi because the business world has chosen to walk down that path....at least here in the US.

But I'm not entitled to free wifi.

If folks want to be prepared at all times, buy your own internet antenna. Then you won't have to rely on anyone to get your internet fix. Be self reliant instead of blaming public business and services for your lack of preparedness.

Side note: I was traveling in car with a friend and I thought it was pretty funny (and smart) that he was getting wifi by hopping from source to source as we drove. I had to wonder how many others were hijacking free wifi meant for customers only. 

Was I entitled to that bandwidth?

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 26 May 2018 at 12:07pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was traveling in car with a friend and I thought it was pretty funny (and smart) that he was getting wifi by hopping from source to source as we drove. I had to wonder how many others were hijacking free wifi meant for customers only. 

----

How slow were you driving?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Robert makes some valid points.

I don't know the cost of implementing WiFi. Sure, the big boys (e.g. a chain of pubs) will have them as standard now. But if you go in an independent burger shop, offering a basic service such as £1.50 for a cheese/beef burger, it's highly unlikely they'll be offering WiFi. And when one goes in such places, you notice that people are TALKING TO EACH OTHER!

But even those places get the rude customers. There's a little cafe by mine that is "no frills". Burgers are less than £2. They provide basic tea and coffee, along with cakes. Other foods include sandwiches. But the owner once told me she gets a lot of people expressing dismay, often rudely, at the lack of WiFi.

One is in such a cafe for less than half an hour. Why not just talk to someone in that cafe? Or eat/drink slowly and notice your surroundings?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 26 May 2018 at 12:45pm

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version