Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars
Topic: Boba Fett movie in the works Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-boba -fett-movie-is-happening-james-mangold-direct-1113273

No surprise that this would eventually show up on their schedule, of course. It does feel that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel, though. Much of the mystique of the character came from how little we knew about him. Which was sort of spoiled by the Jango Fett stuff in AotC. And I think kid Boba showed up in one of the animated cartoons as well. Oh well, good luck to Lucasfilm and the projects new crew.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 May 2018 at 2:24am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

GUK. Not a fan of the character. Seeing EMPIRE when it was first released, I was very turned off by the avalanche of new toys. Boba Fett seemed the most blatant of these.

It also bugged the bejeebers out of me that so many fans embraced him as a "cool guy" even before the movie had come out!!

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Said it before, Iíll say it again: Boba Fett stood around looking kinda
cool while doing nothing, then got killed. By accident. Why does
anybody care?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

How long before they just go ahead and remake the original STAR WARS, and call it STAR WARS: A STAR WARS STORY...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As a kid, I liked Boba Fett, but I agree there was never much to him in the films.

That noted, I've had the thought for years that a character with a full face mask, as a rule (there will always be exceptions), is automatically "cool" to people, especially kids. I think it's because a full face mask instantly makes a character more mysterious, and that equals "cool" to many people.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 28 May 2018 at 3:10pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think you hit the nail on the head, Matt H. The character had an air of mystery, and fans could imprint whatever they wanted onto him. Once they revealed Boba as an angry orphaned kid in the prequels, as well as expanded on the Mandalorians in the ancillary material, the mystique of Boba Fett went away.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The character of Boba Fett is worth subjecting to the test question that Red Letter Media applied to make a comparison between the characters in the prequels and the original trilogy. Describe Boba Fett without reference to how he looks, what costume he wore or what his profession or role was in the movies...

Um.

Edited by Peter Martin on 28 May 2018 at 7:26pm

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Describe Boba Fett without reference to how he looks, what costume he wore
or what his profession or role was in the movies...

+++++++
I don't know if I could do that with almost anyone!
Yoda, we he's a small, I mean he's a member of the J...., well.....

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Judge Yoda by his size, do you?
Think not more memorable traits, there are?
Wise, he is. A little stubborn, hmmmm? Inspirational, he can be. Full of sage advice.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Baffled by the popularity of a character who, well, Mr Smearman described it best a few posts ago.

I'd rather see a movie devoted to the Emperor's Royal Guard Academy (if such a place exists) than a Boba Fett movie. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think Boba Fett's characterisation was paper thin, however if all he did was stand around looking cool, who was the guy in the ship that successfully tracked Han to Bespin?

Standing around looking kinda cool while doing nothing then gets killed is accurate for Fett in ROTJ, but he does do a little bit more in ESB.

I'm not sure I'd prefer the Emperor's Royal Guard Academy, but a film about the Emperor himself in some earlier capacity -- if they do have to go back and tell stories from earlier in the saga -- would probably have enough scope to hold my interest. Certainly more than Boba Fett.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's simple, really...

You want Boba Fett in a standalone film?  Fine.  You want him as the lead?  Great.  But his character should be the lead in an ensemble...

BOUNTY HUNTERS: A STAR WARS STORY

There you go.  Also featuring Bossk, Dengar, IG-88, Zuckuss, 4-LOM... that I would pay to see yesterday!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 03 June 2018 at 4:14pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Peter, it was a joke. ;-)

There's no way silent Emperor's Royal Guards could sustain a movie.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Before Boba Fett appeared in Empire, he was introduced in an animated short shown during the much-derided Star Wars Holiday Special. In it, he converses with Luke, impersonates a good guy, and in general, makes a bit of an impression. If you'd seen the Special, (and I did) your perception of Fett as "cool" would not have been based on nothing, and you'd have been looking forward to more from the character.

Granted, Lucas seemed to go as far out of his way as possible to make Boba Fett a non-event and merchandising red herring (see also: Rian Johnson's approach to Star Wars), but Boba Fett still had potential there for about five minutes. More if you believe he crawled out of the Sarlacc pit at some point offscreen. Hey, Han had to be worried by the guy for some reason, right?

Robbie, I could see a Rosencrantz and Guilderstern Are Dead approach to an Emperor's Guards film where we either A.) Find out they're actually as loquacious as can be, exchanging bon mots and wry little observations every moment they're not on duty or B.) Behave as silent characters, ala' Charlie Chaplin's "Little Tramp,*" and interact with their environment with absolute, almost religious, sense of stillness and quiet. Establish a plot where the Emperor is headed for a planet to quell an uprising and sends a pair of Guards ahead to make the proper preparations for his arrival, and then have everything blow up before the Emperor gets there, meaning he's not coming, and our guys have no way home in the middle of a war zone. Tie the whole thing together with a soundtrack that includes Lordes' "Royals," and we are rolling in box office loot. 

* Yes, I know he sang once.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I could probably get on board with that, Brian. :)

I always liked the visual aspects of the Emperor's Royal Guards, they were my favourite toys, too. They probably do look more imposing whilst stationary rather than during movement, but I'll always be a fan!

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

BOUNTY HUNTERS: A STAR WARS STORY

There you go. Also featuring Bossk, Dengar, IG-88, Zuckuss, 4-LOM... that I
would pay to see yesterday!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version